forky123

Closing active threads

I think threads should only be closed where there's a good reason & this qualifies as one. 

Where the thread goes a long way off topic and the OP is unhappy with that, I think the OP is entitled to ask for the thread to be closed. The board owner can then make the decision. Which is exactly what happened here.

Where people such as Firecat take the trouble to write about their trips, there should be some support to keep the thread on topic. Preferably by moving any contentious topics to a new thread.

Also, where a thread is of factual use to members, I think it is very important to keep the thread on topic.  For example, hotel reviews.   However, in these cases, it is best to split out or delete of topic posts, so members can continue to add valuable advice. 

I rarely see the point of a thread being closed.  I am also OK with threads going off point.

But, this thread is not deleted. It is still visible to all.  And, anyone can start another thread on the subject being discussed. That is also very easy to do.

I agree with Z that perhaps it would have been better to split the thread. But, that is also often a hard thing to do with so many posts off topic. 

What I hate to see if Firecat not sharing his great adventure with us as I logged in each day just to see what he had done (and who he had done). :)

Overall, I hate to see threads closed unless they have degenerated to name calling or similar. In this particular thread Firecat derailed his own thread with a well meaning and well made rant against so called "cheap Charlies ". I hope Firecat will relent and tell us more of his escapades as, for another 26 days, I can only take part vicariously in the adventures.

I'd say splitting the thread in SGT fashion might have been the best option, to get the main thread back on topic and continue the sideline discussion elsewhere. That said, I think the sideline discussion has run its course, so as long as Firecat resumes his trip report in a new thread, that's fine as well.

Havn't come here for a few days and I see the mentiond thread has brought up continuous arguments, may be I was one of the ppl that annoyed mr firecat when I disagree with his comment. Although I see he misunderstood me in his later comments but I am not going to argue back since the thread is closed and I dont think further argument would be constructive, especially we are coming from different background.

One thing I want to clarify is that the main reason I started to involved in that post was I believe the purpose of this forum is for ppl to share information and discuss in an open, friendly and casual attitude, we probably should avoid making judgement on others if their action/opinion are not making any harm to anyone.

Hope firecat could enjoy his trip and not taking this too personal, forum is just a forum anyway, it is pretty normal when ppl has diff opinion.

mentioned thread has brought up continuous arguments, may be I was one of the ppl that annoyed mr firecat when I disagree with his comment. 

....... forum is just a forum anyway, it is pretty normal when ppl has diff opinion.

Obviously,  as closing thread attests, is not as normal as you think.

I did not see any disagreements and it was fascinating to see how steam builds up over cold water.

Merely suggestions that there are other ways of improving lot of boys than fucking them and paying them generously or that offering substandard rate may come from other reasons than just being cheap were taken as hostile and as  raised in Cheap Charlies defense.

At times parents are throwing toys to kids and when play becomes too noisy  they are taking it from them. Closing threat brought me this cherished memories of time long gone.

Firecat is nice and generous guy. He was just looking for 100% support  and getting 99 was not good enough, we failed  and were cut off.

I support right of  originating posters to request to close their threads. Doors can be closed gently but if somebody decides to slam with bang , their door ,their frame.  

Scooby clearly said, "Feel free to continue discussion under a new Topic."

He's not stopping anyone from continuing to post their opinions about the same subject.  What's the problem?

Exactly.   Whoever decides to start a new thread could also pick an appropriate thread title.

Maybe include a poll about tipping rates or something, as it must be almost a year since the last one.

On the other hand, some people get so wound up and hysterical over tipping, perhaps we can find something else to talk about for a while.

Guest FatRichard

Where people such as Firecat take the trouble to write about their trips, there should be some support to keep the thread on topic. Preferably by moving any contentious topics to a new thread.

Yes but as forky123 pointed out, he derailed his own thread with his own rant against people who tipped less (for whatever reason) than what he thought was acceptable and was taken to task for it. Disagreement and different perspectives are to be expected in a discussion forum - that's why it's called a forum, not a personal diary.  If that is not acceptable to a member, than perhaps they should start a personal blog and disallow comments - an online diary of some sort.  That could work.

