vinapu

Better to be retired than retarded - Thailand and Cambodia in January 2024. Trip report, brief but long.

12 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

It's very hard to visualise how much labour and skill went into building these monuments and sculptures. It's no easy thing to shape stone and rock into these complex forms.

correct. Only thing we tend to forget is that while we see final product sometimes it took dozens of years or even generations  before final shape of what we marvel  at  was achieved. In absence of Netlix and Facebook ancients has a lot of time 

23 hours ago, vinapu said:

After settling in , K and I went to the center for a dinner and ice cream from 7/11, walked along local night market ,

That's an improvement. When I stayed in Old Sukhotai many years ago I was shocked 😵 to discover there was no night market. So where to eat? Fortunately my nose led me to an unmarked shophouse where a lady was making takeaway meals for local customers. She cooked me something quite pleasant but clearly toned down for the Western palate. She asked how I liked it and I managed to convey that I could have handled more spices, so she immediately made a repeat order with the proper degree of heat. From starvation to very satisfactory overeating 😋 ...

1 minute ago, thaiophilus said:

That's an improvement. When I stayed in Old Sukhotai many years ago I was shocked 😵 to discover there was no night market. So where to eat? Fortunately my nose led me to an unmarked shophouse where a lady was making takeaway meals for local customers. She cooked me something quite pleasant but clearly toned down for the Western palate. She asked how I liked it and I managed to convey that I could have handled more spices, so she immediately made a repeat order with the proper degree of heat. From starvation to very satisfactory overeating 😋 ...

you will not have that problem those days. Main street is filled with shops and restaurants, some opened till late and yes , there's substantial night market with at least 3 dozen if not more food stalls. I also noticed some restaurants in side streets , specially where hotels are.

While sightseeing though make sure you stock on drinks and snacks as they are not that available other then Si Chum temple site. On another hand as I mentioned above, one is never really too far from the city so if need to nourish arises it's fairly fast and easy to be back.

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

I headed to Happy Beer Garden on Suriwong where I was supposed to lunch with ichigo. It was our first meet and we had nice chat and boy information sharing session over  the lunch.

Very lovely to have met you to share stories and hopefully our paths will cross again in the future!

5 hours ago, floridarob said:

Do you take notes or is this from memory?

I do take a notes on every trip , not only Thai ones and I do it at least once  a day , In Thailand in the afternoon before hitting bars, often also in the morning , after breakfast.

Yes , I also keep forgetting things. On another hand not everything from my notes is transferred to trip reports and hope that is understood 

10 hours ago, vinapu said:

nearby recommended restaurant with the view and one of best chicken with cashews I had this trip.

Can you share the name of the restaurant? Chicken/cashews is one of my favorite Thai dishes