Lucky

Should I Feel Threatened?

• Members

In my private mailbox this morning was a message forwarded from this site wherein another poster said to me:

"You took to me to post bro  Don't reply to my posts again ok  One warning ok  "

But when I went to my mailbox here, the message had changed. Now it said:

"I feel empathy  for you not keeping yourself fit with all the sickness you have 

Hope you get better in your age , but as you said your 76 the bright side is you won't be suffering for much longer"

Now I had suggested that this old fellow might not be right for this board, given his posts. So what should I think now?

Sound like your paranoid or reading one thing then looking at another ,

Someone sending you a message saying they had sympathy for your health problem apparently?

But if your so worried about this posters concern then report it the moderators 

I recall my late mother once saying to me the neighbour had knocked on her door to say she heard she went to hospital and if she needed anything,my mother was livid , how dare she ask about my illness,how dare she show concern,does she think I'm bedridden or something.

I guess in the back of your mind when people are showing concern/sympathy over your illness you suddenly realise your becoming old and think people should just mind their own business!

Well I hope whatever illness you have you recover ok , yes I would report that person who asked you about your sickness to the mods ,how dare they show any concern.

I think I might know who it is , he also sent me a message when I had covid asking if I was ok .

I thought traveller Jim had passed on though 

• Members
1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Says the guy who sent both messages.

The guy is probably borderline psychotic. I remember a post where he would blame someone who smoked tobacco outdoors closer to him for a potencial lug cancer. I would not even report him, he is sick, dumb, and very easy to ignore.

7 hours ago, Lucky said:

Now I had suggested that this old fellow might not be right for this board, given his posts. So what should I think now?

I think you ignore him.  If he persists in the PMs, "out" him by name and his (apparent) trolling.  I know that (from personal experience) we sometimes post not in the best of times, under various substance influences ... and don't really mean what we say (post),

1 hour ago, Mavica said:

I think you ignore him.  If he persists in the PMs, "out" him by name and his (apparent) trolling.  I know that (from personal experience) we sometimes post not in the best of times, under various substance influences ... and don't really mean what we say (post),

100% some unfortunately here are red wine 🍷🍷 drinkers 

I personally receive over 20 personal messages a week and love it 

I think after covid people became a bit too introverted and whilst this is not aimed at the OP ,I do find people are very sensitive and god forbid if a stranger talks to them or even stands near them 

I remember being in a bar in the Jomtien complex last August a middle aged German guy was sitting nearby, he didn't make conversation so I didn't, I spoke nice to the waiter which opened up the German guy to me , strangely he said "I didn't know whether I should talk to you in case you ignore me!

Very strange thing to say , obviously he had some bad experiences,very sad the way society has become where people are scared to say anything to others 

2 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

100% some unfortunately here are red wine 🍷🍷 drinkers

And what, pray tell, is the problem with red wine? It can frequently be one of the world's great drinks which, in relative moderation, has absoutely nothing to do with "substance influences". I think you must be referring to Thai made spirits or some other ultra cheap booze.

If you have never had even a glass of French Chateau Margaux, Haut Brion or Latour, you have missed out on some of the great enjoyments in life, (thanks to working with Rolex on some events I was treated to all three - wines that have forever been way above my pay grade), an Australian Bannockburn Burgundy, an italian Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, or rolled in your mouth a glass of the cherry, dried fig and cedar flavours of a fine Spanish Tempranillo or the meaty, robust richness of a Rhone Valley Chateuneuf du Pape, I feel slightly sorry for you. Even a cheap Valpolicella has certain redeeming features when accompanied by a pleasant Italian meal.

Ha ha ! Funny you should say that Peter , I had my tenant  give me a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon 2020 South Australia red wine 🍷 yesterday as a early Xmas present 

First time I drank in months and it was superb, sweet red wine is my favourite.

Best to put ice in it with the hot weather,is that the norm it do you guys drink without ice?

I'm not sure if it's a cheap bottle or not but went well with my salted peanuts 😁

1 minute ago, Olddaddy said:

Ha ha ! Funny you should say that Peter , I had a neighbour give me a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon 2020 South Australia red wine 🍷 yesterday.

First time I drank in months and it was superb, sweet red wine is my favourite.

I'm not sure if it's a cheap bottle or not but went well with my salted peanuts 😁

I'm delighted you enjoyed it. Sweet red wine is slightly unusual and probably goes well with peanuts. Those I mentioned in my post would be somewhat ruined by the salt in the peanuts. But to each his own taste. Wine can go with amost anything.

Mind you, when China was opening up under Deng Xiao-ping's reforms, the Chinese businessmen who quickly became rich liked to entertain the  principals of western companies with whom they were doing business - or whose production processes they were stealing LOL. They would host expensive dinner parties and order only the best red wine Chateau Mouton Rothschild - one of the 5 truly great Bordeaux wines - which they would then dilute with Coca-Cola! True!  

