zombie

A Sad End

"A British man became yet another statistic of the insensitively named “Pattaya Flying Club” after he fell to his death at a condominium in the popular seaside resort. His Thai caretaker said the deceased had been depressed after losing his Thai boyfriend."

British man with depression falls to death from condo in Pattaya | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

4 hours ago, Ruthrieston said:

Sadly an old friend of mine killed himself in his condo on Friday morning, he was 89 years old and frail, tired and depressed. 

I only wish I could have helped him more

How dreadful! I wonder how long they had been together - quite a long time I expect. Losing a boy friend at that age must leave one with a horrible feeling of emptiness and no doubt fear for the future. I know from many of your earlier posts that you are one of the most caring of people. I doubt you could have done more.

While I agree with @reader that gay expats in Thailand tend not to be - as a general rule - very caring about fellow gay expats, I also agree with @Marc K and suspect quite a few do not consider their fellow gay men as a community any more. Time has moved on.

Perhaps I was lucky in that when i did move here, I already knew a couple of expats and several Thais. Now with a long-time Thai partner, I have a small group of gay friends, western and Thai. and he has a larger group of Thai friends. Fortunately he likes my friends and I really enjoy being with his friends. None of them know much about the gay scene except one who is still desperate to find a German boyfriend!

We do not go out to gay bars as we prefer an ambience that is not completely gay. In fact, my partner had never been to a gay bar until the friend desperate to meet a German took him to Soi 4 where they had a few drinks at Balcony. My partner said he would never go back. The reason? A few farang (probably tourists) came up to the two of them to ask them to go back for the night with them at the same time asking what fee to pay. When both politely would say 'no', the farang all basically told them to fuck off! 

I have met some other posters here and have arranged to meet another when he is next here. But we are all different and mixing with my existing friends gives me much enjoyment. For others I know it is different, and especially for those whose lives seem to revolve around a Thai or Asian boyfriend.

• Members
9 hours ago, Ruthrieston said:

Sadly an old friend of mine killed himself in his condo on Friday morning, he was 89 years old and frail, tired and depressed. I only wish I could have helped him more. I hope he finds peace now.

Sometime there is just nothing can be done to help in certain situation, especially if a senior has poor health, and no family members are willing to take up responsibility. 

12 hours ago, Marc K said:

We don't take very good care of "our kind" whether they be the elderly, the disabled, the dispossessed or despairing. Ask yourself the number of gay FRIENDS you actually have. For me I can count them on one hand, with a few fingers to spare. Buddies, many. Sexmates, who counts? Friends, well that's a different matter isn't it.

Your right  but after all we are men, like all men -  selfish, prone to brutality and rarely taking a shower other than on Friday

10 hours ago, PeterRS said:

..... took him to Soi 4 where they had a few drinks at Balcony. My partner said he would never go back. The reason? A few farang (probably tourists) came up to the two of them to ask them to go back for the night with them at the same time asking what fee to pay. When both politely would say 'no', the farang all basically told them to fuck off! 

console him that as time goes by his chances of being left alone there are increasing exponentially, take my word for that although  from time to time even I'm s asked by some familiar Banana or Jupiter boys going to work " when I go with you?"

8 hours ago, vinapu said:

console him that as time goes by his chances of being left alone there are increasing exponentially, take my word for that

Sorry I don't wish to take your word. My partner has not the slighest desire to go with anyone from a gay bar and the mention of money makes him feel unclean. He has a wonderful knack of making friends and keeping friends. I am sure he will settle down with another after I die or we split up for some reason. And his future is definitely in Europe, not Thailand.

20 hours ago, kokopelli3 said:

The only friends I have here in Pattaya are gay friends;  I would be lost without them! And we are concerned about one another.

Congrats, that's great! And your last sentence is the key. Not just drinking friends, or traveling friends, or companions, or sex-friends, or gabbing friends, but friends you can count on. And ask yourself how you can be counted on by others, too.

On 10/22/2023 at 1:14 PM, Marc K said:

Ok, call me sour if you like, but I think the term "Gay Community" is an oxymoron. Perhaps it is a remnant from earlier generations when our tribe had to hide and fear and fret, I don't know. We don't take very good care of "our kind" whether they be the elderly, the disabled, the dispossessed or despairing. Ask yourself the number of gay FRIENDS you actually have. For me I can count them on one hand, with a few fingers to spare. Buddies, many. Sexmates, who counts? Friends, well that's a different matter isn't it.

Where I come from - Asia - there used to be very little by way of a "community", if only because, as @Marc K observes, most of us were too busy maintaining facades and ensuring that our less licit activities remained under the radar. Growing up, the gay men around me were by and large judgmental, hierarchical, resentful. It wasn't great, to put it mildly. Things are a little better these days, thanks to the interwebs and the adoption of American notions of queer pride and community by a younger generation, but I still only have a small handful of gay friends. When I think of a "gay community", it isn't the pride parades that come to mind, but the sniping, morose, conflicted bunch in "The Boys in the Band" - which was brilliantly true to life. RIP Crowley and Friedkin.