emiel1981

Visiting in rainy season

• Members
5 hours ago, emiel1981 said:

Can't wait to be back in Thailand. Due to job requirements I will not be able to go to Bangkok, Phuket and Patong before September. But.... Rainy season... Any forum members have good or bad expierence visiting Thailand during rainy season? Go or no go? 

Thailand's raining season is during summer months.  You can't go to Thailand before September, so you won't be there in raining season. 🙄

2 hours ago, scott456 said:

Thailand's raining season is during summer months.  You can't go to Thailand before September, so you won't be there in raining season. 🙄

Sorry have to disagree.

September and October are the wettest months although May and June can be wet.

See Pattaya climate and rainfall figures here:

http://www.pattayaweather.net/

I prefer the rainy season in Pattaya..... quieter (sic) which used to be a plus! And anyway, most of the pleasures available are of the indoor variety while the rain rarely lasts more than an hour or two.

However, a visit we made to Krabi a few years back was a disaster; we had planned boat-trips to various islands including Phi Phi. Each day, we'd wake -up to glorious sunshine but observe  clouds on the horizon. By the time we were due to leave, the rains had come. We spent much of the time in-doors. And no Phi Phi.

15 hours ago, gerefan said:

See Pattaya climate and rainfall figures here:

http://www.pattayaweather.net/

Also I use the following site, when considering any destination.  Data from this is one reason why I've never been to Bali on one of my December trips.

https://weatherspark.com/y/113385/Average-Weather-in-Phatthaya-Thailand-Year-Round

The following graphs are for Pattaya.   Oddly, they spell it with a H, but the map shows the correct location.

Daily Chance of Precipitation in Phatthaya.png

Average Monthly Rainfall in Phatthaya.png

my first ever trip was in September (in 2006). The coup was the biggest deal that time and even that turned out to not be a huge inconvenience to me. Given the crazy amounts of rain that have been happening in "dry" season this year I'm not sure what even is rainy season anymore

I prefer to visit Thailand during the wet season, one reason was that pre covid there were less tourists there. I did spend Christmas and new years in Bangkok once, the weather was very nice but as nice as it was I reverted back to the wet season on later trips. 

1 hour ago, TMax said:

I prefer to visit Thailand during the wet season, one reason was that pre covid there were less tourists there. I did spend Christmas and new years in Bangkok once, the weather was very nice but as nice as it was I reverted back to the wet season on later trips. 

rest assured during Christmas  last year  crowds of tourists were nowhere to be seen, eye witness here

I like very much to visit the islands in the south especially Krabi area , the rainy season can be a turn off for beaches lovers like me so I prefer December to April months for traveling .Actually it is a matter of luck even at the rainy season it is usually hot and might have lots of sunny days and enjoy everything Thailand can offer.the climate in Thailand is unpredictable .

1 hour ago, gerefan said:

Thailand has two seasons!

1. Hot and Dry.

2. Hot and Wet.

An occasional cool spell may occur in December or January.     I've heard German expats sat outside Benjamit coffee shop moaning about it, but it still wasn't actually cool enough to require a second layer of clothing.

For comparison, here's the weather forecast back home in the UK.    Thailand beats this:

UK weather.JPG

Having also visited LOS (Land of Smiles for unknowing) so many times and spread through the year: the very worst of times is the end of dry season: NOW till when first rains come. Too sticky hot and muggy, the rains then come as refreshing. Thats also why Thai schools have holidays (their ´summer´ hols) in this period. And thats why there is that awful Songkran=water splashing festival to cool down. In the long south strip of TH it is different for east/west side, due to monsoon winds.

But when the rainy season ends=sept, oct, it may also be not that pleasant: it all gets so saturated that floods may occur and it also somehow seems to me that the usual hour late-afternoon of rains tends to get longer&longer.

If you can lay your hand on some travel agency program or online: prices for all-in Hols are lowest when wheather is worst, and ditto for reverse! Same applies for airfares, at least from EUR