Lucky

Bangkok Most Popular Tourist Destination

• Members

The February Costco Connection magazine reports that a survey by TravelMedium.com gives Bangkok the award as the most popular tourist destination in the world!

Now, I am a big fan of Bangkok, but I would think that Paris might top it. There definitely is a lot of competition. Of course, most people haven't gone anywhere lately!

I'd love to know who they polled. For almost the entire year, there were very few visitors to Bangkok!

I note that the Costco magazine (a link would have been helpful!) quotes Travelmedium.com. I was at least able to check that site and can find nowhere  a mention of Bangkok being the most popular tourist destination. It has 210 articles but a large number seem based on Scotland! For example,

- Are there Bears in Scotland?

- Why are the no Trees in Scotland? (WHAT???)

- What is England Famous for?

Others include -

- The 12 most beautiful Bridges in Paris

- What is a Domestic Flight?

Seems like one of these travel sites put together by one person in an attic hoping to get noticed!

I also noted that in terms of visitor numbers, the site quotes figures pre-covid. 

5 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Seems like one of these travel sites put together by one person in an attic hoping to get noticed!

Many websites seem to have the sole objective of attracting readers so that they can raise revenue from advertising links.   Little details like accuracy or up to date information don't matter, as the objectives are short term and not about creating a brand and a long term reputation for credibility.

• Members
11 hours ago, spoon said:

Cheap hotel, cheap food, very reasonable luxuries. Im not surprise bangkok is top. 

Nice people, the knowledge that I have gone somewhere different, the history, the art, the ambiance. These are my main reasons to go.

• Members
9 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I'd love to know who they polled. For almost the entire year, there were very few visitors to Bangkok!

I note that the Costco magazine (a link would have been helpful!) quotes Travelmedium.com. I was at least able to check that site and can find nowhere  a mention of Bangkok being the most popular tourist destination. It has 210 articles but a large number seem based on Scotland! For example,

- Are there Bears in Scotland?

- Why are the no Trees in Scotland? (WHAT???)

- What is England Famous for?

Others include -

- The 12 most beautiful Bridges in Paris

- What is a Domestic Flight?

I also noted that in terms of visitor numbers, the site quotes figures pre-covid. 

I also looked for the poll, but didn't want to go deep into the site. A flaw in the Costco link is that they did not give a date for the survey...or actually any other info. Take it with a grain of salt, but I'll bet that the Bangkok Chamber of Commerce is adding more than salt!

I have love & hate relationship with Bangkok. i love the cheap luxurious hotels, the excellent shopping malls ,the vibrant nightlife and the tourist attractions But I hate the air pollution ,the heavy traffic and the crowding so usually I stay no more then 3 nights and then horribly escape to nearby Pattaya . LOL .

The main reason I go to Bangkok is because I've got a regular guy I spend time with, both in and out of bed. I also love the shopping and restaurants at Siam Paragon but other shopping opportunities are limited. Historical sites are also few and far between and once you've visited them there's nowhere else in town to see.

Also, there aren't many interesting day trips from Bangkok, (touristy floating market, anyone?)

I love Paris but Tokyo is tops for me. It is never, ever boring.  It's got just about everything I could ever want, although the sex is much more expensive and the cocks do not measure up to the Thai guys. 

You can't have everything.

• Members

Bangkok has a bewildering range of 5 star hotels and they are fantastic value. On my last visit I stayed at an older hotel, Plaza Athenee, recently renovated and very luxurious with a magnificent  lagoon size swimming pool. Bangkok has my favourite restaurant in the world, Le Normandie at the Oriental. Very expensive but an all round magnificent experience. Service incredible. 

Bangkok, I can’t wait to return!