bucknaway

Pattaya tourist trying Rio for first time

Thanks so much for this excellent info.  Looking forward to your trip and reports!

I have been voraciously reading trip reports on BoyToy.com and chatting with boys on Grindr.  I cannot wait to make the trip soon!

P.S. These guys are stirring new feelings in me.  They make me want to abandon my real-life and just live happily with a Brazilian guy by my side.  :bow:

32 minutes ago, floridarob said:

And cost of living is higher for the guys there.

Is more dangerous than Thailand, not as bad as some people report (especially from people that have never been there).

I plead guilty.  

However, when I hear directly from people that (for example) you don't walk on the beach side of the road after dark because you WILL be mugged, that puts me off.    

The Boy Toy forum has at least a couple of members who report they have been mugged in Brazil.   As a comparison, I don't recall any members here being mugged in Thailand.

I also like to walk everywhere, whereas perhaps some are happy to take a taxi from door to door in every case to reduce their risk.      

However, I'm still slightly tempted to visit.

Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world I also like to walk everywhere especially at nights when the weather is more calm never faced any problem at Thailand ,I admit the South America is putting me off because of the high crime rate there maybe someday I will get the courage to visit there.

While the crime rate is high, it’s mostly in the big cities. Rio and São Paulo.   Brazil is as beautiful a country as there is. If you visit other coastal cities the crime rate drops.   We are all used to the lack of crime in Thailand, but in most of the rest of the world it exists. I live in Ft.Lauderdale. I wouldn’t walk on the beach in Miami or Ft.Lauderdale late at night for safety reasons.   

Chances are if you go to Brazil it will be a much shorter trip than you do to Thailand .   Yes, you’ll probably make a few adjustments for safety.  But if you have the opportunity don’t miss out on the incredible beauty of the country and some of the most beautiful and sexy people around.    Rio beaches are an amazing sight.    Just use them daytime, not nighttime.          

My concern is that Brazil is dangerous for Brazilians, not for tourists,  if they are black, gay or poor. or Indians in the Amazon region. Or opponents of a racist, homophobic government. 

This is how homeless, black kids are treated by security guards.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2019/09/04/shocking-video-shows-black-homeless-teen-stripped-gagged-and-whipped-for-allegedly-stealing-chocolate-in-brazil/

Of course, death squads , involving police and paramilitary personnel, have a long history of crimes, including murder, against street kids. Particularly black ones. Watch the movie "Pixote".

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

My concern is that Brazil is dangerous for Brazilians, not for tourists,  if they are black, gay or poor. or Indians in the Amazon region. Or opponents of a racist, homophobic government.

1   None of the articles includes evidence of security guards targetting black people.  For all we know, they may be equally brutal with all shoplifters, irrespective of race.   Perhaps if the policing is ineffective, shops are looking for alternative methods to discourage theft, even if this is extreme by modern western standards.

Newspapers like the Guardian suggest that victims are often black people, but that is not the same as monitoring all shoplifting & identifying if the punishment differs according to the race of the offender.

2   There are a long list of countries with governments which are less than perfect.  I'm not sure Brazil merits a boycott because some security guards misbehaved.   So the decision comes back to how it would be for us as tourists.   Since I'm not going to steal 4 bars of chocolate, I wouldn't worry about shop security guards picking on me.   When we see reports of them whipping an entirely innocent Brazilian citizen or tourist, that's the time to worry.

The assault on the boy was merely an illustration of  the behaviour enabled and encouraged by a vicious regime which, you may  recall, won an election after imprisoning democratically elected leaders  to stop them from participating in elections. Street-children are particularly vulnerable, but there are other minorities- gays, blacks- who are also being targeted.

I don't expect posters to boycott all countries with  less than perfect (sic) human rights records- Myanmar, the Philippines, Israel etc-  but   I thought that  the specifically homophobic nature of Bolsonaro's government may make potential gay tourists just a little uneasy. Evidently, I was wrong; as long as the guys are cheap and the saunas busy, all is well.  

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

The assault on the boy was merely an illustration of  the behaviour enabled and encouraged by a vicious regime which, you may  recall, won an election after imprisoning democratically elected leaders  to stop them from participating in elections. Street-children are particularly vulnerable, but there are other minorities- gays, blacks- who are also being targeted.

I don't expect posters to boycott all countries with  less than perfect (sic) human rights records- Myanmar, the Philippines, Israel etc-  but   I thought that  the specifically homophobic nature of Bolsonaro's government may make potential gay tourists just a little uneasy. Evidently, I was wrong; as long as the guys are cheap and the saunas busy, all is well.  

Thailand has prevented opposition leaders from participation in elections with the threat of arrest, so similar in principle to what you describe in Brazil.    Worse still is Russia, where the opposition tend to die from mysterious cases of poisoning.

