abidismaili

Which language do Chinese use to talk to the Thai?

Of course we farang talk in English to the Thai boys. Doesn’t matter if you come from America, the UK, France, Germany or the Netherlands, etc. We all use English. We know that language more or less because we all learned it in school. The Thai boys I guess learn it on the job 

But I have been to China and almost no one (outside guides and people working in hotels) speak very good English.

So I was wondering how the Chinese customers talk to their Thai offs ?

Same question for Japanese customers. And Russians. Russians also aren’t that good in English. How do they chat with the boys?

They communicate with extreme difficulty as far as I can see. We were staying in a large  Chiang Mai hotel popular with Chinese tourists recently when we witnessed an extraordinary (and fortissimo) dispute between Chinese guests and Reception. It was in a variant of English but while the receptionists were quite proficient, the guests vocabulary was small....but expressed loudly. This was the way  the colonial British and later generations of British tourists communicated in Europe;  the approach was to  speak English loudly. repetitively and slowly and eventually you get what what you want. 

I expect that mbs use apps, by the way.

Most Chinese, especially the old, can not speak English at all.

Consequently when they travel abroad, the only choice for them is group tour operated by travel agencies. A Tour guide who acts like a babysitter will help them manage all the issues (flights, tickets, hotel, meals and more) so they can travel without English and even do not have to communicate to local people. They just need to follow their tour guide to complete all the journey.

Furthermore, the main reasons for Chinese to travel abroad are tourist attractions, shopping and family time, instead of night life. They come to Bangkok for the Grand Palace rather than Silom road.

However, as the LGBT culture gets greater influence in China nowadays, the younger generation (below 35 years old) begin to travel on their own, explore gay bars and even off boys. About 20% young Chinese can speak English so they communicate with Thai boys in English without obstacles, but the rest 80% could only try their best to use body language LOL.

Good news is more and more gay bars, Moonlight for instance, now start to offer Chinese service.

By the way, I come from China so there may be some problems in my English. Thanks for your understanding.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

you got that right. I once asked Mekhin , well known Tawan and now Jupiter boy,  speaking pretty good English :" where did you learn English" and answer with laugh was ' at Tawan , Tawan university"

When he started working, he hardly understood what the customers are saying to him so he only replied “ok, ok”.  Once at the hotel, he realised the misunderstandings since then he took a particular attention to “ who f**k who”

I was in FreshBoys a few nights ago and a stern looking Chinese gentleman had a translator (or friend who spoke some English), a street grabber and a mamasan all working together to relieve him of his Baht.. it was good entertainment for me sitting right behind them, and he left with i think two boys, maybe one for his friend.

There is something universal about getting louder and louder the more one can’t be understood.  Google translate seems to have lowered some of the volume but I have memories of traveling with other Americans in the south of France and cringing as voices increased in frustrated volume 

1  Some Chinese tourists speak pretty good English.  Particularly those who have studied abroad.

2  Those who don't speak much English have to find a way to get by.

I once hired a freelancer in Japan with just 2 sentences in Japanese, plus an understanding of the price quoted.     Of course this omitted details of what services were on offer, but it all worked out fine and in the absence of a viable alternative, proceeding was an easy decision.

So quite a lot can be done with very little vocabulary.

6 hours ago, z909 said:

So quite a lot can be done with very little vocabulary.

Reminds me one of my  offs  from Tawan, guy planted himself beside me , smiled , took my hand and placed on his already rigid member and said ' one thousand five hundred short time four hundred for the bar", not even liturgical questions ' how long you are in Bangkok etc. " were asked. Next word uttered by me were 'see you tomorrow' to a guy manning the entry when we were leaving.

On our way to Nantra it turned that my guy speaks actually quite decent English and yes in the room we did quite a lot.

22 hours ago, vinapu said:

Reminds me one of my  offs  from Tawan, guy planted himself beside me , smiled , took my hand and placed on his already rigid member and said ' one thousand five hundred short time four hundred for the bar", not even liturgical questions ' how long you are in Bangkok etc. " were asked. Next word uttered by me were 'see you tomorrow' to a guy manning the entry when we were leaving.

On our way to Nantra it turned that my guy speaks actually quite decent English and yes in the room we did quite a lot.

You are famous in Tawan! 1500 baht for short time is cheaper than standard rate.

7 hours ago, jason1975 said:

You are famous in Tawan! 1500 baht for short time is cheaper than standard rate.

not famous but I'd say  known to quite a few guys there who skillfully emptied my pockets over years and I'm eternally grateful for that 

6 hours ago, spoon said:

His examples might be 10 years old lol

no , but it was a while ago when 1500 was standard for guys who did not looked like Mekhin ,  then star # 1 in Tawan 

Sawasdee phimai, or selamat tahun baru for the Or. poster. Happy Nw Yr for all the rest.

First: not all Chinese, luckily, come from mainland China. Many more come as tourists from Malaysia, Taiwan or SIN-they will speekee the ingriss, in a slightly different way as most Thai (guys), lah!

Mainland Chinese visiting gay bars are as such still a fairly rare fenomenon, and as they seem to do with HTLs and places-to-eat, they all seem to stick to the same places. Modern China all works on apps-on their very own non-google versions, weibo and alipay to pay and the like. So thats what they know.

In the area where I mostly stay a surprising nr of Thai in the ´hospitality´ industry deal with non-Thai speaking tourists since many yrs and are also well versed with many who do not even or hardly speekee the ankrit-think of many italians, Russki or Spanish. Also quite a large nr of those Thai are of former Chinese descent and can at least master one Chinese dialect-mostly Cantonnese or Fuzhou or Fuxian. That helps with HKGers and those from there. State-ruled mandarin is quite rare though, but not impossible to find. n the past i was often surprised at how well and how many of the guys could speak Japanese, but as the tourists from there this seems waning.