CallMeLee

First Trip Report: Bangkok September 2023

15 hours ago, CallMeLee said:

With Ghanaian guy using the extra towel last night, I went fiddling through the drawer looking for some fresh towels

He's a dead ringer/doppleganger of my first highschool crush who's also my best friend. The resemblance including the height, built, dimples, playful demeanor is just uncanny.

good your brought valid point - towels problem which may arise if we entertain more than one guest per day. In some hotels is easy to get extra one , some  may charge for the privilege ( I think Raya does) but definitely we need to take it into consideration. Few times I resorted even to going to the market and buying one or taking extra one from home. Got my lesson few trips ago when Grindr guy visiting in day time was bit offended when I presented him with towel which was obviously used previously (by me).

In Senso used to me guy nicked M, we had great chemistry and on top of his good looks and excellent massage skills I liked him for exactly the same reason, he reminded me , including voice, my childhood friend ( just friend )  

For future reference, BTS should take you less than half-hour, regardless of time of day, between Sala Daeng and Saphan Kwai.

Kudos for K-Man but can also recommend One Spa (about a 15-miute walk from station) on nearby Sutthisan Winitchai Road. Further down same road you'll find KK Massage which is associated with K-Man.

40 minutes ago, CallMeLee said:

Given my general lack of sense of direction, I decided to take a grab taxi which, given that it's non peak hours, only cost 130 baht. I am running out of funds so I set the drop off to Saphan Kwai station. Halfway there, it started to rain  like crazy I started to worry ill get soaked. Luckily, the rain stopped a few minutes before we arrived. I immediately scanned the area and can't find any bank or ATM machine nearby. I tried my luck climbing up the station hoping there's a machine and there it was.

The choice is whether you want the transaction done in the local currency or in your home currency. If you choose your home currency, the bank that runs the ATM or Card terminal will charge their exchange fees for doing the currency conversion.

Generally its better to chose local currency, especially so if you have a debit/credit card that charges 0% fees on foriegn transactions. (Usually you are just charged the mastercard/visa transaction fee)

You might find it cheaper to have it done in your home currency if you have an exceptionally high fee % on your card for foriegn transactions.

15 hours ago, CallMeLee said:

Before dispensing cash, this particular ATM machine quotes an exchange rate and asks you to confirm if you accept it. I usually press "no" and from experience, my online banking statement looks like I  saved around 25 to 30 USD from my 10k baht withdrawal. Not an expert so I can't explain why.

You did right thing. If you answer yes they will use so called  "dynamic exchange rate" which is less favorable for you . You decline , your bank will use their exchange rate and you end up paying bit less for your amount of foreign currency . The same applies when purchase is done by credit card , always decline conversion to your currency and get charged  in local one, be it baht , tala or taka

On 9/21/2023 at 11:30 PM, vinapu said:

good your brought valid point - towels problem which may arise if we entertain more than one guest per day. In some hotels is easy to get extra one , some  may charge for the privilege ( I think Raya does) but definitely we need to take it into consideration. Few times I resorted even to going to the market and buying one or taking extra one from home. Got my lesson few trips ago when Grindr guy visiting in day time was bit offended when I presented him with towel which was obviously used previously (by me).

In Senso used to me guy nicked M, we had great chemistry and on top of his good looks and excellent massage skills I liked him for exactly the same reason, he reminded me , including voice, my childhood friend ( just friend )  

One advantage of Le Meredien is plenty of towels. 4 bath towels in room!

• Members
On 9/21/2023 at 5:30 AM, CallMeLee said:

Day 3

I asked him if we could buy something to eat first before going up. He said yes but I guess it took a while for him to understand given the bewildered look on his face when I started walking towards the street.

1.  I don't enjoy sex right after a meal.

2. You could have brought him to your room and ordered room service in the comfort and convenience of your hotel room.

5 hours ago, CallMeLee said:

....this reinforces the fact that the massage shops in Saphan Kwai area are more targeted towards the locals?

definitely correct and minimum tips as well as massage fees are reflecting that.  But everybody is welcomed and usually there's somebody who speaks bit of English so no reason to skip  visiting those shops

4 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Exchanging cash in TH is still the most economic option

Withdrawing cash from ATM, adding Thai ATM fee, conversion rate of my local bank (3% less than bank interchange rate) plus fees of my local bank, means about 5% loss to bank interchange rate. Exchanging cash in TH gives you below 1% loss

fully agree, I only use ATM when my cash inevitably runs out toward end of trip . Even then I try to withdrew 20000 or 25 000 if machine allows  to reduce impact of those fees ( 220 in Thailand and 125 here per withdrawal ).

I can also buy baht here locally and rate works to about the same I'd be exchanging money in the airport before customs ( better rates at train station but those booths are closing at night and often most pressing need after arrival is money for taxi.

1 hour ago, Keithambrose said:

One advantage of Le Meredien is plenty of towels. 4 bath towels in room!

22 minutes ago, 10tazione said:

that explains the room rate!

good to know although for me staying in say, Baan Silom probably will be still more economical to buy 1-2 towels a day and threw them out.

On another hand I'm tempted to try Meridien after so many good feedbacks, Most trip I like to treat myself with 1-2 night in multistar shack or big room in cheaper one. My soft spot are spacious rooms. 

15 minutes ago, Tomtravel said:

We should think about sustainable consumption, Thai waste management system has long way to go and waste reduction helps a lot.🏊🏽‍♂️

while you are right, throwing towels out doesn't mean rubbish bean. Leave them on the rack and after we vacate  room I'm sure room service finds home for them.