The future of gogo bars in Bangkok

I suspect there might just be a permanent cut in the number of gogo bars open after the economy has recovered from covid.

Right now, one can go into a Bangkok gogo bar, buy a drink for 350~400 baht, then have a mamasan sit down to watch your eye movements and spot if you are looking at a particular boy (as happened in Fresh Boys).  Depending on my mood, to counter this harassment, I either resort to random eye movements or ask them to go away.  By the time the customer has had 2 drinks and an off fee, the bill might be just under 1500.   Plus any tips.

Then after 20~40 minutes of short time service in the hotel room, the gogo boy is trained to complain if he gets anything less than 2000.     So we've laid out a total of 3500 here.

Meanwhile, if the customer uses Grindr or Hornet, there are lads in Bangkok who will readily agree to tips in the 1000~1500 range.   As long as the customer asks the right question, he's going to get more attentive service, without rushing and with experience, it's possible to filter out the ones who don't look like the photos.    So we've spent 1500 (or less) and got better service.   

Then, there's a wider & better selection of lads on the apps.  

OK, we miss the "fun" of a gogo bar.    But when Grindr and Hornet produce good results, it's just as easy to do the dating on the apps and just visit the gogo bars to have a look.  Which results in a cut in revenue for the gogo bars.

Down the road in Pattaya, there's a better gogo bar proposition in Winner Boys, where 2 drinks and an off come to just over 700 baht and the lad is likely to be perfectly happy with the same kind of tip that the lads on the apps in Pattaya get.    That's competitive.    However, as of February 2021, it was the only gogo bar in town for nice twinks.  I exclude Cupidol, as 4 fully dressed boys is not a viable gogo offering and Nice Boys is more of a "rough trade" bar.

I note most of the gay gogo bars in Bangkok are promoting some kind of show.   If you walk up Patpong, the touts at the gay bars will all be pushing a "show", whereas the touts at the girle bars have not yet offered that.    

Are people here going to be prepared to carry on spending a minimum of 3500 to get a short time experience in Bangkok, when results on the phone apps are often better for half the cost ?     We miss the fun of the gogo bar.   We also miss having to fend off the mamasan.

I notice the first time I used an app for a date in Thailand was 2013.   Yet even as recently as my 2015 trip, every single date was from a bar.  

This time, I only offed 2 lads from a bar.   Admittedly this was partially due to bar closures during part of the trip and once the gogo bars reopened, the selection was not that great. 

I managed perfectly well offing lads from the apps and occasionally visiting a bar for a beer.  

When it gets to the point where I'm expecting a BETTER experience with boys I meet on the apps, the idea of spending an extra 2000 baht for the Bangkok gogo experience is not appealing.   

Discuss.....

In my last trip a year ago I manage perfectly find the boys I wanted through Grindr even found a very handsome Vietnamese boy in BKK who traveled with me for 10 days to Pattaya,Ayuthaya and Kanchanaburi .I prefer open bars  in Jomtien Complex and Copa show bar and BBB  in Boyz Town over the traditional gogo bars where I always feel pressure to off boys by the staff, Hoverer on my last night went to Screw Boys just to see the fuck show and did enjoy the ambiance there the show was good and the boys were very attractive although I didn't intend to make an off I suddenly saw a very beautiful boy with amazing body I could not resist and offed him and he was great in bad one of the best I ever had . This adventure cost me  around 4k BHT it's not cheap but it was worth it I enjoyed a great evening at the bar and a great sex after that so it's nice we have many options to find boys through the apps and the bars .each option has its pros and cons.

Like to go gogo bar as u can see and experience the interaction in real.

And many stripping show which can see those boys are shy or playing each other on stage, fun and beautiful.

Nowadays this seems like lesser and no longer in some bar.

Gogo bar will continue to exist but currently, the one that focused on getting the crowd to come to the bar are the one that will survive. Tourists especially still want the gogobar experience, having fun in the bars, showing off they had money, having multiple boys surrounding them. I for one prefer to go to bars perhaps with friends or forum members instead of scrolling through profiles in grindr etc. I did that back home where we dont have access to gogobars and where i have more time to through the whole process of chatting and arranging a meet.

