revengeboo

My First Time in Bangkok - November 2023 Trip Report

2 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

To argue that just because someone comes from the West, he shouldn't care about what is being charged (even when being cheated) is to fail to make an intelligent distinction between (1) and (2). First of all, not everyone in the West, or coming from the West is wealthy. Secondly, to say, we shouldn't care if we're being cheated because we are richer than Thais is in fact a form of boastfulness ("It doesn't bother me even if you cheat me, because I am so, so much richer than you!"), and that's not a pretty sight either. It's also the kind of thing that feeds into the stereotype of the Ugly American (or whatever nationality). It does everybody else of the same nationality a disservice.

I've traveled to and lived in Southeast Asia for many decades. I know exactly how things work -- even in the sex tourism industry. I've seen what it once was and what it's become today.

Still, it's not "boastfulness" to want to be a somewhat equitable human being when in Asia. Sex tourists have the reputation of Ugly American for a very good reason -- no matter how many massage parlors and go-go bars you visit and how many sex workers you've "had" or "offed."

Claiming to be "cheated" as if you're at Harrod's or Macy's is simply laughable when we're talking about such small amounts in our tourist pocketbooks -- wealthy or not. 

It probably feels cool to be a such a shameless expert in the industry that you classify it according to detailed metrics about massages, parlors, and "codes" for every aspect of a human body. 

But it's still the sex industry, and it is correctly viewed as ugly. The fact that it exists because of supply and demand doesn't make it a noble enterprise. Yes, most of us take part in it to some degree. We don't have to make each encounter seem like it's an example of a "contract" as described in a microeconomics textbook. 

So if a newcomer like @revengeboo wants to pay what he wants, nobody needs to call him out on it. He'll figure things out just as you did -- but hopefully not to such an ugly extreme.

Well I don't agree that sex work is "ugly".  I think the quote from Peaky Blinder sums it up perfectly --

"Everyone's a whore, Grace.  We just sell different parts of ourselves."

The world may be a better place if more people were willing to buy and sell sex, affection, and companionship than guns, drugs and hate. 

However, I can agree that the sex industry is very loosely regulated so whatever verbal contracts, codes and customs should be taken with a great deal of caution for both the buyer and seller.  Because there is no Better Business Bureau or Yelp to go running off to and perhaps not even the police if things go sideways.  Buyer beware; your mileage may vary; sold the cow, but forgot to ask for the money; hope deferred...

56 minutes ago, revengeboo said:

perhaps not even the police if things go sideways. 

I did hear story from a Singapore acquaintance who was a policeman, so it's an inside story. A transgender sex worker was not paid for her services. When she protested, the John assaulted her, no serious injuries though. She ran to a police station, and a few constables were assigned to help her find the assailant. Amazingly they found him having a beer in some cheap shop, and he was brought back to the police station. 

The police were in no position to press charges over non payment but she could press charges over the assault. Basically, the policemen told the John to pay up + compensation for her medical treatment, and she might then consider not pressing charges. The John complied. So, in effect, the police helped her to collect payment.

And this was in Singapore. Come to think of it, I guess it isn't so strange a tale from a city famous for law and order.

Edited by macaroni21
Spelling mistakes

I am amazed by the volume of content I have to share regarding my Bangkok experience. Initially, I intended to document these observations during my visit; however, as probably understood, my time was fully engaged. Nonetheless, the impact of the memories is so profound that recounting these detours, mishaps, experiences, and fortunes feels as effortless as if I were a whored up J.K. Rowling diving in to finish the saga.  I'll need some grace for making a few mistakes but much of the trip still vividly rings in my brain! 🥰 It's slowing down, the first couple of days were barnburners.

1 hour ago, revengeboo said:

The journey back to Bangkok was generally unremarkable, except for a peculiar instance when the Grab driver stopped to refuel. The cost was surprisingly low, I remember calculating to $0.25 per gallon compared to my hometown where it is about $5.00. Yikes, and it was a full-service station - can this be real?!

Alas no! I hesitate to comment on what is a marvellously written account of your trip to Thailand. But I I'd suggest your conversion rates are incorrect. Thailand works in litres (which you may well have factored in) and one litre is somewhere in the region of US$1.25 for gas - somewhat less for gasohol and so it depends on the vehicle. By my reckoning that makes roughly US$4.70 per gallon of gas.

4 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

But it's still the sex industry, and it is correctly viewed as ugly. The fact that it exists because of supply and demand doesn't make it a noble enterprise.

So if a newcomer like @revengeboo wants to pay what he wants, nobody needs to call him out on it. He'll figure things out just as you did -- but hopefully not to such an ugly extreme.

I see a scattershot response that does not engage with the issue at hand - which is that of overcharging by businesses through unethical practices ( not a supply and demand issue) though fortunately, it did not occur in this instance.

At no time was the question of what revengeboo was willing to pay the issue, and no one was calling him out on that - which is how you're changing the discussion. The uncertainty, which has since been resolved, was whether he was asked to pay more than he had agreed to pay. That you're conflating the two scenarios is what I mean by a scattershot response.

Scattershot responses that go off tangent generally indicate that the debate has been lost.

