Bipaulm

Advice please

7 hours ago, Draden said:

Don't over think your first visit.  Just trust your instincts and enjoy what the city has to offer.

3. Does anyone have experience with OneSpa? Most of my experience has been in Japan where they have browsable and bookable websites, so I kinda found that aspect of OneSpa appealing, but haven't seen much in reviews about them. Read the thread in this forum Massage shops on Sutthisan Winitchai Rd

4. I've seen it recommended that you check IDs. Does that hold true for massage parlors, too? I don't have any issue doing that, just don't want to seem weird if this isn't customary because masseurs are already vetted or something. You're ultimately responsible

5. When a Thai guy indicates he's Vers does that really mean he's a Top and is just trying to expand his possible customer base and - when you get down to it - he's not gonna be interested in receiving? Or do they usually mean what they say? You won't find any problem finding tops in Bangkok

6. When a "minimum tip" is listed, what is the usual "actual" tip you should leave for good service? Say there's a "minimum tip" of 1200 baht but the service is good, what would be the expectation for "actual" tip? Like in a restaurant: if the service is exceptional so should be the tip.

7 hours ago, Draden said:

Thanks, very helpful! (Not to sound super-weird or anything, but I do have a slight aversion to tattoos of any kind. But maybe this is just an opportunity to get over this affectation - ha!)

Hopefully you will. 🙂

10 hours ago, Draden said:

4. I've seen it recommended that you check IDs. Does that hold true for massage parlors, too? I don't have any issue doing that, just don't want to seem weird if this isn't customary because masseurs are already vetted or something. 

In all the times I've brought guys back to my hotel room, never had their IDs checked by the receptionist at the hotel. I've heard some hotels (e.g. Tarntawan) might have that policy in place but most probably don't.

10 hours ago, Draden said:

2. Curious - what is the preference people have for hotels over AirBNBs? 

I think this differs between individuals but for me, a hotel is my preference when it comes to Thailand mainly because the rates are about the same with (or sometimes better than) AirBnBs, and you'd generally get better service at a hotel (e.g. breakfast, daily room cleaning, etc.). 

1 hour ago, Shax said:

In all the times I've brought guys back to my hotel room, never had their IDs checked by the receptionist at the hotel. I've heard some hotels (e.g. Tarntawan) might have that policy in place but most probably don't.

I think this differs between individuals but for me, a hotel is my preference when it comes to Thailand mainly because the rates are about the same with (or sometimes better than) AirBnBs, and you'd generally get better service at a hotel (e.g. breakfast, daily room cleaning, etc.). 

I would agree with that!

2 hours ago, floridarob said:

Glad I've blocked/ignored marc in calif, he's the king of the downvote on good replies.....I suggest doing the same to block a shithead like him out of your life 😉

I blocked him ages ago .

I have no interest in American politics 

12 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

6.  More often than not, they deserve no more than the minimum. When I think they're better than average, I may add 10 - 20%. When I am over the moon (which is rare), I may add 30%. I suspect many posters on this forum are shocked that I am giving farangs a bad name by not throwing money around (isn't the superior sahib supposed to do that when meeting the destitute natives?)

I'm bit surprised by that statement. As I said above , based on my experience , minimum tip is what they expect unless they in no uncertain terms ask for more .

adding 10-20% ie 100 or 200 baht is pretty generous.

Boys are as much used to stingy as to money thrower farangs, I don't think they would consider one who tips stated minimum stingy though.

At end of day is up to client to see  how much is deserved. Service may be poor but feel good factor may be tip determining factor.

• Members

Draden’s 3rd question posed above: 

My observations on Airbnb:

Where possible, I often take Airbnb lodgings particularly for longer trips. This winter I booked 30 nights in a large one-bedroom apartment. It was decent, well-managed, excellent location easily walkable to the Silom/Surawong area action. I also took a nice hotel room for the trip for entertaining without any valuable belongings to worry about, with bottomless towel supply options, and without dealing with the impossibility of sleeping with the usual paper-thin walls and constant inconsiderate slamming of doors that typically occurs in hotels.

There would not have been a problem bringing guests, within reason, to the Airbnb condo. My “trainer” came up a few times. I don’t do overnights with guests. 

I was to check in on the 4th day as I technically needed 27 nights but I aligned with the one-month guideline. There is a lengthy thread here from around March 2023 on this subject.