I also disagree that posts should be artificially moved to a new thread when they get 'contentious'.  Threads evolve naturally and and can take interesting turns and twists.  Removing posts when they get 'contentious' will only put things out of context and would require the heavy hand of a moderator.  And how do you define 'contentious'?  What is contentious to you may not be contentious to me and once we go down that road, are we then to separate members as timorous vs non-timorous, righteous vs non-righteous, old vs young, big tippers vs small tippers, big dic...vs small..?  Where does it all end?

I urge firecat to reconsider.  His trip reports do nothing for me as I do not enjoy reading (and visualizing!) about elderly white men having sex with nubile Thai twinks but there are obviously others who appreciate them.  Besides, as others have pointed out, his trip reports also contain useful information about hotels, restaurants, etc.  Perhaps after he's cooled off he'd consider posting his trip reports here again.

OK  I'm back for 1 post because the idiocy that some people post is just amazing.  Fat Richard who hardly ever posts says Forky123 pointed out that I de-railed my own thread. Try reading the thread carefully before commenting.  I posted clearly that I  hi-jacked my own thread . Forky pointed out what I already said.

Then he said I was taken to task. Well if 2 comments among many favorable ones is being taken to task then I guess I must really mis-understand the English Language. Not to mention the number of PM's I got in support.

Also it is fair to comment on moving posts and closing posts.  IMHO I started the post and all comments made by anybody were the result of my posts whether about boys with photos or about after when I choose to bring up the problem of Cheap Charlies.   Pretty sure that is why Scooby agreed with me and closed the thread.

I made it plain to him I would not be adding to it.  Not out of disdain for any comments made but because I will have nothing to add.  I have settled into 3 boys and am not looking for anyone else and will not have any future reports this trip.  

Hopefully some members are coming in October and they will provide reports for everyones enjoyment.

For those of you who think Business is Business and that it is acceptable to offer 300 to a boy for Sex, I am at a loss for anything else to say.  For those of you who think that because a Boy sometimes accepts these offers that he truly has the same option as a farang saying No to 3000, I hope you are never put in such a position.

I am quite happy with the overall support I got for my statements and that is not why I asked for the thread to be closed or why I will not be adding to my  trip reports.

I have better things to do then argue about what is fair to the boys who are the only reason we come here.  

If I am out and about and find something worthwhile to report on , I will post it in an existing thread that hopefully someone else starts.

Guest FatRichard

OK  I'm back for 1 post because the idiocy that some people post is just amazing.  Fat Richard who hardly ever posts says Forky123 pointed out that I de-railed my own thread. Try reading the thread carefully before commenting.  I posted clearly that I  hi-jacked my own thread . Forky pointed out what I already said.

Then he said I was taken to task. Well if 2 comments among many favorable ones is being taken to task then I guess I must really mis-understand the English Language. Not to mention the number of PM's I got in support.

I hope I'm allowed to explain my "idiocy" and that firecat69 doesn't take offense and stomp off the playground again.  I quoted forky123's comment because he made it in this thread and I used it for quick referencing.  I have no problems acknowledging that firecat69 made the claim himself in the thread he asked to be closed.

I cannot and do not want to comment on how well firecat69 understands the English language as it is not germane to the discussion.  Also I'm not sure how his comment about my infrequent posting is relevant. Is this some kind of old boys club where only regulars are permitted to share their thoughts?  Anyway, I don't take such things personally and certainly won't start on an anonymous virtual forum.  But if he says he received more favorable comments than negative ones - which appears to be important to him - then all the more he should take things in perspective and re-consider his actions.  If he says he wanted the thread closed because "I have better things to do then argue about what is fair to the boys", then I'm not sure of his logic.  No one said he should use his holiday time to continue arguing about what's fair to the boys.  He could have let others do the arguing or just let the thread die a natural death and drop to the bottom or, better yet, re-focus on his trip reports and exploits.

