Tomcal

20 years of Memories

Thanks @Tomcal for the great trip down memory lane and for the sexy photos.

I have always enjoyed your stories and the amazing times you shared on the forums. It has brought so many to Brazil.  And, I was lucky enough to be there with you and I can say without question that @Lonnie comment about great friendships extends beyond just the guys, but to all the old men (like me) who have met you over the years.

24 minutes ago, davet said:

Your recollections should shatter many preconceptions about these guys. Were there any guy you were tempted to pursue a more "serious" relationship with?

Yes  i really fell for the dentist i mentioned and it does get complicated for several reasons!  He had gone to my home in Mexico 6 times with me over the last 2 years and we actually talked about getting married but i broke up with him 2 weeks ago after getting back from my latest trip to Rio!  it was hard but for the best and i do wish him much happiness!

Everyone is different and for me the best thing i can do is not being in a long term relationship but rather enjoy the great time Brazil provides!

About 2/3 of the guys i see on a given trip are guys i know from previous visits and the majority don’t work in the sauna anymore, so it is more like dates with them! As an example this last trip i was with 21 guy of which 13 were guys i knew from previous trips!

• Members
10 minutes ago, Tomcal said:

Everyone is different and for me the best thing i can do is not being in a long term relationship but rather enjoy the great time Brazil provides!

giphy.gif

For me, replace "Brazil" with "life". Even if incidentally I am planning to spend a substantial portion of my future life in Brazil.

1 hour ago, babybear2 said:

Curious about your observations over the past 20 years regarding sauna boys?

Better in quantity/quality or decline or similar? 

Initially i didn’t think sauna life would last this long as i started going to the saunas just when places like the Gaiety and Stellas in NTC and Numbers in LA were slowing down, but culturally Brazil was different how they viewed them!  they were busy and in fact had 6 saunas in Rio around 2005/6.  today both Rio and São Paulo each have 2 to service a metro area of 9 million and 23 Million respectfully!   Economics certainly are playing a big part, so the short answer i see them surviving for the next 5 years just because of economics! there are and will continue to be a lot of young Brazilians out of work! Actually cities a lot smaller then Rio or SP have 2 saunas!(Porto Alegre, Belo Horzonte, , Salvador are 3 examples).

As far as quality goes that is “in the eye of the beholder”! Certainly Lagoa would multiple Gorgeus guys on any night 15 years ago(and some are still there just more wrinkles)but there are still stunning guys to be found! if i could have shown the faces on the photos i posted i think you would agree!  This trip i just got back from i found a stunning guy at Pointe and was told by the owner that was his first night working and he was amazing!  I admit that 5 of the guys i currently see there do not work the saunas or online.  They have regular jobs and see me when they have free time to meet up and they do cost about $50,r more then the sauna guys, but to me they are worth it!

Sorry for the long reply!

• Members

Members here have speculated on the future of Lagoa, Point, 117, etc. Online competition. Altered social engagement contexts.

The population and age pyramid trends point to an overall increasing growth of 15% from 2010-2030. Moreover a marked increase in the so called ‘silver economy’ demographic. That is, significantly increasing numbers of middle-age-and-up queer men outgrowing nightclub options, if that was even their thing, and needing a more conventional, beyond virtual, outlet on weekend evenings. Many are single, with few socializing opportunities within their orientation. 

All this likely transcending the ravages of COVID. 

Savvy business in Brazil is mindful of the bulging proportional population share of older folks. I think there will be constancy in demand for a range of entertainment venue outings. 

I am counting on it.

21 hours ago, Tomcal said:

About 2/3 of the guys i see on a given trip are guys i know from previous visits and the majority don’t work in the sauna anymore, so it is more like dates with them! As an example this last trip i was with 21 guy of which 13 were guys i knew from previous trips!

Nice. But, you do know that leaves 8 new guys and that is more than I can handle in a 2 week trip. :)

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

@tomcal has also managed to avoid COVID in Brazil. Congratulations!

I have been to Brazil 3 times and mexico twice in the last year and feit as safe is i did in SoCal with the precautions being taken in both countries!  although i was probably most nervous in Cancun(not in Merida)!

On 6/2/2021 at 9:49 PM, Tomcal said:

I have been to Brazil 3 times and mexico twice in the last year and feit as safe is i did in SoCal with the precautions being taken in both countries!  although i was probably most nervous in Cancun(not in Merida)!

Why?