Pantherz

Rats in Silom šŸ€

During a recent visit to Bangkok, I couldnā€™t help but notice an incredible number of rats in the Silom area as I was walking around. One evening I counted at least one on every block. It was actually quite nauseating and having been to Bangkok many times, I donā€™t recall ever having seen so many in the past. I realize that rats are common in big cities, especially when there is street food and trash around, but this last experience truly seemed to be record breaking. Has anyone else noticed this? Iā€™m not sure what can be done but I hope it doesnā€™t get worse.Ā 

2 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

I have frequently noticed rats but not that the numbers have increased in recent years.

Maybe I just happened to notice them more than usual. It just seemed very strange. I remember reading an article that they were all coming out during the beginning of the pandemic because there werenā€™t many people around and they were hungry and looking for food. In any case there definitely a lot more than I had ever noticed before.Ā 

Rats are commonplace in cities worldwide whenever major construction projects are under way--a condition that certainly describes what's going on around Silom. As the critters are displaced by the demolition, they scurry about in search of foodĀ  and new quarters.

Returned recently from a two-month trip to Bangkok and and it was not uncommon to see rats moving about. Fortunately, there's also many natural predators (stray cats, dogs and yes--even snakes) around these sites that help police the population.

6 hours ago, 10tazione said:

End of 2021 when tourist numbers where still low and I was walking along Surawong Road in the night in sandals, rats were running over my feet more than one time. I dont know who was more shocked, me or the rats.

Maybe those particular rats had/have a foot fetish.Ā  Ā Ā :D

5 hours ago, reader said:

Rats are commonplace in cities worldwide whenever major construction projects are under way--a condition that certainly describes what's going on around Silom. As the critters are displaced by the demolition, they scurry about in search of foodĀ  and new quarters.

Where I live in Florida there are many mobile home parks, and some are being cleared for construction of new rental apartment or condo construction.Ā  Last year, one such redevelopment took place and hundreds of rats ran for cover ... onto the properties of $300,000 homes a short distance away.Ā  I laughed, but affected homeowners didn't.

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

The rats we saw in Surawong three weeks ago were congregated in piles of food refuse from street vendors' stalls. There may be issues with refuse collection.

The refuse is collected in the late evening an early morning hours in Silom area. Rats have learned the schedule and race to get their share.

56 minutes ago, Mavica said:

Maybe those particular rats had/have a foot fetish.Ā  Ā Ā :D

Even rodents have a fantasy life. Lol

1 hour ago, reader said:

The refuse is collected in the late evening an early morning hours in Silom area. Rats have learned the schedule and race to get their share.

Even rodents have a fantasy life. Lol

Of course they have - I mean, they are smart enough to train Ninja Turtles!!

Screenshot_20230727_141359_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d02dac341becf4d617c9feec670c7c6e.jpg

Back in 2018 during Songkran, after dark me and a friend walked along Silom to Burger King. The rats were in their thousands, flushed out the drains by all the water. We were using our water guns to clear a path for us to walk.Ā 

When you sit on Soi 4, on those wooden terraces. Be sure there are dozens of rats underneath your feet. As said, big cities. You are never more than 6 feet from a rat.Ā 

On 7/27/2023 at 5:40 PM, Mavica said:

Last year, one such redevelopment took place and hundreds of rats ran for cover ... onto the properties of $300,000 homes a short distance away.Ā  I laughed, but affected homeowners didn't.

Some people don,t have sense if humor or simply don,t like animals.

I must say that during recent trip I had the same impression OP had, number of rats seemed higher than ever. I was passing by nightly by certain pile ofĀ  garbage on Sala Daeng, just past Senso going to Silom and congregation there was more than impressive.Ā 

ButĀ  like animals so just were carefull not to step on one.

From memory over the years I have only seen several 4 legged rats in the Silom area (probably seen many more after a nights drinks but not in the memory bank), plenty of 2 legged ones trying to scam me into those upstairs sex shows (no chance of that). I must also confess that being a regular gym goer when in Bangkok I have seen many desirable "gym rats", that also means both male and female ones:pĀ Oh and if not attending the gym in the mornings there was always the seriously well built hunks working out at the outdoors gym in Lumphini Park that is worth checking out on the morning walks:goodjob:Ā 

I'm unsure if the situation is deteriorating, but it seems that every street I turn onto is plagued with the sight of giant rats. This issue has become increasingly nauseating and even causes me a sense of paranoia as I navigate the area. Despite my attempts to avoid looking down by keeping my gaze straight ahead, I still catch glimpses of them scurrying around in my peripheral vision. I must admit, hygiene-related issues easily unsettle me. Is the problem just as severe in the Sukhumvit and river areas? I'm considering choosing a different location than Silom for my next visit. šŸ€ šŸ¤¢Ā 

On 7/29/2023 at 12:29 PM, vinapu said:

ButĀ  like animals so just were carefull not to step on one.

I like animals too, but for some reason I canā€™t seem to get myself to think of a rat as a likable animal. I feel a sense of relief when I see stray cats walking the streets hoping they will murder the rats.Ā