10tazione

Travel observations (not a full report)

I’m in Pattaya. Only the occasional person is wearing a mask- maybe one in fifty passers by. The main impact is the virtual lack of Chinese visitors who normally you see parading along Walking Street and occasionally through Boyztown behind their flag waving guides. Out at sea there are hardly any parachutes being towed by speedboats, as Chinese are the main participants. 

6 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Got a foot massage, somewhat painful. If I get asked soft or strong, I always say "medium" - how am I supposed to know how strong is strong? Dont want a lame massage but neither want to be killed! Is there a different concept of pain in western and asian medicine? I think the western standpoint is that pain during a massage is never good? And the Thais say just "stiff stiff, massage stronger"?

It's hard for the masseur or the customer to calibrate, so real-time feedback can help.  You can start with medium and if you sense it's not what you want, I just tell the guy.  I've noticed that if I haven't had a foot massage (for example) for a while, I only like medium-soft on my feet proper but as strong as he can get on my quads, so I just tell him that.  Forearms I have the same issue - very sensitive for the first few massages then that issue goes away.   [I give a short list before a massage of things like this shoulder is bad be careful, very tight here at the neck and right quad and IT band - needs extra attention, etc.]

Certainly in western sports/deep tissue massage a certain amount of "pain" is absolutely part of the program to break up knots and adhesions.  But there's pain/discomfort and real pain-pain.  I tend to have knots in my upper back and shoulders that take a lot of time for the masseur to ease up and release, and there's definitely "pain" involved, whether the massage is here or at Bliss in NYC (just to pick a western spa).   One potentially helpful guideline I've heard is you never want to be tensing up when the masseur is trying to release those knots, so guide the masseur to keep the pressure at a level below where you might be tensing up, wherever that may be.  

Real men like to be pampered too, so nothing wrong with just getting a soft massage and not worrying about it.  :) 

There is good pain and bad pain. Good pain, to me is always feels painful but at the same time pleasurable, as it is very deep pain and not like pinching your skin pain. And almost always, you will feel immediate release and instant painless feeling after the masseur let go of the pressure. If the pain is like pinching your skin, or the pain doesnt goes away after he release the pressure, i called it injury lol

I flew back to Thailand via Tapei after a holiday in the US on 20th (19th) February on the EVA flight departing SFO at 12.05am

I guess the flight was not more more than one third full which meant I had 3 seats to myself

The connecting flight to BKK was almost full with most Asians wearing masks and about half farangs wearing masks.

13 hours ago, 10tazione said:

No idea why the name is the Green Massage when they all wear orange shirts?

haha so true!

13 hours ago, 10tazione said:

After the massage I made another booking for the next day with the same masseur. I booked 60 minutes of head/neck/shoulder,
and because I feel obliged to investigate for this forum, haha, I also booked 90 minutes of oil massage. Considering the nice smiles of my masseur,

looking forward to the review of that massage :) 

3 hours ago, jason1975 said:

Glad you enjoyed listening to Poppy and PJ. I love those guys! I have lost count of the number of tips, garlands and gifts I give them every time I go to Jupiter to listen to them.

Yes I did and it is something different for a change ... If only it would start a little bit earlier instead midnight ...