macaroni21

Bangkok post-Covid, July 2022

My enjoyment of this current trip started within twenty minutes of landing at BKK.....the many cute young guys  who work there  immediately reminded me just how different -and better-Thailand is for such as I. 

And then my  rather long wait at the luggage carousel was made bearable by the presence of two handsome young airline reps, my mask hiding an admiring smile.

My holiday was off to a flying start.

Thank you for your recount of Dreamboys - I think I went there about 6 times during my last trip and I kinda miss it already (although the shows are mostly same same but with some slight differences from night to night), but your post brought me right back 😊

2 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

No one asked to see my vaccination certificate when I checked in for my flight. To my surprise, no one at Suvarnabhumi asked to see my vaccination certificate either, so I entered Thailand with no one knowing that I am fully vaccinated (and boostered).

Things are even better than pre-Covid. Although the cabin crew gave out TM-6 arrival cards while we were enroute, and I had dutifully filled out mine, about the first sign I saw as I approached the immigration queue - it wasn't too bad, only about 6 - 7 persons in front of me - was one that said "TM-6 not needed" or something to that effect. So, one fewer piece of paper than pre-Covid. Brought a smile to my face.

Travelling light, I decided to take the airport rail link to Phaya Thai. It cost 45 baht. The train was full. By the second or third station after leaving the airport, it was standing room only.

At Phaya Thai, the first of the post-Covid hiccups began. I had two Rabbit cards from my previous visits to Thailand. I was quite certain both contained money value, but as it had been more than two years since I last used them, they had since expired.

rabbit_card_gg2.jpg

I had to queue up at the customer service counter to get the matter solved. Indeed, the clerk said both had expired but he could reactivate them and the money value would remain intact. That was good. I learned that there was about 140 baht in one card and about 180 baht in the other. In those two years, I had even forgotten what princely sums I had in them.

I reached Raya Hotel (thanks to some of you for the recommendation) almost exactly an hour after touch-down. Pulled all the curtains open and took a nice hot shower in the fully transparent shower stall in full view of Bangkok. No better way to announce my arrival.

rayahotel_shower_gg2.jpg

@macaroni21 love your report !

Is it really a 'pip show' bathroom right into the leaving room without an option to cover in your room at the Raya hotel ?

On 7/17/2022 at 8:05 AM, Boy69 said:

@macaroni21 finally you are describing us the truth about the current situation in Silom-Suriwong area because  almost all the latest reports by other members you could get the false impression that things get back to normal which isn't the truth, I know some can enjoy hunting boys in Bangkok and tell the whole world how wonderful their latest trip was and ignore the lifeless streets , shuttered business, absent of street stalls and markets but I couldn't do it , I will not be able to enjoy my self on this gloomy post covid area.

I hope the situation will improve very soon so I can visit again my beloved Thailand as it was before. 

I know I made a lot of controversy here but I didn't mean to, I don't suggesting anyone what to do or not to do I just said that personally for me it will be very sad to come and see the consequences of the Covid and I am not sure I can ignore it and have a good time because it might be too devastated for me too see the closed bars which I liked ,the closed markets, businesses and street stalls so I prefer to wait for better times to come.

16 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

@macaroni21 love your report !

Is it really a 'pip show' bathroom right into the leaving room without an option to cover in your room at the Raya hotel ?

There are roll-down blinds, so boy-du-soir can shower without me ogling and salivating from the side of the glass. 🤣

3 hours ago, Boy69 said:

I am not sure I can ignore it and have a good time because it might be too devastated for me too see the closed bars which I liked ,the closed markets, businesses and street stalls so I prefer to wait for better times to come.

Don't be so sure that "better times" will come.   Most of the gogo bars I visited on my first trip to Thailand have closed and have not been replaced.  I wouldn't assume that all the gogo bars that were open in January 2020 will reopen.   Some of the new gogo bars seem to be trying quite hard to fail.  

Despite all that, there is plenty to do in Thailand.

Since we're not on this planet forever, I prefer to take holidays every year, whilst I still can.   Carpe diem.

3 hours ago, z909 said:

Most of the gogo bars I visited on my first trip to Thailand have closed and have not been replaced. 

In my case, I think only two that were around on my first visit are still around today: Tawan in Bangkok and BoyzBoyzBoyz in Pattaya. I'm pretty sure about Tawan, but not so sure about the latter. 

To be frank, I don't even think about the past much. So excuse me if my memory is hazy.

