reader

Patpong comings and goings

The first video I have seen that features the new Sol bar, as well as Virgin, that new straight bar that recently opened towards the Silom end of Patpong 2.  Some familiar faces in that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qZqBKyNBa8

It was shot on Friday night last week. A bit quiet for a Friday night, but it might just have been early. The video was shot by someone on their first visit to Patpong, The wide-eyed "can this actually be happening?" tone is amusing in its own right. A nice reminder of how overwhelming, how exhilarating it can all e the first time.

11 hours ago, Department_Of_Agriculture said:

The first video I have seen that features the new Sol bar, as well as Virgin, that new straight bar that recently opened towards the Silom end of Patpong 2.  Some familiar faces in that video.

Great video and it feels like walking there but commentary is uninspiring.

Wonder if he did not notice he walked into boy bar area or chosen  not to say anything.

Considering he freely admitted to never hearing about Cambodia and her temples until this trip first option is possible.

I noticed Michelin added half star to Foodland and now it's fully 8 stars

19 hours ago, Department_Of_Agriculture said:

It was shot on Friday night last week. A bit quiet for a Friday night, but it might just have been early. The video was shot by someone on their first visit to Patpong, The wide-eyed "can this actually be happening?" tone is amusing in its own right. A nice reminder of how overwhelming, how exhilarating it can all e the first time.

If only he had focused more on the bars! It's as though he was in a hurry to pass them quickly and reach the end of the soi!

11 hours ago, vinapu said:

Wonder if he did not notice he walked into boy bar area or chosen  not to say anything.

He quite obviously noticed them. Hard not to notice when the signage is offering Dream Boys, Hot Male, Fresh Boys and Screw Boys. It probably wasn't wasn't what he was expecting in the famous Patpong and was not quite sure what to say. To his credit. unlike some commentators, that didn't lead to negative remarks.

4 hours ago, jason1975 said:

If only he had focused more on the bars! It's as though he was in a hurry to pass them quickly and reach the end of the soi!

Unfortunate but not unexpected. His previous video was on Patpong 1 and the touts, bouncers and girls there are much more cagey about being filmed. He obviously carried that caution over to Patpong 2 as well. Would have been nice if he had panned the camera when passing the boy bars, but each focuses on what interests us.

It looks that soon we will have new hotel of Japanese brand right across Park Silom and I  between Thaniya and soi 4. 

I, m afraid it will.be one of those quite costly place with postcard size rooms like Quarter Silom and Ibis Styles but we will.see when somebody reports from there.

Pics taken this morning20240203_095638.thumb.jpg.aedbc0931480b7b34121d1c69eea8e3d.jpg20240203_095629.thumb.jpg.f107523e5fc11e6c8207bfdd38c31328.jpg

4 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Two quick comments: 
1.  Beware artist's renditions - rooms may be smaller than they look in the pictures.

Sometimes it happens the same with boys. 

Yesterday engaged one of Jey Spa therapists and it was a case. Nothing misleading , just picture taken at proper angle as otherwise guy looked the same. I'd say smart marketing

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

It looks that whoever is being  built on former Dusit Thani hotel site, be it condo  , hotel or gigantic go-go club   will be sporting identical spire famous hotel did.

Pics taken from Lumpini this morning. Mahanakhon in the distance.

20240204_111018.thumb.jpg.8dfd27d839b230e54550fe94f24ccbb1.jpg

Dust Thani was my favourite hotel. I stayed there 10 days before it closed, and staff in the Club lounge said the iconic spire will be saved. Lovely lounge with big balcony. When I first stayed there, 1978, it was the tallest building in Bangkok! Main building had lovely Thai  style  rooms, lots of silk, and wood. quite large. I doubt the new one will be the same! I was told that it is supposed to open in December,  but that looks unlikely!

1 hour ago, reader said:

+1

The old Dusit Thani was also my favorite splurge hotel. The new one appears to maintain the same iconic roof top bar that adorned it. The "Dusit" rooms were actually suites with the decor Keith describes above. And never experienced an issue with guests.

Here's artist's rendering of one of their better rooms in the new version. I believe I've read it's going to be a multi-use tower.

image.jpeg.ff6fdef836a4e55cfc81f9805be3201d.jpeg

Thanks for the pic. Looks encouraging. Yes, I think it is multi use. The problem  with the old hotel, from an income point of view, was the enormous hotel car park, which took up valuable space, which will now bring in more income. Mind you, bearing in mind earlier comments about staffing,  it will be interesting to see if the hotel, and others in Bangkok 1, can get good staff.

I have to say that I preferred the suites in the Dusit Thani to the suite in the Meredien,  that I now book. The Meredien is very comfortable,  and convenient,  but I'm not a fan of the decor!

21 hours ago, reader said:

I believe the Dusit operates a school for those interested in hospitality industry. I'm confident that they are better positioned to attract good staff.

Would be a sensible move!

While entering Foodland for breakfast this morning, was greeted by makings of an expansive new venue opposite Foodland. It extends all the way to sub-soi where entrance to Dream Boy is located. 

My friend asked construction workers what type of place is going to emerge and was told big bar with dance floor. That leaves a lot of options but we’re inclined to think it may resemble the large music and dance venue at the other end of that sub-soi on PP1.

In any case, encouraging to see renewed interest in vacant space.

image.thumb.jpeg.9e43643347b2b791f74ff717e0a5afab.jpeg

When I was there last week there were also some movements in former Bangkok Massage under Dreamboys. It looked like store (7/11 ?) being inserted. Do you see something there?  I ask because it was also talk about movie being filmed there so it could be just movie  set.