Frippe83

Visa on arrival

Hey guys,

I have just got back from a 4 weeks amazing trip to pattaya. And now back in Sweden 17c outside haha…

I’m a bit bored and thinking go back again in a week or two. But I wonder how does it work If I got 30 days stamp on arrival and went home can I get a new visa on arrival with new 30days even if I’m jus been away from Thailand a few weeks?

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

yes you can as Barack Obama would say.

In May after week in Thailand I went to Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia for few days and upon return to Thailand I got another 30 days stamp.

When you leave your 30 days stamp is expiring and you will get new one upon return 

Obama did nothing but damage relations with Thailand. Not sure why he's relevant. He should go back to Ethiopia and retire in his country on birth. 
-
On the topic of entry stamps, nothing expired. If it had, you would be facing some issues. Overstay fines, marks in your passport causing you future problems. 

As the OP said, he entered on an 30 day exemption stamp. Those can be extended in country for 1900 baht at an immigration office of your choice, giving you 60 days in Thailand. There are no limit to how many 30 day exemptions you can have a year when arriving by plane, however you may be asked to provide evidence of the requirements. Proof of accommodation, proof of exit flight and proof of funds (20,000 baht) USD/GBP/EUR equivalent.  The only official limit is on land borders. 2 exemption stamps per calander year. 

While I am certain you wouldn't have a problem arriving and leaving internationally, even just a few weeks apart, it's always good to know the rules. Let's not listen to Obama lovers. They should probably go back to Ethiopia with him. 

Enjoy your trip. I'm sure you are excited to get back here. 

3 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Obama is relevent because he used to say 'yes we can" , that's why . He was born in Hawaii which is not part of Ethiopia for good 2127 years if not more. His father was from Kenia, bit closer to your target. Glad to inform you he retired in his country of birth i.e. USA ,no doubt taking your enlightened advice.

on topic of entry stamps , you right it can be extended while in country but that's no help to OP as  he already left. If one leaves , stamp expires  ie. if somebody has stamp till say Sept 1st but leaves Thailand today Aug 26  , can't return after tomorrow on Aug 28  for another few days using Sept 1st stamp , will receive another stamp for 30 days from Aug 28.

Rest your information about stamp is accurate and confirms  what I said in my original post so OP will be doing right thing taking both mine and your advice as they are all the same i.e. one can return to Thailand even day or two after leaving and will receive new 30 days stamp.

As for Ethiopia few pictures so you know what you are talking about :

Lol, democrat yanks. No sense of humour.

But thank you for the photos of shit hole countries. Reminds us where we shouldn't go. Lovely to see your CNN trash knowledge. He is African. Deal with it. Go cry to Biden. Trump 2024.  

-----

When you leave on a 30 day exemption is doesn't expire. You are stamped out, thus cancelled. If your exemption expired you would still be in country, and thus face fines, detention, and possible issues if you plan to re-enter in the future. Yes, one can return within a day or 2 for a new exemption, but people do get turned away when they used this entry method multiple times, especially in repetition. Immigration officers have the authority to turn people away, and they do it. Go read Thai Visa forums. 

2 hours ago, Boy69 said:

If you have return ticket it shouldn't be a Problem to receive another visa on arrival but if you do it too many times in calendari year the Thai immigration can refuse to let you in.

Just to be pedantic, sorry. A lot of western and neighboring Asian countries do not need visa on arrival In Thailand. It is 14-90  days visa exempt. Most gets the 30 days as I suppose it’s due to a bilateral agreement with each of them. 

Notable countries needing visa on arrival are China and India. They immediately pay some fees coming to Thailand.

Some of the lucky countries getting 90 days visa exempt are South Korea, Brazil and Argentina.

The new PM is talking about allowing everyone with a visa exemption to stay 90 days instead of 30 in an effort to boost tourism. I don't know how many tourists are able to even stay for 30 days let alone 90, but for retirees who want to stay for longer periods it would be good depending on how often you can do it

9 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

proof of exit flight

For two entries in relatively quick succession, this is important - less for Thai Immigration and more for the counter official when you check in at your departure airport. So please make sure you have evidence of a ticket out of Thailand ideally not less than 29 days after arrival (to be certain there is no confusion with night flights). Although living in Thailand, as a regular traveller I find I am increasingly asked either to show my visa or for proof of onward travel within 30 days when checking in overseas.

4 hours ago, fedssocr said:

The new PM is talking about allowing everyone with a visa exemption to stay 90 days instead of 30 in an effort to boost tourism. I don't know how many tourists are able to even stay for 30 days let alone 90, but for retirees who want to stay for longer periods it would be good depending on how often you can do it

The problem is not 30 Days or 90 days, the main problem is most of the countries needs to make a visa at the local Thai Embassy it's a frustrating process and you have to pay a fee for it, this causing lot of potential tourists to give up and look for other freindly destinations.

