Shonen

Nice Boys going upscale

They did a nice job on the lighting and new wall paper. Hoping the new policy doesn’t last long.

Went there a few nights ago and one of the workers coming out of 7/11 told me they don’t show anymore.

Inside there were about 10 guys with no junk out. Unusual but it stayed that way for the 90 minutes I was there. The owner doesn’t want the guys going up to customers for tips. He wants you to buy a drink or he tells the boy to get back on stage.

The boys don’t like this as it cuts into their tips. One guy I tip 100 baht for a minute was with me and ordered back on stage. There’s no way I’m buying him a drink. But I’ll tip him if he wants.

The staff inside aren’t strict like the owner. Luckily the owner is usually outside. 

Obviously they want to sell more drinks and don’t want the customer who buys himself a drink and none for a boy. If you want to put your hands on one you might have to buy another drink.

I had similar experience on my last visit. I wanted to have a quick grope and asked the boy to sit, but the mamasan (old katoey with the long hair) said I must buy him a drink. this will surely make getting tips more difficult for them. there's a caricature of a farang on stage with 2 dates - I guess he has passed on. Was he the original owner or just one of the great customers? 

the boy's drink is already ice with some cola - I think for 300 Baht, they should at least give a full bottle of beer or cola. My guy finished his drink with 3 gulps.

• Members
22 minutes ago, orson said:

I had similar experience on my last visit. I wanted to have a quick grope and asked the boy to sit, but the mamasan (old katoey with the long hair) said I must buy him a drink. this will surely make getting tips more difficult for them. there's a caricature of a farang on stage with 2 dates - I guess he has passed on. Was he the original owner or just one of the great customers? 

the boy's drink is already ice with some cola - I think for 300 Baht, they should at least give a full bottle of beer or cola. My guy finished his drink with 3 gulps.

I am sorry that you are not willing to pay a 300 baht drink + tip to have a grope of the boy.  Maybe that's just too expensive for you.  People go to Thailand for the cheap fun after all.

31 minutes ago, orson said:

there's a caricature of a farang on stage with 2 dates - I guess he has passed on. Was he the original owner or just one of the great customers? 

Charlie from New York was a great customer of Nice Boys and has passed on.

Two of the Nice Boys were looking for customers late morning in Jomtien Complex recently as they said they were not getting tips like before the bar changed to the current format.

1 hour ago, Shonen said:

The boys don’t like this as it cuts into their tips. One guy I tip 100 baht for a minute was with me and ordered back on stage. There’s no way I’m buying him a drink. But I’ll tip him if he wants.

It cuts their tips, but doesn't cuts their income: normally boys have 100 Bahts commission from drinks. So for them tips or drinks is the same.

This is a second-hand opinion...I haven't been to NB for many years... and it comes from a local, Thai guy. He thinks that, unlike most other bars, the NB guys overwhelmingly earn their keep from tips collected in the bar rather than offs. Is that possible? Maybe. It's hardly scientific but when I read about the bar here, the posts seem to concentrate on happenings in the bar rather than in the bedroom.

16 hours ago, Moses said:

It cuts their tips, but doesn't cuts their income: normally boys have 100 Bahts commission from drinks. So for them tips or drinks is the same.

not sure 100 baht commission   it's a case in every bar, I asked few  boys here and there and they quoted me as low as 50 in some bars. 

12 hours ago, Londoner said:

This is a second-hand opinion...I haven't been to NB for many years... and it comes from a local, Thai guy. He thinks that, unlike most other bars, the NB guys overwhelmingly earn their keep from tips collected in the bar rather than offs. Is that possible? Maybe. It's hardly scientific but when I read about the bar here, the posts seem to concentrate on happenings in the bar rather than in the bedroom.

Generally speaking we can only second guess  boys earnings. They are only ones who know the truth about tips , commissions and money extracted from farangs to replenish dead buffalos or fund surgery for grandma who died 23 years ago. Even most popular guys have dry periods without offs or tips. 

8 hours ago, Shonen said:

It’s kind of rare seeing any of the boys taken off. Most survive from tips in the bar. There’s a high turnover rate. Marc is always there though.

now when everybody has phone and may be on apps fact they are not taken off doesn't mean they weren't busy in gainful employment during day or well after bar is closed

36 minutes ago, vinapu said:

now when everybody has phone and may be on apps fact they are not taken off doesn't mean they weren't busy in gainful employment during day or well after bar is closed

True, I just saw a former Good Boy on a date. Thought he was past his prime but apparently still hustling.

Interesting topic. In one respect, today's mbs are fortunate. Back in the day, before the advent of the dating sites and Social Media,  there was little  chance of earning much between the closing and the reopening of the go go bars. Yes, there was the beach and I recall Royal Garden being a popular meeting place in its early days,  but limited opportunities were available.

But now, punters and mbs can meet 24/7. And who would have thought that some can hold down two jobs simultaneously? Sitting outside a JC bar, eyeing passing trade and at the same time scrolling through hornet!

7 hours ago, Londoner said:

Interesting topic. In one respect, today's mbs are fortunate. Back in the day, before the advent of the dating sites and Social Media,  there was little  chance of earning much between the closing and the reopening of the go go bars. Yes, there was the beach and I recall Royal Garden being a popular meeting place in its early days,  but limited opportunities were available.

But now, punters and mbs can meet 24/7. And who would have thought that some can hold down two jobs simultaneously? Sitting outside a JC bar, eyeing passing trade and at the same time scrolling through hornet!

Maybe good news for the boys but bad news for the bars it's the main reason of the bars declining .I am not sure what is better in the past the bar scene was thrilling and lively with lots of venues and boys to choose from but not anymore on the other hand you have now the option to invite boys directly to you 24/7 and avoid the costs of the bar.

21 minutes ago, Shonen said:

Me too! Bars you know what you’re getting. Last night I checked hornet, a guy looked good, but he was a Lao man I’ve known for years who works in a bar. He used the app that changes his eyes to look younger. So many fakes on the apps. 
And just a body shot is useless to me, I want to see the face also.

A good body is expected. But it is always the face that seals the deal for me.

9 hours ago, vinapu said:

I for one gladly pay whatever bars are trying to extort from me since i fund sitting in the room and combing apps much more boring then sipping me Chang in the bars. And if I find someone I know right away who shows at my door. But that's just me 

Worth remembering that the bar itself is being asked to pay for eyes to suddenly go blind whenever they inspect what the bar does.

14 hours ago, vinapu said:

I for one gladly pay whatever bars are trying to extort from me since i fund sitting in the room and combing apps much more boring then sipping me Chang in the bars. And if I find someone I know right away who shows at my door. But that's just me 

Yes I agree with you but I prefer the gay scene at the pre smartphones era it was so thrilling and adventurous and I met so many lovely boys some really boyfriend material, Can't say that about the current gay scene in Thailand very depressing Sunee Plaza and Paradise Complex (Phuket) almost gone Jomtien Complex is not for me , Boyz Town shrinking and expensive, Maybe Patpong kept some of its glory days.