reader

Spas, massage parlours make the next cut

From Bangkok Post

Shopping malls, gyms and amusement parks, considered high-density venues, are expected to reopen next if the number of new Covid-19 infections continues to drop for another week.

The Public Health Emergency Operation Centre held a meeting with representatives of eight business clusters in the kingdom to discuss preparations for the next stage of easing the coronavirus lockdown.

The meeting was also attended by relevant agencies such as the Interior Ministry, the Tourism and Sports Ministry, the Public Health Ministry, City Hall and local governing bodies.

It resulted in a nod for the reopening of shopping malls, restaurants and food shops in shopping malls, health and wellness businesses including spas and massage parlours, beauty salons, fitness centres and gymnasiums, meeting and seminar convention venues, film production locations, amusement parks and water parks.

However, the number of new cases in the kingdom must stay low for another week before the businesses can reopen.

Whats left that is still not allowed to open after this round of easing? Concerts, sports events and traveling i supposed. Im surprised that seminar, conventions, amusement and water park is included as well as these has been one of the crowded places with high chances of spreading the virus with high turnover of people coming from various location nationwide (and worldwide once they ease travelling). Glad to see thailand is opening up faster than i imagine. 

Perhaps worth keeping in mind that businesses have been allowed to re-open -- but only under the "new normal" rules.   Screening, social distancing, masks (duh), limitations on number of customers allowed in at any time, plexiglass dividers between tables, etc.   (I assume everyone has seen the pictures).  Barbers have to wear masks and shields.  Some mainstream massage shops are already planning for that to be required.  

In China, Shanghai Disneyland is reopening and tickets sold out almost immediately.  But there will be all the usual health precautions and more, and right now limited to only 30% of capacity.  

Personally I think this is being handled quite well by the Thai authorities.  There will always be slip-ups and it will take some time for the real "now normal" to evolve, but they're good, small steps forward.

Here's what we might expect from one of the better-known legit(-ish) massage places.  

timeline_20200509_155725.thumb.jpg.e4314119be1ac919f01648cf24555738.jpg

I can understand that, but if you'll forgive some self-pitying, I and others are now at the stage in our lives where   we haven't much more time to be with our loved-ones.   I am  very fit but even for me, the journey to Thailand becomes more difficult by the year and there will come a time, I fear, when it will be too much. My June trip is canceled and my October one threatened; those are experiences irretrievably lost.

That's why I may be tempted into a trip later this year which, were I twenty or even ten years younger, I'd put-off until it was 100% safe in terms of the coronavirus....if that were possible.

17 hours ago, spoon said:

Im surprised that [.... ] Glad to see thailand is opening up faster than i imagine. 

Well don't be too surprised and don't ask too much what makes sense or not. They only recently closed the beaches in Pattaya and I just read in the Bangkok Post today they arrested 3 Russians for swimming in the ocean behind a hotel there. Now what is the risk of infection on a BEACH? Close to zero I'd venture to say, but they just want to prevent ANY kind of gathering and sometimes overshoot I guess.  The same goes for shopping malls, the are IDEAL for social distancing, yet haven't been opnned in the first step. It is what it is, and I agree with you and @DivineMadman that on the whole things are progressing quite OK.

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

I'd  rather stay home and wait until it's over

Understandable, but on the other hand they need your/our/everyone's business now more than ever, the sooner the better. I certainly plan to have massages much more frequently than I used to.

Malaysia has opened up almost all businesses except entertainment, education and several other high risks businesses and activities on 4th May. Today, our gov just announced current practise will continue till 9th June, and interstate travelling is still not allowed, except for this 4 days weekend, where one way interstate travel by batches were allowed for those stucked at other places other than their own home. In the mean time, we also have areas where a strict lockdown (no one in and out) in several high risk area where there has been recent cluster of new cases happening, as well as mass testing our foreign workers.

Crucial time now to see if what our gov is doing is good enough as finding balance between economy and health is what they are trying to achieve. Travel restriction (14 days quarantine at center or hotels only for returning citizen) is still in place and no talks at all about when itll be lifted so far. I guess only when there is enough countries in the world managed to control the spread, only then travel restriction will be discussed. And for South east region, indonesia and philliphines will be the benchmark especially a lot of their citizens are working in various other countries in the region.

Lets hope the massage shops can reopen soon. It is doubtful the general economy and Thais will be able to accept a shutdown situation much longer. I think everyone will end up just having to decide for themselves where they go and don't go and the risks involved. Some people will just return to status quo pre Covid but some likely will never go to certain places deemed to be high risk or at least for quite a while. I know many Thais out of work now and just want to get back to their jobs or find a new one if they can. I noted most of the new cases of Covid now are located in the southern provinces. So far no new outbreaks beyond that region.Hopefully the numbers will stay low so things can get back to some kind of normal soon.

From Bangkok Post

Majority agree with easing Covid-19 restrictions: Poll

A huge majority of people agree that the restrictions imposed to limit the spread of coronavirus should be relaxed now that the situation has much improved, according to the result of an opinion survey by the National Institute of Development Administration, or Nida Poll.

