Shax

Bangkok Nov 2023 Observations

4 hours ago, Shax said:

Jupiter : One thing I would note is that, perhaps a little different from what I've read previously, there were not that many female patrons on the weekday when I was there (I'd say less than 10, in a packed bar).

count your blessings and buy lottery ticket although I must say girls usually behave in Jupiter with very little screeching noises so typical to BBB in Pattaya

4 hours ago, Shax said:

Dreamboy : I also went here twice, once on a weekday and once on a weekend. Drinks were a little more expensive at THB 550 on both days. 

Moonlight :  I noticed one particular boy who did give a lot of eye contact and smiles on and off stage, but I didn't off him this round (I went with the captain's recommendation). 

it looks Dreamboys is trying to follow their policy from soi Twilight when they were also most expensive bar (drink 650 if I recall correctly)

obviously you were happy with your boy but I'd generally go with boy who shows interest in me than follow mamasan's recommendations. Always try to go with the smile and avoid those who you notice are trying to avoid an eye contact with you even if you feel hots for the boy. 

Great report and I'm glad it reflects what I recall

2 hours ago, jason1975 said:

Thanks so much for writing trip report. You must have really enjoyed yourself. So many bars in a few days!

Haha yeah, I did enjoy myself and not just from the bar visits (mind you I was bar hopping almost every night lol). I managed to do a lot of the non-bar stuff too (e.g. visiting Khaosan Road, Asiatique, exploring the cafes around Silom and Sukhumvit, shopping etc.).

18 minutes ago, vinapu said:

obviously you were happy with your boy but I'd generally go with boy who shows interest in me than follow mamasan's recommendations. Always try to go with the smile and avoid those who you notice are trying to avoid an eye contact with you even if you feel hots for the boy. 

In hindsight, this would've probably been the better way but I guess seeing the hot guys after all this time kinda throws logic out of the window for a bit lol. But I do remember him, and would hope to off him on my next visit (if he still shows the same interest).

19 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Great report and I'm glad it reflects what I recall

Thanks @vinapu. The one thing I experienced quite differently perhaps from what you reported (and also my previous experience there) was the reaction of the boys in Tawan. For some reason, I felt a little unwelcomed by the guys there (or maybe I was just overthinking it). I would still visit again on my next trip to see how it'll go.

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

it looks Dreamboys is trying to follow their policy from soi Twilight when they were also most expensive bar (drink 650 if I recall correctly)

Yes, thankfully. They have gone back to their Soi Twilight policy of "Only Thai Boys" and of having the most expensive drinks of any bar. First drink at Dream Boy was 550 baht on Soi Twilight in 2019, not 650 baht. In real terms however, their drink price today is actually lower than it was in 2019. Even if we take inflation at just 4% per year since 2019, the price of a drink at Dream Boy toady is 470 baht in 2019 terms. In real terms, prices have gone down, not up. Real inflation - especially urban inflation - has actually been higher than that since the pandemic, though.

Similarly, the average asking price for a short time at Dream Boy was 2,000 baht on Soi Twilight and that is still what many - or most - of them ask for. At 4% inflation, that now comes to about 1,700 baht in 2019 terms. Even the boys who ask for 2,500 baht today are only asking for fractionally more than the average Dream Boy price on Soi Twilight in real terms.

I. therefore, find it hard to agree when some people complain that Bangkok is now overpriced.

8 hours ago, Department_Of_Agriculture said:

Yes, thankfully. They have gone back to their Soi Twilight policy of "Only Thai Boys" and of having the most expensive drinks of any bar. First drink at Dream Boy was 550 baht on Soi Twilight in 2019, not 650 baht. In real terms however, their drink price today is actually lower than it was in 2019. Even if we take inflation at just 4% per year since 2019, the price of a drink at Dream Boy toady is 470 baht in 2019 terms. In real terms, prices have gone down, not up. Real inflation - especially urban inflation - has actually been higher than that since the pandemic, though.

Similarly, the average asking price for a short time at Dream Boy was 2,000 baht on Soi Twilight and that is still what many - or most - of them ask for. At 4% inflation, that now comes to about 1,700 baht in 2019 terms. Even the boys who ask for 2,500 baht today are only asking for fractionally more than the average Dream Boy price on Soi Twilight in real terms.

