ichigo

Korat?

A boy who I met some years ago in Jomtien suggested I go visit him in Korat on my next trip. I told him that it is too far, but now I'm wondering maybe I can take an overnight trip to have a look around the area as I've never been there before. Has anyone been recently? Is there much up there tourism wise? It only takes about 4 hours to get there on the train from Bangkok.

I've not been to Korat.  What I know of it comes from my brother who was stationed there as a pilot during the Vietnam War, and from a gay friend of mine who was a military chaplain who had duty there.  I'm wondering, given the American soldiers that were stationed there and the sex many of them would have had with local women, if there's any physical appearances amongst local population suggesting some mixed blood from back in the day.

9 hours ago, Mavica said:

I'm wondering, given the American soldiers that were stationed there and the sex many of them would have had with local women, if there's any physical appearances amongst local population suggesting some mixed blood from back in the day.

yes and some of the boys from such mixed blood made their way to Bangkok bars and spas, both whiter and much darker than regular Thais

12 hours ago, Mavica said:

I've not been to Korat.  What I know of it comes from my brother who was stationed there as a pilot during the Vietnam War, and from a gay friend of mine who was a military chaplain who had duty there.  I'm wondering, given the American soldiers that were stationed there and the sex many of them would have had with local women, if there's any physical appearances amongst local population suggesting some mixed blood from back in the day.

If you’d like to pursue this, read John Burdett’s Bangkok 8 and his over novels set in the big mango. 

I travel solo in Isaan (1989 - 1993 and 2021), going to Nongkhai, Buenkran, etcetera.. Isaan have change a lot, shopping centers have kills many mum & pop businesses. As I do not have any expectation or agenda, it was ok (have car).

Korat / Nakhon Ratchasima is definitely a huge city, overwhelming if you just want to browse it..  

As a tourist I will give a miss, as a pickup place I cannot comment: I was visiting a friend (Priest) and as a fine atheist I contributed (financially) to decorate his church for Christmas (Makro).

Look around” hummm, my suggestion will be get a guy as a tour guide, get a car and spend two night there and see.

In Khorat you could pay a visit to the Nakkarat massage place which was formerly in Bangkok, Silom Rd. They have now both girls and boys as therapists.

Have a look at their Facebook page

There was a boys club in town but it closed many years ago. 

As a tourist, you could hire a driver for a day trip to Phanom Rung temple which is really impressive. Phimai is also a place to consider and much closer.

10 hours ago, llz said:

it is called Boy Spa

I hope it is worth a visit, but I'm wondering because on their Facebook page they have plenty of photos of the facility, but not even one photo of any boys, or any other humans for that matter.  If anyone goes, please let us know what is actually on offer there, along with the prices.

The Facebook page of the Nakkarat massage shows loads of photos of the staff, but it appears to me to be a "legitimate" massage shop - no other types of service available, but I have a feeling if you see a boy you like and make an arrangement for him to pay a little visit to your hotel during his non-working hours, he may have a pleasant surprise for you . . .

As for me, if I am in Korat and looking for a willing young gent, I'll be sticking to the apps and/or finding someone on my own.  Speaking only for myself, I doubt going to a spa in Korat will result in what I am most likely to be looking for.

15 hours ago, llz said:

In Khorat you could pay a visit to the Nakkarat massage place which was formerly in Bangkok, Silom Rd. They have now both girls and boys as therapists.

Have a look at their Facebook page

There was a boys club in town but it closed many years ago. 

As a tourist, you could hire a driver for a day trip to Phanom Rung temple which is really impressive. Phimai is also a place to consider and much closer.

Ooo thank you!

I did the Phanon Rung trip from Korat about 15 years ago in company with a friend and our Thai boyfriends, both of whom came from the area. It’s a rather impressive ancient ruined temple complex. We got to the site by taxi and after making a self-guided tour we found there was no hotel accommodation nearby, necessitating a return to Korat in the back of a local’s pickup truck. 

On 10/16/2023 at 9:47 AM, simcity said:

my suggestion will be get a guy as a tour guide, get a car and spend two night there and see.

I would be vary. In my experience, even though they are locals, they don't know the places I'm interested in. And now, after years of experience, I can organize a trip cheaper and faster than relying on local contacts.