Asian traveller

Trip Report: Bangkok

9 hours ago, Asian traveller said:

As such, I just whipped out my credit card to splash out on the 12k THB. They didn’t want cash for some reason. 

I advised I wasn’t able to send as a tourist but they said go to a 7-11 to send the money. Going into the 7-11 they just pointed me to a bank. After 15 min wait in the bank line, I finally managed to make the transfer but in hindsight it was quite the hassle

I had promised 3000 THB but given I was so satisfied I gave him 4000 THB.

I thanked him again and gave him 5000 THB this time

We jumped into a normal taxi and the driver, obviously knowing I was in no position to haggle, said it would be 300 THB to get back to central. A 10 min ride but to be frank, I didn’t really care.

I often wonder when I hear boys, touts, taxi drivers talk about stories like this, who the fuck does this stuff....🙄

one of the first (and few) things he said me was that there are better and cheaper massage places to go to

Ummmm, yeah. And you've been reading this message board and have to hear it from a massage boy in BKK too?

I’m not sure when I’ll be back again, perhaps a number of years time

in the meantime, you've raised the bar to a point that is deceptional to many workers,  giving them hope that there are more of us willing to pay those prices...

Even with my shitty comments, was a well written post 😆

16 hours ago, Asian traveller said:

I was then told that the person I had booked was only available via the ‘Superboy’ package, whether this is true or not I don’t know but by now I was fully invested having spent 20 mins walking up and down the street looking for the place. I was told that this would cost 6000 THB including tip – steep I know but I’m on vacation so decided to assume that at that price, there must be some quality to it…. But wait, the soften the blow of the 6000 THB cost, there was a 3 for 2 offer.

Thank you for sharing this. Definitely ill avoid this place. Not only it is steep, not mentioning this early on when you made the booking is really sketchy and sounds like a standard bait and switch scam. 

17 hours ago, Asian traveller said:

On exit, I paid him a tip. I had promised 3000 THB but given I was so satisfied I gave him 4000 THB. He tried to hide his expression but he eye contact with his colleague told me enough to see that he was happy. While I know some may disagree with over paying tips, for me the extra is not material and I’m happy to pay for something I value and if it makes others happier still, then that’s a bonus.

Thank you for your detailed report. I think the best advice you could receive was supplied (above) by Macaroni21: remain in the Silom/Surawong area for short stays like you had. Everything you need to satisfy your curiosity is right there for the taking. Travel time between venues is measured in minutes.

Thanks for your detailed post. You are obviously a very generous person.

I found at Zoo that I had to be a bit more aggressive than I would normally be to get what I wanted. Although the first boy I saw there provided B2B massage as part of the package and I got what I wanted out of that encounter. I will agree that things there are a bit more trouble that it's worth. They do have a lot of pretty boys who cycle in and out of their stable though.

For those of you (us) who fret over the demise of "the gay scene", now you know the answer There is a cohort of visitors who are willing to splash money around as if they are in Kirk Straat or Berlin, paying 5x or more the going rate, and creating the illusion among venue owners and staff that there is another flight arriving tonight with a plane full of overspenders. The OP's post felt as ludicrous to me as would be a post from a first time visitor to Amsterdam offering the trade 30 euros.

Be generous, be kind, be human but this kind of outrageous extravagance strikes me as both pretentious and boastful. And this comes from one who lights his cigarettes with 100 euro notes. Not.

Overpaying is not guarantee for be better service in the contrary most of the times the sex workers will participate the overspender as foolish and naive and the service will be Bellow the normal standard. From my experience in Thailand overpaid is considered as weakness and not generousity by the locals.

Thanks all for your comments,

When writing my report I knew that there would definitely lessons to be learnt plus differing views.

On this trip, I was definitely cash rich (by Thailand standards) / time poor on this trip which really affected some of my decision making.

The Zoo experience was definitely money down the drain which I shall not be repeating although I would never rule out the draw of some eye candy to pollute the thinking side of my brain.

I recognise that tipping more than the minimum can cause some controversy although in that regard I’m comfortable with my decision even though not all will agree. I respect your view points but for me, it’s more about 1) I was very happy with the service and I believe in paying for what I recognise as good service… especially relative to the duds at Zoo and 2) If I wanted to be remembered (and connections via Instagram probably prove that) then standing out from the crowd probably has some intangible benefits.

Overall, I loved my trip to Thailand but not sure when the next opportunity will be to return. As such, it was about maximising what I could in the few days I was there.