17 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

The following morning, I enquired how much a basic haricut would be. The guy at the door said 350 baht. For Thailand this didn't sound right and so I declined.

There are an awful lot of barbers shops around the Silom area, charging around 300~350 baht, which seems to be more than I would expect to pay in Thailand.    

The gay friendly C&B place charges 400.   The standard of cut is very good and it's still cheaper than the UK, but that does seem high for Thailand.

When visiting Pattaya, I usually pay about 100.  

As for translating Thai signs, google lens is very useful.

7 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

Thanks for the suggestion z909. My google translate of the Thai words above the figure "200" came out as "cut - vowel -set". I think my guess is right... it's the price of a haircut, maybe it also includes wash and dry?

ตัด to cut

สระ to wash hair, but means also vowel

เช็ด to rub (dry), I think the spelling on the sign เช็ต is wrong

I think google lens doesn't work well if it's only words not sentences, and especially if those word's are spelled wrongly lol.

3 hours ago, z909 said:

There are an awful lot of barbers shops around the Silom area

There are not only an awful lot, but also a lot of awful ones. I guess the minimum requirement for calling someone a barber is being able to use an electric hair trimmer as well as being able to use scissors. Many fail with the second requirement.

Last time I was in BKK in February I wanted to go to C&B and expected it to be in Patpong 2 somewhere one the second floor - is that wrong? Couldn't find it and 2 local people I asked told me there is no barber in PP2. So I went to a barber in PP1, which I now identify as Wong Barber Shop on Google Maps, it was ok.

37 minutes ago, 10tazione said:

Last time I was in BKK in February I wanted to go to C&B and expected it to be in Patpong 2 somewhere one the second floor - is that wrong? Couldn't find it and 2 local people I asked told me there is no barber in PP2.

C&B is in Patpong 2 upstairs just along from Hotmale & Fresh Boys.  Directly opposite Lucky Boys.     Also on google maps.

Asking Thais for directions can lead to poor results.

It's nice to know the Rabbit cards can be reactivated. I guess MRT can now accept wireless credit cards for payment which seems easy enough. Is there any sort of unified payment card yet? I thought the Spider Card was supposed to do that but don't know if it ever materialized.

3 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

I can see no reason to visit New Twilight again until it has substantially improved.

That's the impression I get from all of the posts on the bar, including the relatively positive ones.

3 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

I wanted to stress to him the absurdity of running a  gogo bar with fully-clothed boys and deafening music. We went on to discuss a bit more about the challenges of staying in business. Given the deafening music and language gap, it wasn't easy to maintain a coherent conversation, so all I have a a rough sense, reading between the lines of his responses.

1. He volunteered that their location already put them at a disadvantage;
  2. He mentioned something about the difficulty of attracting gogoboys should they insist that they strip down on stage ("Boy don't want to work here."). I would have thought that if that's the boy's position, then this cannot possibly be a vocation for him, but New Twlight might think differently.
  3. I tried to ask about tea money and if there were different rates for strip bars versus jeans-and-shirts bars, but got nowhere (or he didn't understand my question);
  4. When I asked how they expected to compete against the other bars, especially given their locational disadvantage, he mentioned "But have you seen our show?"

The conversation went on a bit following the last point, so I shall summarise my take-aways: They're a bunch of people, starting from the owner down, who somehow think that business success in this sector hinges on a super show. ("Ah, that's why they've spent tons of money building an opera house!", I said to myself). They seem to think that if the show is great, there would be customers, and as a trickle down effect, there would be offs.

I would have thought the opposite. Intimacy and contact should be what counts, not dazzle and spectacle. Getting offs for the boys should be the #1 business aim. That means hiring plenty of boys, seducing your customers with lots of skin and keeping prices reasonable. T

You have the right idea.  

They do not and are just making excuses. The worst excuse of the lot is "location".   They chose the location and have sank quite a lot of capex into it.   So they either need to make it work or write off that capex.

If they have the best gogo bar in Bangkok, or the best niche gogo bar in Bangkok, people will find it. 

I'd be really surprised if finding gogo boys prepared to strip down to underwear on stage were that difficult.   Boys are not that shy.   Times have been tough for some money boys, so they ought to be at least as keen as in 2019.  

If I were in the position of a gogo boy, standing on the stage in underwear wouldn't be the problem -getting up close to some of the customers would be the difficult part.

Besides, if a bar intends to charge 350 baht for a drink, they have to offer something that customers want to see.

However, thank you for trying to explain the basics to them.