vaughn

Trip Report Dec/Jan - first time, better late than never.

On 1/11/2020 at 4:57 AM, vaughn said:

26/12 Day 8-

He suggests we go see another bar but i was not really in the mood to drink and after the few days where i was unable to spend time with any boys i wanted to get back to the hotel.
I had been to foodland earlier in the day for snacks and as i knew he devoured the complimentary chocolates last time i bought a small selection of a few of my favorites as i have a bit of a sweet tooth as well, he seemed to approve of my taste haha.

Thanks for your fine reporting. You enjoyed a good introduction to the city and acquitted yourself well.

The above experience caught my attention. I'd never feel obliged to pick up on an off's suggestion to visit another venue. It's one thing if you asked him what he wanted to do but when a guy volunteers plans for your evening I'd be a bit suspect of his intentions which should be to concentrate on you.

Taking him to some place to eat, I agree, is a good practice but if you aren't in agreement on his choice feel free to select someplace predictable like Foodland where you'll both be comfortable and well fed at reasonable cost.

23 hours ago, faranglaw said:

if you are over 65 you can ride on MRT for half price seniors’ fare.  

60, it seems. If over 65 you are "entitled' to half fares, but from 60 you are "privileged" to the same (on MRT, but not BTS). Maybe a lawyer can explain.

As for the clear and informative (YMMV) announcements, I lip-sync along with them. Doesn't everybody?

โปรดใช้ความระมัดระวังขณะก้าวออกจากรถ (mind the gap!)

7 hours ago, vaughn said:

i'll be honest i was a little choked up saying goodbye, it's hard to spend that much time with someone and not get a little attached but i did/do have to remind myself this was a nice experience but in the end i'm a paying customer. I remember thinking 'this is why i'm a butterfly, so i don't get too attached' haha.

Funny how this happens :lol:   Great report thanks.

9 hours ago, vaughn said:

Is Songkran really bad? are the bars still open for business during that holiday? it is right in the middle of my stay.
I saw a few youtube videos etc, I figured it might be interesting to see.. hopefully i don't regret it.

You won't regret it. Apparently, you are of a younger age (may I ask how old?) and sure able and willing to party. And one big party Songkran is. Everyone is just in great spirits and the water fun in the streets is just that - great fun. 

For perspective: when I visited Thailand for the first time and accidentally and totally unknowingly stumbled into it, I came back I think  about three times specifically to partake in the Songkran madness. So much fun and, needless to say, so many hookups! Back then (early 00-years) it was much wilder than today, even INSIDE DJ Station was a wet zone, a favorite being water thrown down from the top floor onto the dance floor. All speakers and electrical equipment were wrapped in plastic, but still how that could possibly be fully waterproof and not lead to short circuits and power outage I don't know, but it did happen with no problems at all. Anyway, for you the past is irrelevant and you first Songkran will be a blast.

So do not let the naysayers deter you. Nowadays I actually do leave the country over Songkran because I've played it often enough and just want don't want to get wet all the time anymore. But people who tell you ONLY the "annoying" side of getting wet all the time are just one sided and suppress the fun that can be had *IF* you let your hair down and go into it full throttle. 

6 hours ago, reader said:

I'd never feel obliged to pick up on an off's suggestion to visit another venue. It's one thing if you asked him what he wanted to do but when a guy volunteers plans for your evening I'd be a bit suspect of his intentions which should be to concentrate on you.

Very wise advice worth reading and memorizing, backed in my mind by my own experiences with guys. Be it another bar, restaurant or shopping  when guy suggested going there or doing it , it almost invariably created some inconvenience like too much time wasted, excessive bill,  request for uncalled for gift  and at end of day less intimate time spent with the guy.

It's nice to be nice to our boys but we shouldn't forget that tune is called by whoever pays the piper. 

So whenever my guy suggests going somewhere  I'm not inclined to,  my answer is ' no, lets go to the hotel because I like you so much I need to hug / kiss , if they are kissers  / you  right away.

Saying that I must add that invariably I always ask my Long Time  offs ( and at times even Short Times ) if they are hungry and if they are , invite them to some place to eat

10 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

Some people like Songkran.  Some don't. .......  Try it once.  For the people who do enjoy, it is immense fun.  For the people who don't, I think it is a bit of fresh hell.

sounds like Christmas, some people can't wait to start , others can't wait for it to be over.

But your advice is sound, without trying we will never know. Even on this forum there are  fans and haters of Songkran.

But in such big city like Bangkok even if somebody doesn't like it, there are ways to escape I guess?   

