CallMeLee

First Trip Report: Bangkok September 2023

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

some people have all luck in life

I was very let down on this last trip, but like I said, I knew it was slow season going in....but luckily missed the big rains.

So I booked the end of January-February to give it another go before writing it off for awhile... but doing some in Indonesia and some Manila to make it worth my while going that far again 😉

10 hours ago, CallMeLee said:

Question: how do bottle service works and is it more cost effective? How much should I tip the guys who say with me helping to down the bottle?

While variety is good, I think there's a certain degree of comfort that familiarity can bring.

I never did the bottle thing but few times was invited , along with boys by members who order one. Advantage is you and your party don't need to finish. Bar will put your name on the bottle and in day or few you can and continue. Disadvantage is that you may get drunk fast if not careful.

I was told it's 3000 - 3500 baht , more if you order some imported treat. While it may sound a lot it may work well as it lasts longer, you save on boys drinks, usually they give you free chasers (coke , water etc. ) and on next visit you don't need to pay for drink to enter , you just tell them you have bottle opened and they let you and your party if any to enter free. As for tips I'd say the same like you invite boy and buy him a drink, depending of time they sat with you and how progressive you were with them (or they with you) 100-500  should be fair I guess. If you decide to off one of those boys I'd not be tipping him as he get his share in your room.

Hope somebody with more experience will chip in with better advice

I agree with your statement  as repeat business  is better for both sides. Each one knows already what to expect and what is expected.  Usually subsequent meets are much better than initial one but there are exceptions to watch. Some guys are getting too comfortable and lazy unfortunately. Others may tend to take an ownership of you when you visit their bar inviting themselves immediately and asking for drink. 

Way I try to keep them on shorter leash if sense that is I tell them I'll be offing them again tonight but will be sitting and drinking with somebody else  - kind of what you did at Freshboys

10 hours ago, CallMeLee said:

The problem with writing trip reports like this is the more that you write and reflect back on your experiences, the more the longing and temptation to go back becomes unbearable. 

agreed, it's why on quite a few occasions right after I finished writing report I booked my next trip , even if several months away. That soothed nerves a bit. 

• Members
On 9/23/2023 at 10:12 AM, Keithambrose said:

One advantage of Le Meredien is plenty of towels. 4 bath towels in room!

I looked into booking the Le Meridien for the first week of January. It's $300 US a night including breakfast. Yet when I used the Marriott website to book it, they responded that I needed to choose another guarantee method. I have no idea what they are talking about.

• Members
10 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Tarntawan has jumped to the 60-70usd range, going to price themselves out, it's still nice, but not for that price 😲

I think most hotels use some sort of computer software to update their price according to the market and demand.  That's why you see hotel price or airlines airfare fluctuate in unison with competitors.  If Tarntawan price is higher now, I bet other hotels are higher too.

56 minutes ago, scott456 said:

.  If Tarntawan price is higher now, I bet other hotels are higher too.

for fun I checked some prioces in Silom in 2nd half of October and yes several places raised their prices quite a bit but by no means that is universal. Le Siam, Quarter Saladaeng or Raya seem to be holding up, Tarntawan , Baan silom and Furama silom went up a bit

Gone are covid days when  Crowne Plaza with breakfast over Christmas 2021 could be had for 60 $  and Quarter Silom without breakfast , just 20 $

6 hours ago, CallMeLee said:

In my 7+ years of visiting Thailand, this is the first time that I went to a gogo club with a companion. It was a different experience but I enjoyed it overall. Jake was a bit taken aback with how much I am paying for the drinks and just nursed his "entry bottle" throughout the night

I visited bars with working boys few times and most behave  like Jake but on few cases they abused fact that I'm paying for the drinks and not only gulped few but even asked their bar friends to join without clearing with me. One guy, veteran of quite a few previous offs ,  in the morning got the harsh lesson - when I gave him his tip,  it was 1000 less  than normal.

When asked why so little  ( !!! ) I told him I discounted those bar drinks he gulped last night with his friend. Now we back on good terms but on subsequent trip he did not even approach me when I visited his bar.

So in short , watch your boys and them spending your money.

Another general comment , not related to day 9 above. When you are taking boy to the bar make sure he actually wants to go. Some boys do, some will go only because they think it makes you happy. So if one senses they are bit apprehensive , don't press the issue. After all what attraction to bar boy is to see other bar boys ? Although some genuinely like shows.