TotallyOz

Facebook Dating

38 minutes ago, pong2 said:

You probably know christians blog= christianpfc.blogspot.com and he had a recent post about fb including this way of making contacts. Big threshold for most will be that most is in Thai, read and write

I have not seen his blog but will take a look. Thanks.

I have talked to many that are Thai and Google Translate is excellent. And, if worth seeing, isn't it worth teaching them English? :)  That way, when they move on from you, they can communicate with the next guy better? :)  jk (not thinking about Jupiter Boy here, just making an observation)

I dislike the Facebook model of having one app and one profile that fulfills many functions, with their intention that everyone who knows or finds you can see all your posts. 

I'd much rather the set up where I can go to dating apps for dating, independent forums for discussion and so on.   That has the benefit of privacy and there is also some diversity of policies between different websites, rather than having to fall in line with whatever Suckerburg dictates.

I avoided Facebook for years, but eventually set up an account when I found so many businesses had their only websites on Facebook & it was helpful to have an account.  I even used the "Alternative State Quarantine" page when planning my holiday last year.      However, I use one of my secondary e-mails, keep all the search and tracing options off and make it as difficult as possible for anyone to find me.   

Just like covid, it seems we will be living with Facebook for years.

Having said all that, if someone can identify advantages with the dating and explain how privacy is maintained, I'll be interested.   Yes, I note Michael has been successful, so perhaps I need to keep an open mind !

U can always create a second fb account and fb have made it easy to swap between accounts. 

1 hour ago, z909 said:

I dislike the Facebook model of having one app and one profile that fulfills many functions, with their intention that everyone who knows or finds you can see all your posts. 

I'd much rather the set up where I can go to dating apps for dating, independent forums for discussion and so on.   That has the benefit of privacy and there is also some diversity of policies between different websites, rather than having to fall in line with whatever Suckerburg dictates. 

6 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

How do they reconcile that with the FB "real names policy" ? or (I'm not a FB user) is that a thing of the past?

U can use a variety of your name or nickname. So far ive had no trouble. 

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

I wonder what the best apps are nowadays apart from Facebook.

I have the best luck on Hornet and Grindr. Hornet I have met the best guys on. Grindr I have met guys who say, I want money a lot. I also like Gay Romeo but most of those are working boys and that is good as well. I find when I log in for any, I also get messages.

I wonder how many forum members use the apps for commercial hook ups and how many just to meet interested guys who want to have some easy fun without payment (apart perhaps from transport money). The impression I have is that Pattaya is almost exclusively gay for pay on the apps whereas in Bangkok there seem to be quite a few guys, especially students, who do not see it as a financial transaction.

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

impression I have is that Pattaya is almost exclusively gay for pay on the apps

Yes it is definitely so. Even if a Thai boy isn't a money boy and looking for Thai partners once falang is online chat they will demand money for meeting.

4 hours ago, PeterRS said:

The impression I have is that Pattaya is almost exclusively gay for pay on the apps whereas in Bangkok there seem to be quite a few guys, especially students, who do not see it as a financial transaction.

Agreed.   Pattaya seems unique. 

This must be rather irritating for the young lads NOT working as money boys in Pattaya. 

A minority do clearly specify that they are not money boys on their profiles and some of those even mean it. 

6 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Yes it is definitely so. Even if a Thai boy isn't a money boy and looking for Thai partners once falang is online chat they will demand money for meeting.

Luckily Volleyball Boy did not ask for money. He is a good guy and only wants love.

Then, today he told me about his computer being broken and he can't go to school or do work without it. So sad. I don't know why he told me that?

17 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

Luckily Volleyball Boy did not ask for money. He is a good guy and only wants love.

Then, today he told me about his computer being broken and he can't go to school or do work without it. So sad. I don't know why he told me that?

Hint hint, he wants you to repair his computer for him, or give him your old computer, or buy him a new one? Naive me would say he is simply sharing his day.

1 minute ago, spoon said:

Hint hint, he wants you to repair his computer for him, or give him your old computer, or buy him a new one? Naive me would say he is simply sharing his day.

My goodness man. You are a skeptic! Come on, he is in love. He is just sharing his life. Right?

Reminds me of a Filipino I met & shared my Skype ID with. 

The conversations would typically be something like "Hello" & nothing else other than various direct or implied requests for money.   e.g. Sending me photos of Nike trainers, telling me it's his birthday next day etc.   Or more directly, telling me he has a cold and needs $75 to go and see a doctor.  I doubt Filipino doctors charge $75 for 15 minutes of their time and no one needs to see a doctor for a cold. 

As the conversations were purely commercial & I wasn't planning to go back to the Philippines for several years, I just started ignoring the correspondence.

If living in the same city, it might be worth going along with it for a while.

4 minutes ago, vinapu said:

don't waste time and buy him this computer today as you know you will anyways sooner or later so get over it ASAP and he will love you forever or at least till next Monday

Day 5 of this relationship.    Some boyfriend candidates seem to expect more money than the hookers ? 

54 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

My goodness man. You are a skeptic! Come on, he is in love. He is just sharing his life. Right?

Optimistic me will offer him to buy a new computer and him refusing profusely and saying all he need is to come to your place more often so he can use your computer for study

2 hours ago, fedssocr said:

is that the BFE - boyfriend experience? It's like the guys on Sugarbaby sites who have all sorts of things they need money for. It's all a big game.

You are diplomatic.    Surely that kind of Sugarbaby thing would be just a simple difference between short term prostitution and long term prostitution ?      

If he's not meeting for love or friendship and expects fiscal compensation for sex, it's the same thing.       Like the difference between a hotel room for 1 night and a long term lease on an apartment.   Except with hotels and apartments, we know what the price is in advance.

Although slightly different is the kind of over optimistic Sugarbaby who contacted me on a phone app in the UK.  His offer was that I could take him out to dinner AND pay him for the privilege, whilst making it clear things would never progress any further.  I made it very clear I've got friends who are perfectly good company to eat with, almost certainly better company and I don't pay people to have dinner with me.

[ I'm referring to these Sugarbaby types here, not Michael's lad, whom I should not judge fully on limited information]

2 hours ago, reader said:

Now I guess you need a calculator, lie detector and two-factor identification before you invite a guy to your room. :(

but this is only because we have more time on our hands because of pandemics and restrictions