Songkran can be fun but might be hell experience too it depends,The fun side is that it's like a big endless street party the bad side is everyone are throwing at you water and colour pouders so you can barely get out of your room without getting wet and dirty it's fun at the beginning but can be very annoying at the long term I heard many expacts are buying supply for a week and are staying in their room till the madness is over.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:48 PM, spoon said:

But real twink haven in pattaya is sunee, or so ive heard.

That's definitely on the list for my next Pattaya visit! I appreciate all of the suggestions, great info thank you!

21 hours ago, reader said:

The above experience caught my attention. I'd never feel obliged to pick up on an off's suggestion to visit another venue. It's one thing if you asked him what he wanted to do but when a guy volunteers plans for your evening I'd be a bit suspect of his intentions which should be to concentrate on you.

I agree, wasn't much of a problem with N, he was pretty good at taking a hint when i wasn't interested in going to certain places.
There was one moment where i got confused on the night we went to see his friend he said "where you go now" which i thought he meant he wanted to go off alone, I was initially a bit annoyed thinking I'd paid for him to come and he was going to run off with a friend... I ended up saying "uhh what, where you go now?" and he replied "up to you".. then it clicked he meant "where DO you want to go now" haha.

16 hours ago, anddy said:

You won't regret it. Apparently, you are of a younger age (may I ask how old?) and sure able and willing to party. And one big party Songkran is. Everyone is just in great spirits and the water fun in the streets is just that - great fun.

I'm 31, and happy to see how it goes. I'm not a massive fan of getting soaked all day and night but when in Rome.. I'll join the party and have some fun.
I'm a pretty easy going sort of guy, so even if I'm not enjoying it at the time I'll be able to find somewhere to make my own fun, but i have a feeling I'll love it even just for the experience.

4 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Songkran can be fun but might be hell experience too it depends,The fun side is that it's like a big endless street party the bad side is everyone are throwing at you water and colour pouders so you can barely get out of your room without getting wet and dirty it's fun at the beginning but can be very annoying at the long term I heard many expacts are buying supply for a week and are staying in their room till the madness is over.

I might take grab some cheap shirts and shorts, at least that way I can just ditch them in the bin at the hotel rather than ruining clothes i like.. I can see how it'd get annoying for expats that have it going on every year though, it might lose it's appeal after a few years haha.

1 hour ago, vaughn said:

I might take grab some cheap shirts and shorts, at least that way I can just ditch them in the bin at the hotel rather than ruining clothes i like.. I can see how it'd get annoying for expats that have it going on every year though, it might lose it's appeal after a few years haha.

Gym shorts or similar are fine for the water sports (hehehe).  They sell special Songkran shirts - bright colored floral shirts - for a few hundred baht along the street.  You can also easily pick up plastic glasses to protect your eyes- essential - and a waterproof carrier for your wallet if you don't already have one.  Flip-flops or similar sandals that don't get slippery when wet are advised.  

For a young 'un such as yourself you might seriously consider heading to one of the gay Thai cubs' special open air night time Songkran parties.  It's where the young gay Thais will be.  Fake Club usually does a big one.

This is the first Songkran I'll be missing in 10? years.  Now I'm starting to feel bad.

On 1/11/2020 at 5:15 PM, DivineMadman said:

*One quibble:  FYI (In case you didn't know) MRT to Chatuchak is the long way.  Faster to take BTS and change at Siam.  But, as they say, up to you.

I recently chose the MRT for this trip, instead of my normal BTS route.  Whilst the BTS may be quicker, it's necessary to change trains AND there is often barely enough  room to stand.  Meanwhile, on the MRT, there is plenty of standing space and a seat is almost guaranteed when all the passengers get off at Sukhumvit. 

For newbies, of course there is a better view from the BTS.

5 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

I deliberately left out the phone because now most phones are waterproof.  But if someone still has a non-waterproof phone, definitely!

most? I doubt that.... The newer iphones may be, but others? Plus you can't assume everyone has the latest model, some people will still use dinosaurs  from, gosh, two years ago! lol ;) 

31 minutes ago, anddy said:

most? I doubt that.... The newer iphones may be, but others? Plus you can't assume everyone has the latest model, some people will still use dinosaurs  from, gosh, two years ago! lol ;) 

Yes, but I figured the people who aren’t using waterproof phones know how to protect them.  

16 minutes ago, DivineMadman said:

Yes, but I figured the people who aren’t using waterproof phones know how to protect them.  

that's true, but a newbie to Songkran doesn't necessarily know just HOW wet things get. Hence your appropriate tips about protecting eyes and wallet - both less critical than the phone ;) Well eyes as such are, but the protection is not a real necessity, the majority of people don't and in the past those goggles weren't even available.