It's also disappointing to see a hint of contempt for those in the sex business. Why can't it be a "noble enterprise"?

As much as we hold ourselves to high standards of ethics and integrity in our dealings with others, why do we expect less of those running sex businesses or sex workers themselves? When we say we shouldn't be concerned if they cheat because we are rich, it really amounts to the view that they cannot be as worthy as us, cannot be held to the same standards of honesty and integrity as us, simply because they are poorer.

What has honesty to do with wealth?

One may think one is being generous to overlook the loss when the other party engages in deception, but in fact such an attitude is a mark of disrespect and contempt ("they cannot be expected to be my equal in terms of honour and integrity").

On the contrary, it is precisely my holding those in the sex business to the same high standard which demonstrates my respect for them as equal humans.

18 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Boo, I posted my comment in direct response to the chronic complainer and know-it-all @Department_Of_Agriculture , who posted a lengthy comment ore than 24 hours ago. He had chastised you for paying too much! And you reacted to his post in the same way I did! 😎

What a strange and silly little comment this is.

In my earlier - and only other - post on this thread, I did not even mention the price he had paid, let alone chastise him for overpaying. I am all in favour of "overpaying" rather than underpaying.

The "overpaying" comment that you are referring to came from @macaroni21 which you responded to further up on this page.

In any event, the question of @revengeboo overpaying hardly arises given that he did not pay the boy anything at all. Having got what he asked for - literally asked for - he then paid the boy nothing because he was dissatisfied with the way the boy was banging him. To quote his own words:

"So needless to say, no tip, and  - 1 out of 5 stars, cannot recommend them until they get better on-the-job training, hiring orientation, and customer service."

This "chronic complainer" did not chastise the self-righteous, entitled, sex tourist for overpaying; I lambasted him for not paying the boy at all.

5 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

I see a scattershot response...

Scattershot responses that go off tangent generally indicate that the debate has been lost.

This is the standard comeback when others respond by saying things that a poster doesn't like.

FYI... Tangents are allowed in these forums. There's nothing in the rules/guidelines that prohibit them. People do it here all the time. And when someone responds with structured paragraphs that are connected, it's not at all "scattershot." 😇 

But did I go off on a tangent? No. I simply brought up some related details that offended you. 😘

17 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

It's also disappointing to see a hint of contempt for those in the sex business. Why can't it be a "noble enterprise"?

As for "scattershot", I certainly can not agree. In most cases they broaden the discussion which can create longer and often more interesting threads. Not always, but on a good few occasions.

And as for "contempt", if anyone suggests in their wording contempt, even if that is not quite what they mean, this is surely understandable given cultural and historical precedence. Think back only a few decades and the prevalence of words like prostitute, faggot, queer, poof, fairy, fruitcake, nancy boy . . . these and many other descriptions were both widely held and frequently used.  My father was a very understanding and compassionate doctor, but even he referred to one of the middle-aged men who worked in the local pharmacy as "one of those!" In 1979 Tenessee Williams was attacked by a gang of 5 teenagers in Key West following remarks in an anti-gay newspaper run by a Baptist minister. In 1998 Matthew West was brutally murdered coming out of a gay bar.

In Sydney 88 men were murdered for being gay by anti-gay youth gangs in Sydney between 1970 and 2010. Some of the perpetrators were as young as 12.

The stigma that gay sex bore for generations can not be wiped out in a year or two. And the additional stigma borne by those who ran gay establishments and in essence were "pimps" is even harder to change. But then I do agree that in a forum such as this, every poster should make every effort not to go by historical precedence.

From Wikipedia

On the night of October 6, 1998, Shepard was approached by Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson at the Fireside Lounge in Laramie; all three men were in their early 20s. McKinney and Henderson offered to give Shepard a ride home. They subsequently drove to a remote rural area and proceeded to rob, pistol-whip, and torture Shepard, tying him to a split rail fence and leaving him to die.

Matthew_Shepard.jpg.cd0547eb40249557b2fbdce49d6da4e3.jpg

R.I.P.

• Members
On 12/12/2023 at 6:17 AM, revengeboo said:

It's important to acknowledge that throughout this trip, I've been both happy and impressed with the consistent use of condoms by the MBs and even the guys at Sauna Mania. While I hadn’t used condoms for all my activities during this trip, I did for the majority. Additionally, I'd taken proactive steps for my sexual health by consulting with my doctor ahead of this "sexcation". I was prescribed DoxyPep to guard against bacterial STIs and have been on PrEP as a preventative measure against HIV.  It's a responsible choice that I value and am glad that sex workers are protecting themselves.

Never heard of DoxyPep, had to google that it indeed can prevent bacterial STI infections.  Currently not on NHS in UK.  Thanks for the education.

On 12/11/2023 at 10:10 PM, revengeboo said:

I am still salty over that 100 baht unauthorized tip to the attendant. 😇

best way to avoid that and any other unauthorized charges is to stock up on change and pay exactly what is due.

It does happen occasionally that change is not coming forward , specially in bars and I learned that lesson long time ago. On another hand is not that frequent so we can treat as extra tuition fee for bar hopping course.