2 hours ago, Boy69 said:

The problem is not 30 Days or 90 days, the main problem is most of the countries needs to make a visa at the local Thai Embassy

What countries are you talking about? There are many visa excempt countries for min 30 days:

Andora, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein. Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Türkiye, Ukraine, UAE, UK, USA, Vietnam, Lao, Macau, Mongolia, Russia.

And besides that, some embassies introduced online visa application in recent years.

5 hours ago, Boy69 said:

The problem is not 30 Days or 90 days, the main problem is most of the countries needs to make a visa at the local Thai Embassy it's a frustrating process and you have to pay a fee for it, this causing lot of potential tourists to give up and look for other freindly destinations.

I recently applied for a 60-day visa and had it approved within three hours.

Just to clarify: "visa on arrival" and "visa exempt" are different things.

People from the countries in 10tazione's list are entitled to the visa-exampt 30 day stamp.

The 15-day "Visa on arrival" applies to citizens  of Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, and there is a desk in the airport before immigration where you apply for it. (caveat: this list came from some random web page so may not be 100% accurate!)

21 hours ago, Frippe83 said:

Hey guys,

I have just got back from a 4 weeks amazing trip to pattaya. And now back in Sweden 17c outside haha…

I’m a bit bored and thinking go back again in a week or two. But I wonder how does it work If I got 30 days stamp on arrival and went home can I get a new visa on arrival with new 30days even if I’m jus been away from Thailand a few weeks?

Frippe, you may need to be more specific about your situation, and be more exact about the words you use. Otherwise you may get conflicting advice.

If you are holding a Swedish passport, then you are "visa-exempt" for 30 days from date of arrival. You would have gotten an arrival stamp on your passport with date of admission and last date for departure included within the same stamp. I am also from a visa-exempt country and that is what I get each time I enter Thailand.

Please do not refer to that arrival stamp as a "visa" or "visa on arrival". It is not a visa at all.

When you flew out of Thailand, you would have gotten a departure stamp in your passport. That departure stamp effectively cancels your arrival stamp.

So, that means that once you leave Thailand, that arrival stamp is no more. You can enter Thailand again at anytime and get a new 30-day arrival stamp. I have done that many times. My trips to southeast Asia often involve more than one country, so for example, I go to Bangkok, then to Jakarta, then to Singapore, then back to Bangkok... all in the same month. When i enter Bangkok a second time (in same month), I get a new arrival stamp.

Obviously, you shouldn't do this like 25 times a year. It will arouse suspicion.

11 hours ago, Boy69 said:

he main problem is most of the countries needs to make a visa at the local Thai Embassy it's a frustrating process and you have to pay a fee for it, this causing lot of potential tourists to give up and look for other freindly destinations.

you are on something, I know at least 3 people who travel a lot  but not to countries requiring visa in advance. 

• Members
3 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Obviously, you shouldn't do this like 25 times a year. It will arouse suspicion.

My impression is that Thai Immigration is definitely cracking down visa runs, where one departs for another country & returns the same day (or the next day).

• Members
16 hours ago, vinapu said:

as they say in Ethiopia, best cops are former thieves, most faithful wives are former whores and best immigration experts are those who stay in country illegally or legally but under false pretences

Are best Johns former prostitutes too?

8 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

Just to clarify: "visa on arrival" and "visa exempt" are different things.

People from the countries in 10tazione's list are entitled to the visa-exampt 30 day stamp.

The 15-day "Visa on arrival" applies to citizens  of Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, and there is a desk in the airport before immigration where you apply for it. (caveat: this list came from some random web page so may not be 100% accurate!)

Thanks for the clarification it's more clear now. 

If I count the number of countries that eligible for Visa exemption/visa on arrival it's roughly third countries of the world, this leaves two third of the other countries to do visa at the local embassy, It's very rigid immigration policy that wasn't like that at my first visit to Thailand 24 years ago. I asked my Colombian boyfriend if he wants to travel to Thailand with me he must do visa at the local Thai Embassy in Bogota and he's refusing to do so all he said let's look for more friendly countries to visit.I don't blame him .

On 8/27/2023 at 8:28 AM, fedssocr said:

This would be excellent even if I won’t count on it. There was recently the 45 day visa exempt post Covid and they didn’t even extended it. 
Anyway, personally, this is a perfect solution for me as I decided to pre retire elsewhere in Asia while frequently visiting Thailand. I was looking for a way to spend 2-3 months for a couple of times and there are no easy solution except perhaps the 60 day outright visa. 
the retirement extension O A was the best option until they imposed an insurance requirements among other things. 
in any case, I’ll just go for frequent <30 days travel for now. I’m also visiting a lot of other Asian countries so it is fine as it is. 
However, in the future, my heart is set on just going to Thailand and Japan. 
Ironically, Japan gives me 90 day stay on each arrival. However, it’s economically unfeasible for me to stay there that long. If only I can flip the rules of the 2 countries 😂