For long term visitor and expats as well as those who are spending wisely, apps are definitely more attractive offers, although your continued success might be fueled by bar closure and lack of customers in bars too. And covid seems to also increase the amount of guys entering the scene as well. Though its undeniable that apps popularity does impact gay bars survival in many places around the world and have been replacing the dating/hook up scene at gay bars pretty well.

The older I get, the earlier my bedtime. Although the main reason for my being an ex- bar  customer is that I'm in a relationship , I have to admit that, were I still a butterfly, I'd prefer to use hornet and Romeo because they allow afternoon sex. And reasonably early nights.

Yes, I do miss bars; I had a lot fun for ten years. Now, for the two of us, fun means a good dinner in  a decent restaurant, a walk and a quiet drink on the hotel balcony. 

But I'll make an admission. About three years go, P wanted an early night (even he's getting on now!) and, feeling restless, I had a look at Nice and Winners in Sunee.  I'm not sure that, even if I were twenty years younger, today's bars would engage me as they once did. It is true that I've changed but so have the bars.

many girlie bars in Pattaya have invented a new covid-induced business model, which may indeed survive well into the post-covid era given obvious international demand. They are Facebook live chats. They have phones mounted on tripods with a circular light around it on the tables and the girls live-chat with their customers around the world. Customers then buy them drinks as if they were there, and give tips, often to elicit some kind of "special" show, which seems never very "special" at all as it's all out in the open; just some silly dance moves or whatever. Payment via Paypal. This leads to the interesting phenomenon taht they show ZERO interest on potential customers passing by as foot traffic. 

This is bad for said foot traffic guys, but obviously a boon to the girls and the bars at this time. This model has not reached Bangkok, at least not in Patpong. Dunno about Cowboy or Nana. And definitely not the boy bars.

Guest guest_BenG1000

I'm totally different I guess, I love the mamasans and have supported some of them in these difficult times. I see it as 'Public Relations' ... they keep me updated, give me VIP seats and I enjoy the premium boys when I can. I'm very happy to leave a generous tip to those mamasans who make my life easy and enjoyable (Jupiter and Moonlight). Each to their own I guess, I found mamasans most helpful!

I like the bars but don’t like the pressure. I like watching the boys.

Many times boys look different in real life than on a photo. Even when it is not fake or old photo, the looks somehow can be different when you meet in real life. Sometimes for the better. Sometimes for the worse.

That is why I like the bars. You know for sure what you are getting. And can have a small chat before offing. 

I like the bars and hope to be back in Bangkok and Pattaya next year.

You are never sure what you get when inviting a boy from an app. I feel more safe taking a boy from a bar, even if some of the mamasans are too pushy, especially for someone like me who often likes to watch for a long time before making a decision.

• Members

I too like the bars also over choosing a boy from a photo on a screen.  I enjoy the atmosphere of the bars, and being able to view the whole group of boys firsthand.

I don't let the mamasans bother or intimidate me.  I talk with some of them, as some have useful information.  If a mamasan is obnoxious or annoys me, I simply ignore them as if I'm deaf.  

As z909 accurately points out, the list of irritants when visiting gogo bars has steadily increased over the years. I miss the days when we could affordably hop between 4 or 5 bars in a night with each one having a stage full of attractive boys.

I’m cautiously optimistic that the Bangkok gogo bars will survive a while longer. I miss the excitement and anticipation of an evening at the bars. There is no place else where we can have such an experience. And after a year spending most of my time alone at home, I’m eager to get back and enjoy some live entertainment.

Personally, I’ve had less success with the apps in Bangkok. I’ve had boys who don’t look like their pics or who don’t want to perform as agreed. For my typical 7 to 10 day holiday, I don’t want to risk wasting time searching for boys.

55 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

i am not surperised. The gay bars need tourists. It is 99% of their customer base. I am surprised they are still there after a traval ban for about a year now. 

I hope they still exist when i can travel again. But I worry.

How much boys should be paid for spending time with an older farang is a fair question.    However, whatever that sum of money is, I see no reason why it should be 33~100% higher for boys from gogo bars, compared with apps.   The lads I meet on the apps don't ask for more money and keep asking for further meetings, which implies they are happy with the tips or have not found a more lucrative way to earn a living.