I. therefore, find it hard to agree when some people complain that Bangkok is now overpriced.

I agree. 

15 hours ago, Shax said:

Thanks @vinapu. The one thing I experienced quite differently perhaps from what you reported (and also my previous experience there) was the reaction of the boys in Tawan. For some reason, I felt a little unwelcomed by the guys there (or maybe I was just overthinking it). 

To tell you the truth I could use a bit of not being welcomed there as attention and outstretched palms with tip requests are bit overwhelming at times so I wouldn't mind to be left alone for an hour or so.

15 hours ago, Department_Of_Agriculture said:

I agree completely and cannot understand why some complain about over pricing. When I first came to Bangkok and started regularly taking boys off in 1981, the expected short-time tips were 500 baht - at least that's what I paid. In those days of the baht being fixed against the US$, that was the equivalent of $20.

I find charts of annual inflation rather difficult to read. but I found one which calculates what 500 baht would be worth now after inflation. The rise in prices over that period was 251.02%. By my calculation (and I am no mathematician!) that means the equivalent now would be around 1,750 baht. That today is close to US$50.

phpOIE8XHPM.jpg.c8fe760e299f3746921b42449a48f2c3.jpg

Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, during the same period the inflation calculator shows a rise of 222% in the US$ buying power.

phpaV36W3PM.jpg.dd8243784b725c5c7fb9a670f79ab52f.jpg 

What the baht figure does not include, I believe, is the general rise in economic activity in the country and the substantial increase in the number of better paid jobs. As has been suggested in other threads, I assume this must have had some effect resulting in the reduced availability of Thai boys for the gogo bars in particular and consequently off prices and tips.

My view therefore is that all factors considered and over the much longer term, the figures illustrate that prices charged by bars for offs and the requested tips by the boys have actually gone down. 

On 11/19/2023 at 12:56 PM, Shax said:

I managed to do a lot of the non-bar stuff too (e.g. visiting Khaosan Road, Asiatique, exploring the cafes around Silom and Sukhumvit, shopping etc.).

Those are often the most interesting part a trip report and I am sure that most readers would be happy to hear about that part of your trip as well. At least I would.

16 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I agree completely and cannot understand why some complain about over pricing. When I first came to Bangkok and started regularly taking boys off in 1981, the expected short-time tips were 500 baht - at least that's what I paid. In those days of the baht being fixed against the US$, that was the equivalent of $20.

I find charts of annual inflation rather difficult to read. but I found one which calculates what 500 baht would be worth now after inflation. The rise in prices over that period was 251.02%. By my calculation (and I am no mathematician!) that means the equivalent now would be around 1,750 baht. That today is close to US$50.

phpOIE8XHPM.jpg.c8fe760e299f3746921b42449a48f2c3.jpg

Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, during the same period the inflation calculator shows a rise of 222% in the US$ buying power.

phpaV36W3PM.jpg.dd8243784b725c5c7fb9a670f79ab52f.jpg 

What the baht figure does not include, I believe, is the general rise in economic activity in the country and the substantial increase in the number of better paid jobs. As has been suggested in other threads, I assume this must have had some effect resulting in the reduced availability of Thai boys for the gogo bars in particular and consequently off prices and tips.

My view therefore is that all factors considered and over the much longer term, the figures illustrate that prices charged by bars for offs and the requested tips by the boys have actually gone down. 

That tip may have increased slightly less than inflation, but I think drink prices and off fees have.

For example, when i went to Tawan bar in 2013, the price of one drink was 300 baht. Now it appears you purchase a ticket at the door costing 500 baht, which entitles you to one drink

In inflationary terms, 300 baht in 2013 is about equivalent to 360-380 baht nowadays, but the cost of one drink to get in the door is 500 baht now.

On 11/21/2023 at 7:03 AM, forrestreid said:

That tip may have increased slightly less than inflation, but I think drink prices and off fees have.

I have data to prove you right, at least with respect to first drink prices. Last year I wrote about this on my blog. There is a graph too. See Bangkok gogo bars: 15 years of price rises