Explanation on quoting Forky accepted.  My comment on your lack of posts did not say anything about any of your previous posts  or their quality. 

Merely a statement of fact that you have seldom posted and then in my erroneous assumption that you were quoting Forky as though he was the first  to say that.

I am not silly enough to think that there are not readers and even members who grind the boys for everything they can.  There are also many readers looking for information on what they should tip.

I doubt there is anyone here that has the nerve to admit they offer the boys 300 baht.  But in fact there are and my rant was to point out how despicable  they are in my opinion and hopefully limit new visitors from acting the same way.

As far as quantity of posts having anything to do with quality , in some way they do.

If members do not originate posts then the Board dies and if members rarely ever comment on the posts members have started then again the Board dies.

Do I think that members such as Vinapu, Z909, Willie, Myself and many others are more important then someone who occasionally posts a comment on someone else's thread.  Of douse I do.

Let those members put themselves out there by starting threads and seeing where they go and keep them going despite not agreeing with all the comments.

It is a lot easier to throw an occasional comment and then disappear for months then it is to be an active participant on the Board.

Several posters use this forum like a personal blog. Some posters like it, some find it self aggrandizing.

When I like the type of boys i.e. vinapu, I find the posts interesting. When several others regale us with their

lust for fem boys or their cruel treatment of boys, I pass over them.

There's something for everyone on well moderated gay forums.

I am endlessly amused by posters who write that the boy had a great time, the boy loved the sex with me,

and old men who actually believe the pleasure is equally mutual. Denial, amazingly strong among old men.

M

Despite my aggravation with being responsible for hi-jacking my own thread ,  I really am not trying to punish anyone .

I really have 3 boys I am quite happy to rotate through for the next 2 weeks.  I am not looking for anything new . I finally realize I am too old for the pace I had been keeping.  Since those boys have already been reported on, there is nothing for me to report.

Should I stumble for someone new or find something worth reporting on Bars (doubtful) I will report it.

Guest shamahan

I am not a cheap charlie and I have sometimes been scolded for over-tipping the guys during my visits to LOS.  This is my perogative, as I truly believe the guys deserve it - especially in light of what the same services cost back here in Europe. 

Everybody is entitled to pay as much (or as little) as they find appropriate (or managed to negotiate). What I find as not very smart (to put it very mildly)

is when people start bragging about their generosity (or charitability) or inversely how little they managed to pay. There is a going rate and if you deviate from it for whatever reason during sex for money transaction, you do not look good from one standpoint or another no matter how you try to spin it. Keep your financial details private and do it as you please. And if you overpay and try to present others who do not in negative light on public forum , you are  a fucking idiot (pure and simple).

I really have 3 boys I am quite happy to rotate through for the next 2 weeks.  I am not looking for anything new . I finally realize I am too old for the pace I had been keeping.  Since those boys have already been reported on, there is nothing for me to report.

We could call that a Happy Ending. :) Thanks for the reports you posted earlier.

Guest Prakanong

I doubt there is anyone here that has the nerve to admit they offer the boys 300 baht.  But in fact there are and my rant was to point out how despicable  they are in my opinion and hopefully limit new visitors from acting the same way.

Hey, I get it!  You are offended, repulsed, repelled by the idea of someone offering to tip 300 Baht based on some communication that your favorite boy showed you.  Are you sure there was no misunderstanding on your part - maybe the 300 Baht was for the sick buffalo??? Just kidding.  I appreciate the fact that you are totally disgusted by cheap Charlies that you have decided to devote your time to teaching others on how much to pay money-boys and as to what's fair or not fair in this big, bad world.

Despite your overwhelming disgust, I see you've shacked up with three guys whom you've put "on rotation" over the next two weeks.  Split shifts or every three days?  I'm not sure putting boys "on rotation" is a very respectful way of describing human beings serving  your sexual needs.