The “Superhosts” objected to the add-on because they thought it was unfair and unnecessary. Their point was that it’s up to me but they preferred to not take the extra fee needlessly. I had raised my concerns regarding lodgings regulations and they proclaimed that they were not operating outside of guidelines. Most of the many stellar reviews appeared to be short period stays. They capitulated to my insistence.

There were no hassles whatsoever. Key pickup was from the reception staff and there was no prohibitive sign anywhere. I needed a few minor items for the kitchen and the hosts ordered them online and communicated with reception for delivery and pickup. Reception clearly knew I was a farang. I had even printed off the contract in case airport immigration were to have grilled me but it was stamp-and-go. 

The building had a few shops in the lobby. Other buildings in the area were similarly structured with mini-malls and some had Airbnb logo signs prominently displayed.

In October the national Hotel Act regulations were revised. A lot of dwellings qualify for hotel licensing exemption and hosts can apply formally using an online form. The room threshold was lifted from 4 to 8. The examples include villas, tents, rafts, and shipping containers. (Note that shipping containers were part of Qatar’s World Cup accommodations options). Condo apartments are neither listed as an example nor excluded. Clearly the aim is greater flexibility.

Some cities globally require that hosts must reside in the unit as a principal residence and only let their unit when they are willing and able to vacate it. Such a stipulation does not exist in Thailand.

My sense is that condominium directorship boards can nevertheless trump the above workaround and behave as a separate entity to restrict short-term rentals. My advice, then, is to clarify with an Airbnb host that they are not operating under the radar … that they have formally sought and obtained permission for the hotel license exemption, that the building has not imposed restrictions, and that they are operating within any requirements regarding  lodgings inspection, income subject to tax, VAT obligations, etc. 

Question - so the week I'm going to be in Bangkok is because I'll be in Asia anyway. I don't think I'm quite as experienced with MBs as some others here so was hoping to get an idea as to whether my time would be better spent there or if I should try Japan or Taiwan instead (my only other two experiences with MBs). 

I notice some of the trip reports involve negotiations, hits and misses, guys who are unwilling to bottom, etc. I regret I may not be as much of an amorist or socializer as some of the others here and am primarily interested in ST interactions that just get "down to business" so to speak with a guaranteed - or at least high - rate of return. My previous trip to Japan and its brothels you knew precisely what you were going to get when you walked into the room. Will it be significantly different in Bangkok, specifically with massage parlors? 

Sorry, in advance, for chilling the vibe with my aromantic personality! (But many thanks, in advance, for any advice.) 

That was maybe unnecessarily vague. At the risk of being crude, maybe I can phrase this as an equation ... say I have an extremely strong preference for bottoms in their 20s-early 30s without tattoos (or only lightly tattooed) who are 170CM or less in height. If I were to take four trips to BKK massage parlors looking for full service extras that fit that criteria, what percent could I expect to find something like that would you think? 

(Hopefully I threaded the needle correctly between vagueness and graphicness in this one. And hopefully I'm not coming across as some kind of sociopath!)

1 hour ago, Draden said:

That was maybe unnecessarily vague. At the risk of being crude, maybe I can phrase this as an equation ... say I have an extremely strong preference for bottoms in their 20s-early 30s without tattoos (or only lightly tattooed) who are 170CM or less in height. If I were to take four trips to BKK massage parlors looking for full service extras that fit that criteria, what percent could I expect to find something like that would you think? 

(Hopefully I threaded the needle correctly between vagueness and graphicness in this one. And hopefully I'm not coming across as some kind of sociopath!)

I'm not familiar with massage parlors. But given your specifications, from what recall during my last trip in Jan, you would probably have the best luck in fresh boys or screwboy in silom. You could ask the mama to point out the bottoms for u. 

Any of the full service massage place can be your best bet then. Id stick with vck, arena, prince since u can actually go there and pick the masseurs from a line up, while the mamasan can help u with your specific requests and point out who fits the specs. 

Other massage places that has lists of masseurs pics on line apps can be hit or miss in terms of their pics, height, stats, but i guess position usually clearly stated in their stats. I can attest that jeyspa is the one that ive tried and their masseurs pics and stats are quite acceptable. I have no issue with heights though but cant recall if its on display for jeyspa. 

6 hours ago, Draden said:

Thank you all very much!

Aside from the question of specific type availability, is there typically a lot of haggling involved? I just note that, in some reports, a user will say that they struck out at XYZ place or, at the end of the massage, no specials were offered by ABC masseuer.