As for which gogo bars to visit, I only go to the bars that have boys I like.  If the service is better in other bars, it's irrelevant if the boys are not my type.  

6 hours ago, richincali said:

Personally, I’ve had less success with the apps in Bangkok. I’ve had boys who don’t look like their pics or who don’t want to perform as agreed. For my typical 7 to 10 day holiday, I don’t want to risk wasting time searching for boys.

There are various ways of dealing with these problems.  

Regular visitors might recognize the use of a photo from 5 years ago.   Then check for use of photoshop (excessively smooth skin on the face etc).  Then either ask for a photo taken today OR state "If you don't look like the photo, we don't meet, OK ?".   Wait for his reply.  Apparently some members use video chat.

Also, if you are on a long holiday, keep your eyes open.   Eventually, you see some of the lads from the apps walking around. 

As for not performing as agreed, spell out what what is required to get the tip.    Then state "no XXXX no tip",   "no YYYY no tip"   OK ?      Again, wait for his reply.   This works and I've never had to invoke the no tip clause.

Of course, regarding non-performance, the same principles apply for offing a boy from a bar, except in a bar, there's much more pressure to complete the deal, since you are sat right next to a hot lad and there are further inconveniences with sending him back and interviewing another one.

It’s been 14 months since I was in Thailand. Before that I’d make 2 or 3 trips a year. I like the clubs and have success with apps, especially outside of Bangkok. If I have to have a preference, I’d go with the clubs/gogo bars mainly for the vibe of people watching or seeing the boys show their exhibitionist side.  I maintain a transactional relationship with several of the mamasans.  They keep me updated, they (sort of) know my preferences and give me a heads up.  A non-app, non-mamasan variation are previous offs who knowing my likes/dislikes make suggestions which are usually excellent. 
I know why I enjoy my visits and I know their is a financial aspect involved - it is what it is - so I go with what the moment,  venue, and person provides.  Kismet!

I wasn't really a fan of the gogo bars, mostly turned off by loud music and at times pushy people but I do hope they survive but it may take some tweaking for that to be. The beer bars are much better for me, where I can sit and enjoy a drink and a chat with the guys and I can see (hope) they also survive long term. For me I believe my favorite places, the massage parlors, will continue but how many and the quality is the question. Already it appears that 2 of my favourites have closed permanently, according to Google search but looking forward to the day I can return and have some fun and hopefully a decent massage as well. 

• Members

The OP says he can spend 3500 baht a night for a drink, a show, and take out. That translates to roughly US$100. For a night out and some time in, it's a bargain. Keep reflecting on what that same night would cost you in the US...if you could find it!

I find mamasans annoying and pushy, but I still prefer to see the guys on stage.

All that said, a Brazilian sauna experience beats them all. After 20 years of going to Thailand, I finally found the pot of gold!

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

The OP says he can spend 3500 baht a night for a drink, a show, and take out. That translates to roughly US$100. For a night out and some time in, it's a bargain. Keep reflecting on what that same night would cost you in the US...if you could find it!

I find mamasans annoying and pushy, but I still prefer to see the guys on stage.

All that said, a Brazilian sauna experience beats them all. After 20 years of going to Thailand, I finally found the pot of gold!

Can you give us more details about the Brazilian sauna scene in Brazil : prices, quality of the boys and what is going on there in general.

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

Due to COVID, my information is not up to date. May I suggest that you start a thread that encourages guys to post their Brazil experiences?

Good idea.    Even better, there's a Latin America section in the merged forum now for it to go in.

https://www.gayguides.com/forums/forum/55-latin-america-men-and-destinations/

As for a price comparison with the US, well of course it's cheaper in Thailand and should be as well, due to lower wages.  

However, I can make some other comparisons:

Bangkok:   2 x drink, off fee & short time tip:    THB 3500

Winner Boys Pattaya:  2 x drink, off fee and short time tip:   THB 2000     (And NO Mamasan :jig:)

Bangkok phone app:  1000~1500   [1500 is more common & although some readily agree to 1000, I would be likely to tip above that]

Now it's interesting to visit the bars in Bangkok, but there's no way I'd be visiting them every day of the trip, with perfectly good ways to have fun for half the money.