garygx

Visiting Pattaya in July

On 4/30/2024 at 8:19 PM, reader said:

You would be correct. Restrict my adventures geographically to Bangkok and Vietnam.🙂

+1

"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing that they like." 🙂

The Pride of Miss Jean Brodie, 1969

Curious what horrified you about Bangkok?

Pollution, traffic, crowds in the streets. In general I don't like mega cities I tend to feel stressed and lost.

On 5/4/2024 at 9:36 AM, Travellerdave said:

as I feel more confortable in gay or gay friendly hotels, despite seldom having issues elsewhere.

Yes I agree I prefer 'gay' hotelsI feel at home and avoiding uncomfortable stares from straight guests at non gay hotels . Neve had amy issue at any hotel in Thailand thogh.

9 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

Pollution, traffic, crowds in the streets. In general I don't like mega cities I tend to feel stressed and lost.

Understand your dislikes but doesn't Pattaya have horrendous traffic and crowds (second only to Bangkok according to tourism report from government this week)?

On 4/28/2024 at 5:59 PM, vinapu said:

so in short, if one can afford,  rent for 1-3 nights cheapest  rooms in both Ambiance or Copa AND Zing Resort or The Venue and you don't need to worry when you finish the night. 7/11 to buy tooth brush and Colgate are close by here and there. For 60 $ you may have freedom of choice and save money on night transport between two and as a bonus you can get extra drunk knowing bed is steps away.

We did this during Songkran, rented our usual condo near Sinlapin Issan, but also booked a room in the agate for 7 nights, we could then choose where we would sleep depending on where the night took us. In the end, we only slept in Agate 1 of the 7 nights, but did use it plenty of times as a staging area for clean toilets, hot showers and wardrobe changes!

On 5/3/2024 at 4:37 PM, brall3 said:

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which is not that far from Boystown?  If so, do they allow  visitors to the room?

I would not really consider the HI Express on Soi Buakow to be near BT, it is in the middle of the straight district and the roads from there (Soi 15 or the one that is like the surface of the moon) are not pedestrian friendly so i would recommend finding somewhere else to stay

12 hours ago, reader said:

Understand your dislikes but doesn't Pattaya have horrendous traffic and crowds (second only to Bangkok according to tourism report from government this week)?

Not at 1999 at my first visit.

14 hours ago, reader said:

Very correct what you wrote.

I try to only venture into Pattaya city from Jomtien 1 time per week - as that never ending traffic is so frustrating.  And most of it is because of the NEVER ending road construction on roads that have already completed their road works months earlier.

That was certainly true a year ago....and those roadworks had begun before the Covid period. I'm not saying all is well but our March stay was much better than our November one in this respect, particularly in Second Road. Twenty-five minutes as opposed to forty  from the JC to Central in the early evening.

4 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

I try to only venture into Pattaya city from Jomtien 1 time per week - as that never ending traffic is so frustrating

Pattaya traffic is only a problem if you are on a songtaew, it turns left at the Bali Hai Overpass and gets stuck in traffic at the lead up to marine hotel

If you are in a bolt tell them to turn right at the overpass and then get to Pattaya Tai by Sophon market intersection or through soi yensabai, soi day night or soi Holywood. Takes no more than 10 mins Jomtien to Boystown 

28 minutes ago, colmx said:

Pattaya traffic is only a problem if you are on a songtaew, it turns left at the Bali Hai Overpass and gets stuck in traffic at the lead up to marine hotel

I had to go into Pattaya city from Jomtien twice last week due to birthday celebration activities.

One time by songtaew (bahtbus) and as you wrote the traffic was jammed all the way up to where the songtaew starts for the return trip back to Jomtien (near the temple) - but now they are restricting 2nd road in many places from Boyztown for minor construction sites (we counted 6 of them) that restrict the 3 lane traffic down to 1 lane.  So, you get the DOUBLE nightmare of part 1 (normal) + part 2 (new due to redoing already completed construction).

For the 2nd trip we went by car and did as you said to turn right - so we avoided the above mentioned part 1 (normal) delay - but because we were going to a birthday dinner in Wongamat - we encountered all of the part 2 redoings of already completed construction traffic jams....

Does the mayor of Pattaya city every have to drive around in this traffic nightmare?

4 minutes ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

we were going to a birthday dinner in Wongamat

Your driver should have taken a right at the overpass intersection and taken Third road all the way to Naklua, driving the same route the pattaya mayor does (his offices are next to Terminal 21)

On 5/8/2024 at 12:07 PM, 12is12 said:

How do non thai speakers convey such directions?

I didnt get the impression that drivers r either patient or communicative...

I'm sure others could do it more elegantly, but assuming i was going from Jomtien to BT and was in the front seat i would indicate using my hand showing a right turn and saying "Bpai Tlad Sophon" followed by a left hand movement stating Pattaya Tai / Wat Chai. I think most would get it (assuming the driver actually knows pattaya in the first place!)

4 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

The old British way, just talk loudly to foreigners!

Or you could use the Australian way 

Ah yes, the Colonial Way. It used to work decades ago in some parts of the world but Thailand was never colonised  and many falang visitors have found out to their cost that Thais  don't like being patronised or bullied.  On the contrary, they feel that their ancient civilisation and their spiritual beliefs are  of far more  intrinsic worth than ours.

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

Ah yes, the Colonial Way. It used to work decades ago in some parts of the world but Thailand was never colonised  and many falang visitors have found out to their cost that Thais  don't like being patronised or bullied.  On the contrary, they feel that their ancient civilisation and their spiritual beliefs are  of far more  intrinsic worth than ours.

Bit like the Japanese.  It was Rama 5 who staved off the British and the French. Cleverly  playing one off against another.  He had to give up some provinces in the South to the UK, but kept country independent.  Also sent his sons to Eton. There is a great picture, in the Authors' lounge in the Oriental, of him, in full morning dress, looking over a serried rank of his sons, at least 10, all in morning dress, in descending order of height! He was ahead of his time. 

I used to stay at one of the Boyztown hotels. For my last 3 trips to Pattaya, I have stayed at the Avani Resort Pattaya. It's on 2nd Rd a few block's walk to Boyztown. It is a 4-5 star property. No problem bringing guests. I typically pay in the $90-95 USD range including a fabulous buffet breakfast for 2. Easy to get to Jomtien via tuk tuk. If you decide to stay there, I'd recommend joining their frequent guest program, GHA Discovery I think it is. I ended up getting 20% off food & beverage with the free membership. I was there twice last week for stays of 3 days each.

7 hours ago, MrBill said:

I used to stay at one of the Boyztown hotels. For my last 3 trips to Pattaya, I have stayed at the Avani Resort Pattaya. It's on 2nd Rd a few block's walk to Boyztown. It is a 4-5 star property. No problem bringing guests. I typically pay in the $90-95 USD range including a fabulous buffet breakfast for 2. Easy to get to Jomtien via tuk tuk. 

I believe you mean Baht Bus ( Pickup truck bus, 10 Baht)   as I have not seen any tuk tuk (3 wheeled transport) in Pattaya. Also can use a motorbike taxi 80/ 100 Baht or a Bolt car 100+ Baht or Taxi.