numazu

Bangkok Trip Report 2019: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same Part 2

I can attest that rio food is lame and expensive especially those beach-facing restaurant along copacabana and ipanema beach. Ive tried the downtown restaurants too but its all the same, albeit less expensive. Safety is a concern if you venture out of the normal tourist area and past certain hours, which is not at all a concern in thailand. Hotels is cheaper in thailand, value for money wise too, as u can get 5 stars hotel near all the action for usd 100 or so. This is true for most of south east asian country minus singapore of course. Ive only been to rio, but hotel prices along the beach are way too expensive for same quality same size room compared to bangkok. And brazil inflation is a bit crazy and unpredictable too, so go when its cheap like now.

Too bad i cant comment on brazillian boys, as when i travel for work, given the security concern in brazil, i dont dare venture out and jeopardize my work visit. I dont want to be in trouble when the police asked where i was when i got robbed and the answer is inside a sauna somewhere lol. I wish i could extent my stay but due to the nature of my work, needed to return back as soon as possible. But i did hire a brazillian guy elsewhere and boy they are totally on a different level altogether and its so easy to fall in love with one if you are not careful lol

13 hours ago, floridarob said:

Keep in mind the real is very weak at the moment, when it was 3.3 or 1.7 is a big difference. Also the years leading up to  the world cup  
Safety is different in both countries, although I think how dangerous Brasil is has been over exaggerated...it def exists but the odds of something happening to you if you are careful and don't stay out after midnight are low.

Yes, the odds are always kinda low if you are careful - but that's not the point. The point is that in a safe place like Bangkok you don't even HAVE to be careful, and you can go out at ANY hour and even then don't have to be careful. That's the attraction of a safe place. No looking over one's shoulder, no uneasy feeling, nothing. Carefree vs careful I guess. I prefer carefree :) 

13 hours ago, floridarob said:

I'm in Bali now...I like Indonesia too.

Yup, I like it too. Bali in particular has that special, laid back bali-vibe which I like. Will be there again, too, over Songkran

12 hours ago, spoon said:

Too bad i cant comment on brazillian boys, as when i travel for work, given the security concern in brazil, i dont dare venture out and jeopardize my work visit. I dont want to be in trouble when the police asked where i was when i got robbed and the answer is inside a sauna somewhere lol. I wish i could extent my stay but due to the nature of my work, needed to return back as soon as possible. But i did hire a brazillian guy elsewhere and boy they are totally on a different level altogether and its so easy to fall in love with one if you are not careful lol

Next work trip there get a local guide by the name of @numazu to help you with the fun exploits ;) 

12 minutes ago, anddy said:

.... safe place like Bangkok you don't even HAVE to be careful, and you can go out at ANY hour and even then don't have to be careful. That's the attraction of a safe place. No looking over one's shoulder, no uneasy feeling, nothing.

I agree with  whole heart, in fact one of my  favorite things to do when I arrive late  and can't sleep due to jet lag or finished short time is to wander through completely deserted Patpong and soi Twilight ( when it was still reality ) at dead of the night and  soak in eerie quietness without any thought somebody may follow me. Only one time when somebody did it turned out to be Oud from Jupiter , veteran of quite a few offs, LOL

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

I agree with  whole heart, in fact one of my  favorite things to do when I arrive late  and can't sleep due to jet lag or finished short time is to wander through completely deserted Patpong and soi Twilight ( when it was still reality ) at dead of the night and  soak in eerie quietness without any thought somebody may follow me. Only one time when somebody did it turned out to be Oud from Jupiter , veteran of quite a few offs, LOL

I never felt unsafe in Thailand,One of the safest countries .

Your mileage may vary is all I can say. Everyone’s level of cost to benefit ratio with travel is different. I’m probably more of a thrill-seeker relative to the average poster here, so probably most of my ideas of a vacation maybe too risky for a lot. I see Bangkok like going to Disneyland: fun, safe, but somewhat repetitive. I see Brazilian cities like a trip to Yosemite National Park in California: you can just go to the park and take the easy hikes like any tourist, but the full Yosemite experience is the day hike at Half Dome: it takes planning, at time dangerous, but boy oh boy, the views at the top are like nothing you've ever experienced.

And I'm pretty sure more people go to Disneyland than to the top of Half Dome. I've done both. I have fun in both. Which one do I remember more? You probably know the answer. 

I can certainly understand the concerns about Brazil. And for the longest time I was scared off as well, with Brazil not even in the top 10 of the countries I wanted to visit, because of what I read online and the news about crime and how dangerous it is. But I obviously made the leap, with my first time at a Brazilian sauna chronicled in BoyToy.  But before I came, I did my research, and I sifted through the overblown hysteria about how dangerous it is, and found some sane and level-headed travel tips from people who have actually been there and loved it, and kept on coming back. And the funny thing is, the tips were similar to travel tips for any other well-travelled city out there worth visiting. 

On 1/27/2020 at 5:33 PM, floridarob said:

Safety is different in both countries, although I think how dangerous Brasil is has been over exaggerated...it def exists but the odds of something happening to you if you are careful and don't stay out after midnight are low.