The Brazil flogging case seems to be merely some rogue guards & at least the guy had been stealing.   In Indonesia, some gays had a more or less official public lashing for homosexual activity.

There would be a very long list of countries to boycott if you set the bar so high.    Or more correctly, there are many countries with low standards of governance.

When I was mugged in Amsterdam, it was noon and in front of my hotel.   It happens everywhere in the world.   Buts its a  choice we have to make in our travels.   We can just sit and watch tv from the safety of our homes and not experience other cultures.    I’ll agree that if your really concerned about your safety in your travels your not going to have a good time.   You just have to do what’s best for yourself and travel to places where you feel comfortable.  

4 hours ago, paulsf said:

Buts its a  choice we have to make in our travels.   We can just sit and watch tv from the safety of our homes and not experience other cultures.    I’ll agree that if your really concerned about your safety in your travels your not going to have a good time.   You just have to do what’s best for yourself and travel to places where you feel comfortable.  

A lot of it's about  probabilities.  

I don't read about muggings in Thailand on this forum.   Yet we have members who even (I believe) reside in Thailand writing about being mugged in Brazil.  

I'm not going to spend the next 30 years sat in front of my TV and I like my travel.   However, if you give me the choice of going to Thailand and walking anywhere I fancy, OR going to Rio and having to take taxis for safety reasons, then the trip to Rio becomes much less attractive.

Forty years of travel- Africa, Asia,the Middle East, Europe, even the USA (once)- and my moments of fear have been few.  A gang of feral Israeli Border Police in Palestine (Silwan),  a wrong  turning in my car in West Kingston, Jamaica, during the JLP-PNP disturbances in 1973, an unwise encounter with a handsome Nubian felacca captain in Luxor, Egypt and with an interested policeman as I disembarked an hour later... ....that's all I can think of. And I regret none of those visits.

I raise the issue of  Brazil on a gay forum because of its poisonously homophobic government  threatening our community specifically,  though  there are anti-racist issues there for me as well. 

I agree  with z909 and Paulsf;  there are risks when we  travel and there are risks when  we stay at home. More Britons are killed by accidents in the kitchen than on roads or on planes.

Carpe diem.  And as far as Thailand is concerned, seventy plus visits and my only moments of unease were encountering a pack of soi-dogs in Chiang Mai (and I'm a dog-lover) and  a ride on a motor-cy taxi driven by a barely-pubescent kid who had yet to learn the meaning of fear.   We are indeed fortunate to have discovered Thailand.

years ago, a farang recommended carrying a second wallet with little cash and credit cards from closed accounts.

This second wallet was intended to be given up if mugged.  I never followed the suggestion but maybe it would be

more useful in a more dangerous city.  The farang did warn that the mugger could get angry and get violent

with the little money in the second wallet.

On 9/9/2019 at 2:32 AM, williewillie said:

years ago, a farang recommended carrying a second wallet with little cash and credit cards from closed accounts.

This second wallet was intended to be given up if mugged.  I never followed the suggestion but maybe it would be

more useful in a more dangerous city.  The farang did warn that the mugger could get angry and get violent

with the little money in the second wallet.

hearing all that , I rather stick to Thailand

On 9/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, z909 said:

1   None of the articles includes evidence of security guards targetting black people.  For all we know, they may be equally brutal with all shoplifters, irrespective of race.   Perhaps if the policing is ineffective, shops are looking for alternative methods to discourage theft, even if this is extreme by modern western standards.

Newspapers like the Guardian suggest that victims are often black people, but that is not the same as monitoring all shoplifting & identifying if the punishment differs according to the race of the offender.

This article is based on a report of Brazil;s own Senate

http://agenciabrasil.ebc.com.br/en/direitos-humanos/noticia/2017-12/forum-reports-black-genocide-brazil-un

On the general safety of Brazil, I too confess to never having been there. My opinion of safety there (or otherwise) is based on the experience of a former colleague of mine. He was English, his wife Brazilian.  He gave up a lifestyle in Brazil that included a large house and servants, for a poky semi in Hertfordshire because he and his wife decided that Brazil was too dangerous a place to bring up children.

I'm probably not the right person to look to advice on visiting Brazil since I'm not excited about this trip.  I thought I'd be excited at some point but here is sit on the gay beach of ipenema and I don't care.  Yes the guys are hot and there are so, so many that it can be overwhelming.  Yes I had some of the best sex I've had in a while but I'm still not wowed.

Right now I'm waiting for a guy from planet Romeo to meet me.  I'm sure it will be a lot of fun but...  I don't know.  When I get back to the room I'll begin my trip report.