Jez1980

Soi Twilight closing....what?

Last night was a quiet night . But overall, Twilight has been fairly busy .

I was told this will only affect Twilight. Everywhere else should be business as usual.

Dreamboys is all Thai so shouldn’t be affected to much. Everywhere else will be short staffed. If it’s worth visiting tonight, that’s up to you and what your looking for.

Maybe a good night to try out Moonlight, Screwboys and Jupiter.

Jupiter and Moonlight were also affected.

As soon as I entered Jupiter last night, mamasan told me that “Today not many boys. No Cambodian and Vietnamese boys working”

Also at Moonlight, apparently non-Thai boys did not work last night.

I met a Cambodian boy who used to work at Jupiter by chance at Thaniya.

When I asked where you work he said Boys66 now Moonlight.

He said he couldn’t work there tonight. So I said because of The police? He told me to keep quiet and looked around! lol

At the Thaniya street food shop, the boss waiter said there should not be any Alcohol serving,( if you don’t have a license?)at the table at all Silom area because of the police presence too.

A couple of developments tonight in Twilight. Tomorrow night there is to be a heavy police presence. Only Thai boys will be allowed to work. Cambodian, Lao, Vietnam and Myanmar boys were told to not even be in Twilight tomorrow. Possibly 2 nights, but to be determined tomorrow.

The reason of rumours of a heavy police presence was because yesterday was the first day of the new police chief of Bangrak police station which covers Thaniya, Patpong and Soi Twilight.

The new chief is 39 years old and girl bar owners are concerned police might get stricter on sex industries.

Last night at Thaniya, there were apparently no bar girls seen on the street usually they are sitting in front of their bars with mamasans inviting curious tourists.

Jupiter and Moonlight were also affected.

As soon as I entered Jupiter last night, mamasan told me that “Today not many boys. No Cambodian and Vietnamese boys working”.

Are they charging an entrance fee, so you pay before you enter? I have only been to the old Jupiter once and think I remember that was the procedure?

I met a Cambodian boy who used to work at Jupiter by chance at Thaniya.

When I asked where you work he said Boys66 now Moonlight.

He said he couldn’t work there tonight. So I said because of The police? He told me to keep quiet and looked around! lol

actually pretty smart idea on part of affected boys to linger close to their bars hoping that regular clients will  their  recognize and hire them.

Are they charging an entrance fee, so you pay before you enter? I have only been to the old Jupiter once and think I remember that was the procedure?

yes , at new Jupiter you pay at the door , sometimes at Tawan they have the same system on weekends

Last night Twilight was quiet. X-Boys and FreshBoys had no one hanging around outside. Each had one doorman. I also noticed they tended to keep curtains closed a bit more than usual. More like when a show was going on.

Bangkok Massage had 4 boys working. Usually 10-15. Bonney closed at 10pm. They had no boys working.

Maxis and Dreamboys were the only places that seemed to be doing ok.

There was also a police presence at the entrance to Soy Thanyia. They were checking taxis again. When I left my driver asked me to put seatbelt on till we got onto Rama4.

In Jupiter they let us have a look inside first without paying. The place was empty and a heavy female tourist was on stage singing karaoke. I smiled at the doorman and declined. He laughed knowingly and just let us leave.

It seems that it's not just the red light districts that Thailand's leaders have in their cross hairs. And as we look back over the past year, the clues were all too evident.  It started with crack downs on street vendors and steadily worked its way toward the nightlife venues. Now the bureaucracy admits that its goal is to make Bangkok resemble Singapore.

A post over on the GB site linked to a Washington Post article that walks the reader through their rationale. They seem bent on destroying what makes Bangkok such an attractive place to travelers from around the globe: a budget-wise destination that promised what they can't find elsewhere.

So what we see unfolding on Soi Twilight may just be the current chapter in this campaign to remake Bangkok with more malls, more condos and--above all--more high net worth tourists than its city state neighbor to the south. According to the article, leaders feel the pressure to impose their their social order stamp before the promised 2019 elections.

Article with video:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/lights-dim-on-bangkoks-nightlife-as-military-tries-to-salvage-legacy/2018/03/23/1e8c6780-2856-11e8-874b-d517e912f125_story.html

A disturbing prospect. The military coup was welcomed by some on the gay forums and excused by others. I pointed-out then that right-wing, military coups are invariably anti-gay. They tend also to be anti-women and anti-working class, preferring to seek support amongst the wealthier classes- the very people who brought down Yingluk's government while staying at 5* hotels.

And by the way, who believes that there will be elections when the Junta knows that, yet again, the "wrong people" will win.?

Now the bureaucracy admits that its goal is to make Bangkok resemble Singapore.

To resemble Singapore, they need an economy that can pay for it.  To get to that level, they probably need some of the building blocks in place for a successful economy:

1  Low corruption, so that the most competitive businesses thrive.   Not much sign of progress there !

2  A very good education system.

3  Competent leadership that makes good decisions for the long term health of the nation.   

What we're actually getting is inanities like closing the beach on Wednesdays & removing dartboards from bars.   What hope is there for getting the difficult decisions right ? 

than perhaps in time Pavillion Place will become gay hotel ?

ah yes, just what the love that dares not speak its name needs - another place to stay that dares not use use the term "hotel"

still, given that we all "bat for the other team" I am sure the Pavilion would be an appropriate place to gather behind for the occasional "smoke"?

and refresh my memory is Fresh Boys the one that is rumoured to be run by the army or the police? not that I ever listen to such rumours of course, but with a new police chief in the district and an election pending ... just don't mention the French Revolution or darts or we might all get banned!

bkkguy

and refresh my memory is Fresh Boys the one that is rumoured to be run by the army or the police? 

when I'm in Thailand for my 1-3 weeks vacations last thing on my mind is to worry who is owning or running any bar or massage.

Only thing I care in personnel on display

To resemble Singapore, they need an economy that can pay for it.

It will never happen in our lifetimes. One reason why Singapore has so little corruption is that official salaries are set at an incredibly high level. There is therefore no need to become involved in corruption. The Prime Minster earns about 1.7 million US$ - more than four times the salary of the US President. A Cabinet Minister earns $830,000 and a lowly MP a minimum of $150,000. Even in the Police, the average salary is $47,500. Then compare that with Thailand. Waste of time. Thailand can never reach that level of salary unless oil or gold is found in considerable quantities.

The wealth of any country can be found in its people, not buried in the ground.

If the Thais were more ambitious, refused to acceot corruption and did not just live for today, there could be an improvement.

My judgement of the Thais is made from my own perspective and from interacting with a narrow slice of Thai society, so I could be totally wrong.

But that's the general impression I get of Thais and Cambodians.

Guest abang1961

Sorry if this offends.

Thailand will need to take at least 2 to 3 generations if they want to emulate the standard of Singapore.

Well Singapore was a miracle that worked in the 1950s... Then the folks were less educated and poor. The government quickly build flats with essential amenities to house the burgeoning population.

Education was made compulsory and by the mid-70s, almost all schools were English medium. Myself a product of the local school system can easily converse proficiently in English, Mandarin and Malay.

Then came infrastructure..When the multiple economic crisis came, the government injected money to build an efficient transport system. They kept fares affirdabke, ie. From airport to downtown for SGD 2..