forrestreid

Raid on Dream Boys Pattaya

I see that Dream Boys Pattaya was raided last night.

Gambling and foreign workers were found, but thankfully, no prostitution.

The Pattaya News website has a video of it all. Raid was prompted by reports from "a concerned citizen".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V75aC20mMHs&ab_channel=ThePattayaNewsThailand

Wonder who the boss pissed off?

Normally they’d be fined and required to leave because they’re not here legally. Unless they had prior history of violations they would not usually be banned from returning at later date.

Prostitution is difficult to prove and that’s not the objective police commonly have in these types of raids. Evidence of gambling,  illegal workers and licensing issues is easily obtained.

Here’s excerpt from Pattaya News article:

According to reports, the gambling suspects were charged with gambling. The ten migrant workers faced charges for working illegally. The bar operator, on the other hand, was charged for hiring illegal migrant workers and also operating an entertainment venue without the necessary license but was not immediately identified.

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/11/01/pattaya-gogo-bar-raid-finds-suspected-gamblers-and-alleged-illegal-migrant-workers-say-police/

The impetus for the raid may have little to do with they type of venue but rather reflects the priorities of the new commissioner general who spent 17 years of his career in the Crime Suppression Division. His selection caught some of the old guard in the  usual line of succession to the top. This profile article from Thai PBS World brings his career into focus.

Torsak Sukvimol: The controversial rise of Thailand’s new police chief

Thailand’s new police chief, Pol General Torsak Sukvimol, is a non-cadet who joined the force at the age of 33, but then quickly rose through the ranks.

Torsak, 59, is the 14th commissioner-general of the Royal Thai Police since the force was upgraded from the Police Department in 1998.

Continues at

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/torsak-sukvimol-the-controversial-rise-of-thailands-new-police-chief/

I feel sorry for the Laos/Cambodian guys arrested and deported. Many gay venues won't survive without foreign workers. 

But I do have one amusing memory of a raid in Sunee back in the day....I was sitting in Corner Bar as news came that the Fuzz were on their way. The doors of Sundance Bar were flung open and  a dozen guys  scuttled down the soi, simultaneously trying to  put  their trousers on (pants for US readers)  like characters in a French bedroom farce.

The police never arrived.

During the years 2004 to 2010 I remember raids by the bib were fairly common particularly in Sunee. If you were present the routine was to divest yourself of any boy with you and sit quietly while they checked boys I’d cards and possibly performed drug tests. Normally you would be allowed to leave without difficulty early in the proceedings.

On 11/2/2023 at 12:04 PM, caeron said:

Seems they're a bit crazy about the gambling there. Some years back they raided the bridge club, sure that with all those cards gambling must be going on...

Remember the 'bridge' raid? 
A group of farang pensioners, including an honorary vice consul, was raided and all arrested (some in their 80s) for gambling when playing bridge.
They were carted off to the nick and after a long time it was pointed out to the police that bridge is in fact not gambling (and in fact at the same time the world international bridge conference was being held in a top Bangkok hotel).
Not to lose face, the BIB had to find something illegal and came up with  an old law that prohibits people being in possession of a certain number of decks of playing cards (about 7?).
T.I.T.

16 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

Remember the 'bridge' raid? 
A group of farang pensioners, including an honorary vice consul, was raided and all arrested (some in their 80s) for gambling when playing bridge.
They were carted off to the nick and after a long time it was pointed out to the police that bridge is in fact not gambling (and in fact at the same time the world international bridge conference was being held in a top Bangkok hotel).
Not to lose face, the BIB had to find something illegal and came up with  an old law that prohibits people being in possession of a certain number of decks of playing cards (about 7?).
T.I.T.

God! 

I would recommend reading Barry Kenyons book relating his role as the British Vice Consul in Pattaya, when a big part of his job was helping “Brits in the Shit”.  The book also,covers the Bridge Club arrests, when the bib noticed a small amount of money on a table (very suspicious). It turned out to be members contributions towards the purchase of tea and coffee consumed during breaks in play.