CurtisD

Travel in the Time of Omicron – A Saga

1 hour ago, CurtisD said:

Prologue

During Covid I have been consistently too optimistic about the probability of international travel. I repeatedly book trips only to eventually cancel them. I carry on regardless and book the next trip, but my expectations have slowly diminished, to the point that I was not really expecting to make this trip to Thailand.

It was only after the e-tickets arrived that I truly believed that this trip was a Go.

I should have been elated, but after the initial euphoric rush I was strangely flat. I organized the mechanics of travel down to the last detail and took steps to eliminate anything within my power that could cause problems. I imposed a self-quarantine for the seven days prior to my PCR test, excusing myself from pre-Christmas events and Christmas dinner itself. I booked a limo service to the airport as Uber have become a little less reliable.

But I did not get into the usual personal preparation or have a plan of what to do other than seeing Bangkok Guy. I continued to drink and eat a little too much and not exercise enough. My mood should have been up, but pre-Christmas socializing was leaving me flat. One evening, returning home after a fabulous dinner party, the flat feeling really struck me – what was going on?

I know myself well enough that if I take the time to stop and reflect I find the patterns that point to the problem. When I am flat something is weighing on my subconscious, and the trick is to identify what it is so that I can deal with it. I realized I was very concerned. Very concerned that something would prevent the trip. Very concerned that after two years of Line-only contact the chemistry between Bangkok Guy and I will not be the same.    

Behind the concern is the fact that Bangkok Guy is deeply under my skin. Possibly too deeply. Many things have kept me bouncing along and sane during the disruption of the last two years and my connection with Bangkok Guy is one of them. Forced separation has intensified the importance of the connection.

There is no point in letting an anticipated problem which may or may not eventuate weigh you down. You need to do what you can to ensure the outcome you want and then hope for the best, but be mentally prepared for the worst and have an attractive Plan B.

So I took charge of my drinking, eating and exercising. I can stroll the beach confident that I look presentable in swim shorts. I went through the Koh Samui guide and found things to see and do. For the days in Bangkok I have a list of restaurants to try and possible overnight trips. The trip is now in shape to be an excellent holiday and a great first encounter with the World after the last two years. And if the chemistry with Bangkok Guy is still good, that will be the icing on the cake.

But if I am honest with myself, the icing is of more interest than the cake.

What is exactly the relationship with Bangkok Guy ? Are you sending him money ? What is the expectations of Bangkok Guy from you ?

6 hours ago, CurtisD said:

Prologue

During Covid I have been consistently too optimistic about the probability of international travel. I repeatedly book trips only to eventually cancel them. I carry on regardless and book the next trip, but my expectations have slowly diminished, to the point that I was not really expecting to make this trip to Thailand.

I'm surprised you did not jump into Test &Go as soon as they announced it

5 hours ago, CurtisD said:

.......four alternative five star hotels to secure a back-up plan. Two are very clear ‘double-vaccination only’, one is open to accepting the doctor’s letter once they have seen it and can verify its contents, and one is equally clear at the opposite end of the spectrum ‘we have no vaccination requirement’.

looks that it's better to avoid those 5 stars in covid time. In my 25 days there in Dec only one hotel (Zing Jomtien )  asked me for proof of vaccination but I stay in more modest ( read cheaper )  places.

12 hours ago, CurtisD said:

“I feel weak lately. Do not want to travel. So sorry.” Although he looks good on Line - he probably makes sure he looks good when I call - I should have been more attuned to his earlier comment ‘not good inside’.

Since he is not fully vaccinated, he is more susceptible to have a more severe complication from covid and potentially long covid too. I sincerely hope he will recover well, hopefully soon enough for u to see it yourself in your report 😔

14 hours ago, vinapu said:

ooks that it's better to avoid those 5 stars in covid time

You have a point. The need for vaccination to fly was clear early on, but the need for vaccination at the hotels was only made clear later. Often from their websites the policy was not clear. 

On balance I preferred to stay at hotels requiring vaccination/doctor's letter because, in hindsight, I was being overly cautious.

When I re-booked the trip I assumed Omicron would become prevalent in Thailand during my stay and given how infectious it is I wanted all the distancing and protections I could get. Who wants to be in hospital for ten days at a cost of $4,000-$5,000 plus the cost of cancelations and rebookings, especially for something that is likely to be asymptomatic to mild for someone fully-vaccinated-and-boosted? 

While I was in Thailand all the reports from friends back home were of them/family/friends getting Omicron, with no symptoms beyond a normal cold. The surge back home was massive.

While the surge I anticipated materialized back home, it did not materialize in Thailand while I was there (and still has not), so I could have been much more relaxed than I was.