On 1/12/2020 at 3:57 PM, vaughn said:

Is Songkran really bad? are the bars still open for business during that holiday? it is right in the middle of my stay.
I saw a few youtube videos etc, I figured it might be interesting to see.. hopefully i don't regret it.

I think most of us enjoyed the first few times. After that the novelty wears off and we flee to drier or more civilised parts than Bangkok or Pattaya.

Yes please see it at least once. You will be soaked head to toe for three days (or more) .

DO NOT carry passport , credit cards etc. Pickpockets abound.   Anything you do carry, protect in plastic (pouches available everywhere)..

Most bars and shops (except banks and government offices)  are open EXCEPT Silom soi 4 which is a dry oasis (wrong word). Soi 4 is protected by police security to stop any water guns. It will be packed from 17:00 till closing time and absolutely no water.  Party atmosphere -- but dry (of water).

There is no point in getting angry as someone empties a bucket of water over your head -- and if a Thai or a child, smile back and say " Sawatdee Bee Mai" (Happy New Year).

Do come and have fun and maybe I'll see you in soi 4 .

As an afterthought, It is officially 3 days starting 13th April but vary slightly throughout the country. In Pattaya, it is officially 19th of April but over the years has extended itself to start on the 13th to 19th.

Edited by Patanawet
afterthought

1 hour ago, anddy said:

that's true, but a newbie to Songkran doesn't necessarily know just HOW wet things get. Hence your appropriate tips about protecting eyes and wallet - both less critical than the phone ;) Well eyes as such are, but the protection is not a real necessity, the majority of people don't and in the past those goggles weren't even available.

The goggles have been available for many years.  I've noticed that particulars the foreigners spray in your and eyes with high powered guns.  That's why I thought it was important to mention it.

My objection (and why I always warn potential travellers) is that Songkran isn't just for participants; everyone has to join in whether they like it or not. In my case , it was receiving a bucket of iced water  in my face while travelling from Jomtien   at 30 mph in a baht-bus. It hurt.

More annoying than dangerous or painful was a small Thai child pointing a water gun at me in 2nd road on my way to dinner and wetting me despite my explicit unwillingness to play. The parents seemed to consider it funny. I thought he deserved a slap.....which is exactly what the wife of the Norwegian Ambassador did  to a child when similarly assailed. Older posters may recall the furore that followed.

4 minutes ago, Londoner said:

My objection (and why I always warn potential travellers) is that Songkran isn't just for participants; everyone has to join in whether they like it or not. In my case , it was receiving a bucket of iced water  in my face while travelling from Jomtien   at 30 mph in a baht-bus. It hurt.

More annoying than dangerous or painful was a small Thai child pointing a water gun at me in 2nd road on my way to dinner and wetting me despite my explicit unwillingness to play. The parents seemed to consider it funny. I thought he deserved a slap.....which is exactly what the wife of the Norwegian Ambassador did  to a child when similarly assailed. Older posters may recall the furore that followed.

You're right. That's exactly the problem and why nowhere is really safe from the water play.  Little neighborhood kids on the corner of every soi.  But it's a Thai national holiday so when in Thailand.... 

17 minutes ago, Londoner said:

This is where i would draw the line myself. One thing to get shot by water pistols, or thrown water by the bucket while walking. Its another thing altogether getting hit by bucket of ice waters (hopefully without ice cubes inside) while travelling at speed. 

So to avoid this, one either has to stay at home, stay inside a covered taxi/cars, or maybe stay inside soi 4? Any other alternatives if i decided that one day of songkran is enough for me? Lol. 

3 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

The goggles have been available for many years.  I've noticed that particulars the foreigners spray in your and eyes with high powered guns.  That's why I thought it was important to mention it.

your experience is way more recent and thus more relevant than mine, so when you say goggles have been available for many years (and necessary given the tactics you describe) I believe you. When I said goggles weren't available "in the past" I meant my own Songkran experiences 15-20 years ago, quite a distant past haha.

Back then, there were still these super high power things, dunno what they're called. They were essentially a HUGE syringe, with a plunger you could push in with as much force as you liked, thus generating immense and dangerous pressure. They were then banned, rightly so. Still, I don't recall anyone wearing the protective goggles despite such danger.

I'm new to this site and taking my very first trip to Bangkok next month.  Thanks for the great info!  I've been trying to educate myself on how things are done in Bangkok and this has been a great help.  I'm mostly interested in massage with extras.  But I do have one question, what does "off" mean??   Thanks!