In the meantime I’m just going to have to live intravenously via your forum posts and trip reports :) 

On 12/11/2023 at 1:58 AM, Asian traveller said:

Arrival

Priority queues for business class immigration seemed to have been removed but managed to get into a newly opened short line at immigration.

Just for information of other travellers, the Priority Lane still exists at BKK. It has been moved but only around 50 meters to the East. Certain categories automatically get free use of the service, including those over 70, APEC Business Travel card holders, Thailand Elite members and others - see photo. Although it states that FIrst and Business Class travellers gain access, I have found in the past this is not true for every airline, especially the budget ones with a premium class since they have to pay for their passengrs to use fast Track. Legacy carriers have no problem. Best to double check in advance.

Screenshot2023-12-12at15_47_36.thumb.png.b44ce50a5402c0449f4d8ea40a57eced.png

11 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

Just for information of other travellers, the Priority Lane still exists at BKK. It has been moved but only around 50 meters to the East. Certain categories automatically get free use of the service, including those over 70, APEC Business Travel card holders, Thailand Elite members and others - see photo. Although it states that FIrst and Business Class travellers gain access, I have found in the past this is not true for every airline, especially the budget ones with a premium class since they have to pay for their passengrs to use fast Track. Legacy carriers have no problem. Best to double check in advance.

Screenshot2023-12-12at15_47_36.thumb.png.b44ce50a5402c0449f4d8ea40a57eced.png

Thanks, when I was in the main immigration hall it didn't sign post that the business class was permitted so I just joined the main line. Good to know for the future - worth a try at least.

On 12/11/2023 at 11:10 AM, floridarob said:

in the meantime, you've raised the bar to a point that is deceptional to many workers,  giving them hope that there are more of us willing to pay those prices..😆

With this I cannot agree. I am certain there are some other big tippers out there who happily spash the level of cash which makes most posters and readers here wince. I remember a middle-aged Thai in one of the Twilight bars at least 10 years ago hand out literally handfuls - yes, handfuls - of 100 baht bills to many of the boys as though there were lots more where these came from. Indeed, I always had the feeling the few Thai customers who by that time continued to patronise the bars paid better than farang. Equally, though, as we know, there are the stingy lot who will always give as little as possible and then complain that anyoe paying more is distorting the 'market'!. 

Does anyone tip as much in the go-go bars as the Chinese/Japanese ladies who all but throw 1,000 baht bills at the handsome guys on the Moonlight runway? And that's just in the bar. In my many bar hopping years, I never knew what the rate was or even if there was a rate. Never once did i ask a mamazan. I gave what I felt reasonable and it was always accepted with a smile - except just once with a boy from Screwboy who had the cheek to ask for 500 baht more. Given what i already handed over, that indeed was cheek! He didn't get it!

19 minutes ago, Asian traveller said:

Thanks, when I was in the main immigration hall it didn't sign post that the business class was permitted so I just joined the main line. Good to know for the future - worth a try at least.

Unfortunately it is not actually in either of the two Immigration Halls. It is between the two.

On Fast Track- Since I'm in the 70+ group, I've found that this always works well for us seniors. Take advantage of the benefit.

On tipping massage boys -- The only shops outside of Silom that I regularly use are in Saphan Kwai where most shops have an 800-1,000 minimum tip. If I receive what I consider very satisfactory service I add 200 (especially if they shower after with me). Have never had anyone in SK ask for more. I generally follow the same policy in shops with no minimum. I believe superior service should be rewarded.

On big spenders -- It was just a dozen days ago when I witnesed just how much some Asian women can distribute. One young lady was celebrating her birthday with some friends at Hot Male beer bar and I understand her liquor tab alone was about 5k. The waiters joined in the festivities and were well tipped.  There are also regular male customers who'll off a few waiters just to sit with him and drink. Others take a few off for dancing or karaoke. It comes down to what the customers enjoys and can afford. For you Jupiter regulars, such stuff is commonplace.

The spontaneous behavior is another reason the bars offer opportunity that the apps cannot do at the spur of the moment. Reservations not required.

On 12/11/2023 at 2:58 AM, Asian traveller said:

I’m not sure when I’ll be back again, perhaps a number of years time but I shall, forever have fond memories.

Thanks for trip report. Appreciate your openness and honesty in sharing your experiences. Don't wait until many years later. Go back to Bangkok next year!