4 hours ago, PeterRS said:

And what, pray tell, is the problem with red wine? It can frequently be one of the world's great drinks which, in relative moderation, has absoutely nothing to do with "substance influences". I think you must be referring to Thai made spirits or some other ultra cheap booze.

If you have never had even a glass of French Chateau Margaux, Haut Brion or Latour, you have missed out on some of the great enjoyments in life, (thanks to working with Rolex on some events I was treated to all three - wines that have forever been way above my pay grade), an Australian Bannockburn Burgundy, an italian Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, or rolled in your mouth a glass of the cherry, dried fig and cedar flavours of a fine Spanish Tempranillo or the meaty, robust richness of a Rhone Valley Chateuneuf du Pape, I feel slightly sorry for you. Even a cheap Valpolicella has certain redeeming features when accompanied by a pleasant Italian meal.

Don't forget Lafite! Or Mouton Rothschild. I was treated to Lafite by a client in Paris! You are right about Italian meals. We once had a meal in a charming hilltop family restaurant, overlooking Vicenza. Beautiful day and lovely meal. We had a bottle of red , which was bottled by the restaurant. Tasted fabulous. Took a bottle home. In rainy Hertfordshire it tasted terrible!

1 hour ago, Keithambrose said:

Don't forget Lafite! Or Mouton Rothschild. I was treated to Lafite by a client in Paris!

Problem is no-one ever treated me! And I can not justify the price of even one bottle of either. Rolex was a wonderful client in many respects. When working on one of their projects, the head of Hong Kong took me and two of his clients for lunch at Gaddi's restaurant in The Peninsula Hotel, arguably the finest French restaurant in Asia. He was one of just two people in all Hong Kong to maintain a private cellar in the restaurant's own wine cellar.  A bottle of Chateau Margaux 1961 had been pre-opened. When it became clear that this was quickly disappearing, a second bottle appeared. What an extraordinary wine!

Problem is no-one ever treated me! And I can not justify the price of even one bottle of either. Rolex was a wonderful client in many respects. When working on one of their projects, the head of Hong Kong took me and two of his clients for lunch at Gaddi's restaurant in The Peninsula Hotel, arguably the finest French restaurant in Asia. He was one of just two people in all Hong Kong to maintain a private cellar in the restaurant's own wine cellar.  A bottle of Chateau Margaux 1961 had been pre-opened. When it became clear that this was quickly disappearing, a second bottle appeared. What an extraordinary wine!

I have need to Gaddi's, again with clients. There were/are some really good restaurants in HK. I had a client who took me to a pigeon restaurant, somewhere near Sha Tin, and he brought with him bottles of Grange Hermitage, as it was known then, and a 30 year old Armagnac! He also brought his own Crystal glasses! Shame he ended up in prison.....

1 hour ago, thaiophilus said:

I'm no oenologist but I'd have thought a sweet Cabernet Sauvignon would be highly unusual. Maybe the donor adulterated it with something else? 😉 🍷

Agreed, but there surely are what we could term red wines that are sweeter than others - Beaujolais Nouveau, Rosso Dolce and Zinfandel perhaps. A Ruby Port would be ideal, but whether that is termed a red wine or a fortified wine, I'll let an expert advise!

1 hour ago, Keithambrose said:

I have need to Gaddi's, again with clients. There were/are some really good restaurants in HK. I had a client who took me to a pigeon restaurant, somewhere near Sha Tin, and he brought with him bottles of Grange Hermitage, as it was known then, and a 30 year old Armagnac! He also brought his own Crystal glasses! Shame he ended up in prison.....

I have also been to that pigeon restaurant and enjoyed fine meals there. But I've never even had the pleasure of tasting a Grange Hermitage, sadly.

As for the man who ended up in prison, I have an idea I might know who he is. Without naming names, was he known as gay and imprisoned on a gay charge? If so, then I do know who he is and he has an amazing story. Sadly not to be repeated here as I believe the aforesaid gentleman now lives in Bangkok.

I have also been to that pigeon restaurant and enjoyed fine meals there. But I've never even had the pleasure of tasting a Grange Hermitage, sadly.

As for the man who ended up in prison, I have an idea I might know who he is. Without naming names, was he known as gay and imprisoned on a gay charge? If so, then I do know who he is and he has an amazing story. Sadly not to be repeated here as I believe the aforesaid gentleman now lives in Bangkok.

Interesting that you have been to the pigeon restaurant. My client brought his own wine! Sadly, he went to prison for boring case of  fraud, involving his shipping activities! He was married, indeed his wife had an air conditioned room for her fur coats. Not uncommon, I believe!

5 hours ago, khaolakguy said:

And is/was a solicitor?

I will PM you as I do not think it is correct to name names and such specific events in this forum. But as the case you refer to (which I am sure is the same) has been written about in more than one book, there may be some way to write about it here.