The poll was carried out on May 4-7 on 1,259 people aged 18 and above throughout the country to gauge their opinions about the measures which have been imposed by the government, including the lockdown of the country.

Asked whether they thought that restrictions should now be relaxed, a huge majority - 83.95% - said "yes".  Of them, 34.39% said they strongly agreed with the idea as the number of infections had dropped, people had cooperated with the health guidelines issued by the government and some businesses had been allowed to re-open. A further 49.56% were in more moderate agreement, saying the relaxation would enable people to return to a normal life and resume their work.

===============================================================================================================

From Khaosod English

Fishing Boats Seek 50,000 Workers as Virus Spurs Migrants to Leave

BANGKOK (Xinhua) — Despite adverse effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, Thailand’s fishing industry is currently looking to hire as many as 50,000 men to go out to sea aboard trawlers, said a senior government official on Saturday.

Phithoon Damsakhon, chief of the Department of Employment’s provincial branch of Ranong in southern Thailand, quoted the National Fisheries Association of Thailand as reporting some 50,000 men are currently being sought for hire as skippers, mechanics and other crewmembers aboard fishing boats based in several coastal provinces of the country.

Tens of thousands of Myanmar migrant workers, earlier employed by the fishing industry either on shore or offshore, have already left for their home country and many others are believed to follow suit, thus aggravating labor shortages in Thailand’s fishing sector, Phithoon said.

Many of those migrant workers had been gradually upgraded from being unskilled employees to skilled ones until they have called it quits over the last several years, he said.

He suggested the Thais, who might be currently jobless due to the pandemic situation, to go for such fishing occupations available aboard seagoing trawlers, many of which are being anchored off idly in Ranong and other coastal provinces.

4 hours ago, anddy said:

Understandable, but on the other hand they need your/our/everyone's business now more than ever, the sooner the better. I certainly plan to have massages much more frequently than I used to.

don't read me wrong, I'm itching to go and help to lift Thailand's economy as soon as I can but reality is it doesn't make any sense to go if entry restrictions are not  lifted. I even have a ticket already, useless as it is for now but Lufthansa says it will be usable all the way to  Jun 2021. Of course if both me and airline will be still alive.

Who wants to fly that far only to be forced to undergo quarantine of 2 weeks on arrival in Thailand and then again upon return  do the same in the home country ? ( I'm not even entertaining an option on being subject of the same  in point of transit , I can't fly directly from my home ) . That is thing which is  holding me and countless others back

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

don't read me wrong, I'm itching to go and help to lift Thailand's economy as soon as I can but reality is it doesn't make any sense to go if entry restrictions are not  lifted. I even have a ticket already, useless as it is for now but Lufthansa says it will be usable all the way to  Jun 2021. Of course if both me and airline will be still alive.

Who wants to fly that far only to be forced to undergo quarantine of 2 weeks on arrival in Thailand and then again upon return  do the same in the home country ? ( I'm not even entertaining an option on being subject of the same  in point of transit , I can't fly directly from my home ) . That is thing which is  holding me and countless others back

you are certainly right, you can't possibly go now and presumably for a while with such restrictions and quarantines probably being with us for a while as @spoon points out. Knowing you I am well aware that you'd rather be here and help with your expenditures, but your post could have been interpreted a bit differently, so I thought I make the point ;) 

2 hours ago, anddy said:

..., but your post could have been interpreted a bit differently, so I thought I make the point ;) 

I realized it and it's why I hasted to explain my take of situation better.

My first trip to Thailand was  shortly after New York's 9/11 ( there's another one , Santiago de Chile's  9/11, 1973 ) taken against  all advises and it worked very well so as soon as restriction are lifted I will be mounting Thai gay scene rescue  mission, rest assured.

19 hours ago, anddy said:

The same goes for shopping malls, the are IDEAL for social distancing, yet haven't been opnned in the first step.

HUM but here in the USA the Big Box Stores like Walmart have been open, never closed. And people stand in line to get in, but once inside they socialize in groups. I was there this weekend and saw as many as 6 people all close together chatting in an aisle. And I did not feel it was an Extended Family shopping. So I do not have much faith that Malls in Thailand will be any better.

Whole Foods has been much better and I feel safer shopping there!!

31 minutes ago, GWMinUS said:

HUM but here in the USA the Big Box Stores like Walmart have been open, never closed. And people stand in line to get in, but once inside they socialize in groups. I was there this weekend and saw as many as 6 people all close together chatting in an aisle. And I did not feel it was an Extended Family shopping. So I do not have much faith that Malls in Thailand will be any better.

My daughter lives in California and she tells me that Whole Foods is their only local store where wearing a mask is compulsory

2 hours ago, GWMinUS said:

they will be better. Thai people don't just chat up random strangers in a mall or store like walmart or a supermaket. Not in normal times and not now. Speaking of supermarkets: it eludes me what the difference is between a supermarket and other shops in a mall. I know supermarket is essential for food, but are also obliged to (and comply with) social distancing measures, many/most have a temperature check at the entrance (incl 7/11) and compulsory masks needless to say. The same can be done throughout a mall. Easy. 