I don’t even think this is a hard and fast rule. My last 3-week trip over the holidays, it was rare that I went home before 2 AM. And I walked the streets of Sao Paulo at 4 AM after a night dancing my ass off at The Week.  Also in Salvador, Bahia, the murder capital of Brazil, going home at 3 AM after a night of samba with the bf.  And I stayed at the beach over New Year’s till 10 AM, occasionally taking a nap in the sand, with my friends just dancing the night away. But I always was with friends or my BF, I was always aware of what I was doing (more or less), and I just let Brazil, and Brazilians, envelope me with their trademarked joie de vive. This is purely my experience though. I would not recommend early morning strolls in Rio to anyone, unless with a pack of handsome Brazilians. But I guess if you are not walking with a pack of handsome Brazilians, you are probably doing it wrong lol.

After 17 trips in 2 years, and spending almost 27% (97 days out of 365) of 2019 enjoying its beaches and culture and men (lol), it is now my favorite place on earth. Thailand of course will always hold a dear place in my heart. But last few trips to the Land of Smiles became a little bit like “wash, rinse, repeat”. More same same. The all-too-familiar routine going to boy bars has worn on me somewhat. I’m sure I’ll get bored of Brazil at some point, but right now it is giving me enough variety, and thrills, and of course, danger, to make it interesting.

10 hours ago, bucknaway said:

When I was in brazil, my guard was up the first few days but days later I was strolling the dark deserts streets of Ipanema brazil.  But if I keep my mouth shut I can be mistaken for a local.  

In Thailand I'm often asked if I'm military or police haha!

In Thailand, I get mistaken for a local all the time, unless I say something. In Brazil, I never get mistaken for a local, which has its own perks. 

13 hours ago, anddy said:

Yup, I like it too. Bali in particular has that special, laid back bali-vibe which I like. Will be there again, too, over Songkran

Like I've told you @anddy, the Brazilian BF and I are planning to go for Songkran, so sorry to miss you. Taking a piece of Brazil with me to Bangkok will be interesting for sure. The BF is kind of concerned about the coronavirus in Asia though, so let's see.

13 hours ago, vinapu said:

I've done this in Brazil too. I've wandered Paulista Avenue in Sao Paulo, and the streets of Ipanema in Rio after the gay club visit, and all was fine. 

On 1/27/2020 at 7:10 PM, spoon said:

But i did hire a brazillian guy elsewhere and boy they are totally on a different level altogether and its so easy to fall in love with one if you are not careful lol

Can't have said it better myself lol.

13 hours ago, anddy said:

Next work trip there get a local guide by the name of @numazu to help you with the fun exploits ;) 

LOL I'll be the @anddy of Brazil!

100% agree with everything you said in above post. Especially two eternal truths:

27 minutes ago, numazu said:

Your mileage may vary is all I can say

That has been your mantra forever, and it couldn't be more true.

27 minutes ago, numazu said:

and I sifted through the overblown hysteria about how dangerous it is

so true, in the online age the negative things are often totally overblown, simply because people are more driven to report and discuss negative things such as the crime danger in Brazil than normality. My own mantra in this regard: "never believe the hype (positive or negative)" - at the very least do your own research and form an informed opinion. As you successfully did. 

30 minutes ago, numazu said:

Like I've told you @anddy, the Brazilian BF and I are planning to go for Songkran, so sorry to miss you. Taking a piece of Brazil with me to Bangkok will be interesting for sure.

ah yes so sad... I would have loved to meet him for a view into that world. Having said that, depending on when you arrive we just might still overlap for a day or two. I leave on the 11th.

31 minutes ago, numazu said:

The BF is kind of concerned about the coronavirus in Asia though, so let's see.

All I can say to that is "overblown hysteria". Yes of course one needs to take some simple and sensible precautions, but you won't catch a virus from walking the same street with infected people. Besides, there are what, 5 cases reported now in Thailand? That's less than 1 in a million of the Thai population. Chances to win the lottery are higher.... And chances to "win" this one can be reduced by appropriate measures. Of course this particular infection warrants some more thorough precautions given it's elevated higher mortality rate relative to more common infections.

BUT avoiding an infection is a common sense thing, and this one is no different. One succeeds in avoiding the common flu in flu season with the appropriate precautions even when millions of people around us are infected. So gimme a break. 

14 cases in Thailand so far.

China6,087
Thailand14
Taiwan8
Japan7
Singapore7
Malaysia7
United States5
Australia5
South Korea4
France4
Germany4
U.A.E.4
Vietnam2
Canada2
Nepal1
Cambodia1
Sri Lanka1

Last updated: Jan 29 at 4:00 pm

Note: China total includes 10 cases in Hong Kong and 7 in Macao

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/01/22/mapping-spread-new-coronavirus/?arc404=true

On 1/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, numazu said:

I don’t even think this is a hard and fast rule. My last 3-week trip over the holidays, it was rare that I went home before 2 AM. And I walked the streets of Sao Paulo at 4 AM after a night dancing my ass off at The Week.

All it takes is one time to change your mind on that....I had been to SP about 50 times when I ended up in an ambulance wondering what happened. 

But did it stop me, no.....wrong place def wrong time of night....