Olddaddy

Gay farangs living on the breadline

17 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

I guess my food bill would be more than 150b a day ! šŸ˜„

I did eat at SINT cafe a few mornings , and Dolce Vita but yes eating farang food would go over your budget if you have to scrimp by.

I would have to have Air Con though , wouldn't be able to live in a fan room.

Ā 

I run my aircon 24/7. My bill is under 2k a month. Dolce Vita serve slop. There are many quality restaurants for the same price nearby.Ā 

Trying to understand now why I decided against relocation in 2004, despite the financial, sexual and romantic advantages, I come down to this oneĀ  decisive issue; I knew Pattaya only as a holiday destination, three or four times a year. What was so attractive to me, apart from the obvious, was the fact that it was different, very different, to my life in London. I decided that, were I an expat there, the changes in scenery, routine and sources of enjoyment, would no longer be as attractive as they were,Ā  and indeed remain forĀ  me as a tourist.

There are, of course, some disadvantages for someone enjoying his one and only gay LTR....but that's another story. As long as I am fit enough to travel comfortably, I remain confident I have made the right choice.

38 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Trying to understand now why I decided against relocation in 2004, despite the financial, sexual and romantic advantages, I come down to this oneĀ  decisive issue; I knew Pattaya only as a holiday destination, three or four times a year. What was so attractive to me, apart from the obvious, was the fact that it was different, very different, to my life in London. I decided that, were I an expat there, the changes in scenery, routine and sources of enjoyment, would no longer be as attractive as they were,Ā  and indeed remain forĀ  me as a tourist.

There are, of course, some disadvantages for someone enjoying his one and only gay LTR....but that's another story. As long as I am fit enough to travel comfortably, I remain confident I have made the right choice.

If you had or did move there , what would you routine be like, would it be different to what you do in LondonĀ 

Would you become bored with that lifestyle night after night bar hoppingĀ 

14 hours ago, fedssocr said:

Loneliness is a problem all over the world these days for people of all ages. But certainly culture and language issues exacerbate the isolation.

I wonder how much of the lonileness seen among older gay men today is due to the AIDS pandemic taking so many friends and lovers of that generation.

Ā 

2 minutes ago, omega said:

I wonder how much of the lonileness seen among older gay men today is due to the AIDS pandemic taking so many friends and lovers of that generation.

Ā 

I think many people feeling lonely in Thailand would feel all the same if they stay at home. One either knows how to make friends or don't.Ā 

Problem is if somebodyĀ  moved with loved oneĀ  and subsequently he/she passed away or relationship broke. ThenĀ  often somebody may feel stuck abroad with not much to keep him there but nothing to return to either.

• Members
6 minutes ago, omega said:

Ā 

AIDS pandemic....that was long time ago.Ā  People take PREPS now, and HIV+ people take cocktails drugs.Ā  AIDS is not fatal anymore.Ā 

19 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I think many people feeling lonely in Thailand would feel all the same if they stay at home. One either knows how to make friends or don't.Ā 

Problem is if somebodyĀ  moved with loved oneĀ  and subsequently he/she passed away or relationship broke. ThenĀ  often somebody may feel stuck abroad with not much to keep him there but nothing to return to either.

Yes, I can see how farangs who move to Thailand to be with a Thai boy, and do not put the effort in to build/maintain a social network of friends may find themselves stuck and alone; with the choice seeming like to be lonely in a paradise, or lonely in greyer, colder climes.

30 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Ok, I was being selfish. I have no use of beaches and Thai weather is warm only in Dec and Jan , rest of year just being too hot. But about eye candy , yes I agree 8 days a week, 25 hours per dayĀ 

I'd suggest its a paradise compared to some drab and boring run of the mill town in the middle of nowhere, with winter bringing short days and cold weather that doesn't agree with old bones :)

Ā 

But one mans paradise is anothers hell, I guess :)

Yes the cost of healthcareĀ 

How does one afford that living on the Australian pension of roughly 40k a month ?

Many I would say just don't have health insurance, and it is expensive and takes a big part of the budget .

Ā 

Ā 

It's not only the Healthcare issue what happened if suddenly there are serious health problems who will take care of us and pay the costs in Thailand?

Back in the days when there was many bars in Sunee every time bar was closed it was because the falang owner died or had health problems and returned to his country to take care of himself.Ā 

21 minutes ago, Mavica said:

Lacking the ability to communicate in the local language, indifference to the culture, financial insecurity and the lack of a ready support network are prescriptions for frustration, stress and depression.

So true. Those who try to remake their new environment as "Pattaya on the Thames" or "Jomtien on Miami Beach" are going to fail. I have friends who have lived in Thailand for 20+ years and still speak almost no paasaa thai. What were they thinking? How many foreigners can come to the West and succeed without learning the local language? Do they have myopia or what?

I think you can get by in Bangkok without speaking Thai. I follow Global Travel Mate on Youtube. He is Dutch and has been in Bangkok for something like a decade. He speaks almost no Thai. But apparently he has a successful real estate business. Not exactly sure how such a business qualifies for a business visa but I guess it does.

Ā