4 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Will people have time to go on holiday to Thailand after the reopening? I guess many will have used up all days of their annual leave staying at home in lockdown?

some probably not but those working  from home are not affected , not to mention retirees and last but not least legions of those like me who are slaving  just like always, virus or not

In my country, non compliance to SOP for social distancing and cleaning by businesses which are expected to enforce it to their customer will risk closure of the business, even if they are essential businesses and this has happened multiple times since our first lockdown in mid march. Im pretty sure thailand can also practise the same. A surge in number of new cases in an area, will result in a strict wuhan style lockdown (metal wires all around, all businesses is prohibited, no in and out the area, and food will be provided by the gov) for at least 14 days, more if new cases still popping up and all citizen locked down inside will be tested. We have  had 8 areas so far that had been placed in such lockdown, with the latest is added just few days ago, related to a wet market and the surrounding. 

12 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Will people have time to go on holiday to Thailand after the reopening? I guess many will have used up all days of their annual leave staying at home in lockdown?

In my country, people are on temporary unemployment during lockdown and the government pays 70% of the salary. When they return to their job, they still will have all days of their annual leave. Even if they return only in September, which will be the case for some people. 

Over here, at least in my company, most of us are working from home. If we were to take unoaud leave for personal reason, our annual leaves remaning for the year will be prorated based on the amount of days we have worked. For example, if you have total 12 days annual leave, and have worked 4 month, and started your unpaid leave from month 5 onward, you only have 4 days of annual leave to use. 

22 hours ago, 10tazione said:

The second question is if people will have money to go on holiday to Thailand after the reopening?

Many businesses lost and lots of people fired from their jobs it's an uncertain period from economic point of view traveling abroad will be on a very low priority all over the world on the next months.

6 hours ago, Boy69 said:

The second question is if people will have money to go on holiday to Thailand after the reopening?

Many businesses lost and lots of people fired from their jobs it's an uncertain period from economic point of view traveling abroad will be on a very low priority all over the world on the next months.

This will be more a case of people from neighboring countries  and you may have a point here.

Westerners who could afford to travel that far likely will do that again and so will backpackers who are used to low budget travelling. Big question mark is price of flights which may skyrocket in the initial period.

It is also question of prioritizing . My own mother once said  " I can imagine many things but not taking annual vacation I can't " and there are  a lot of people like that.

Bottom line is  a lot of people will be short of money but most of them are not people who travel for pleasure anyways 

From Bangkok Post

Businesses gear for June boost

More activities and medium-sized businesses which have been temporarily halted or closed since late March will be allowed to resume next month, as the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) mulls a further easing of government-imposed restrictions ordered to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus disease.

CCSA spokesman Taweesilp Visanuyothin on Monday said the centre -- which is headed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha -- will consider on Friday three broad categories of activities and businesses which will be allowed to resume under what he called the "Phase-2 lockdown".

On the list are advertisement production, sports competitions without spectators, restaurants, food shops in office buildings, public libraries and department stores. Entertainment venues inside malls, such as movie theatres, are excluded.

That said, a government source close to the CCSA said that shopping malls may not be included in the Phase-2 lockdown, which is set to take effect on May 17.

Authorities have set a rough timeline for the gradual lifting of lockdowns, with the third phase likely to be announced in early June. The final phase, which is expected to be announced in mid-June, will see "all businesses and activities" reopening, the source said.

Markets, food shops, street stalls and hair salons (including pet groomers) are among the businesses that were allowed to reopen on May 3. Outdoor exercises and non-contact sports were also allowed.

The latest rounds of inspections conducted on May 10 found that 5,644 or or 30.4% out of the 18,512 venues which reopened on May 3 failed to comply with mandatory health guidelines, with 449 or 2.37% found to be ignoring hygiene practices.

The numbers were slightly lower than violations found between May 3-9, during which 109,425 venues were checked, according to the CCSA.

========================================================================================================

International travel seen resuming in October

From The Thaiger

It’s not looking to good for Thailand’s tourism industry. This year will have the lowest numbers the country has seen in over a decade, and that’s assuming there’s some reopenings for international travel sometime later in the year.

With the coronavirus pandemic freezing up international travel, the number of foreign tourists are expected to fall by 65% this year, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, TAT.

The TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn told Reuters that the best case scenario is that domestic tourism will start to improve in June or July, while foreign visitors should come in around October.

That might be wishful thinking considering Thai schools are starting back up in July, some already starting with online classes, and no holiday break planned for the school year’s 8-month new “mega term”. Economists estimate families probably won’t be doing much traveling and will have little disposable income available anyway.

Future travel restrictions will have an impact on any projected numbers, but it’s unclear what those would be. For now, incoming commercial flights are still banned until at least the end of the month to help contain the Covid-19 virus.

Bottomline, predictions are very difficult at the moment as there are so many variable factors – the major one will be tourists’ willingness, or ability, to afford any travel following the huge impact of the pandemic. Also, some countries are still in the midst of their first wave of outbreaks.